fygme requirments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to straighten out my fourth year schedule and am having some serious issues. I can't figure out at which point you have to have all your third year required rotations done in the FYGME application process. The reason is that I'm hoping to push back my OB-gyn rotation as far as possible to allow a maximum number of rotations at military hospitals (since that really helps you get in). Could I do OB/gyn in december? Or does the grade have to be in for the selection process?

Also, what is the latest you can do an audition ADT? Is November too late to help with getting accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Sledge2005
Hey, I'm trying to straighten out my fourth year schedule and am having some serious issues. I can't figure out at which point you have to have all your third year required rotations done in the FYGME application process. The reason is that I'm hoping to push back my OB-gyn rotation as far as possible to allow a maximum number of rotations at military hospitals (since that really helps you get in). Could I do OB/gyn in december? Or does the grade have to be in for the selection process?

Also, what is the latest you can do an audition ADT? Is November too late to help with getting accepted?

i'm not aware that there were any time-based requirements for FYGME. passing your boards and graduating i think is all they care about, lol. do ob/gyn whenever you can.

November would be a bit late, because your preference list is due in October. however, the board doesn't meet until the latter part of November so you could conceivably rotate at a program you had *already* ranked. I would jsut be 100% sure you wanted to rank that program where you ranked them. however, one thing that struck me about the FYGME selection board is that they really try to put people where they want. meaning that even though there is a pref list, if you know the program directors and let them know where you want to go, they can help arrange things accordingly. no one wants an unhappy pissy resident in their program :)

Hey, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, does that mean that I could theoretically do my OB-gyn rotation after the whole application phase is over? That would be awesome b/c then I could actually rotate at more then one or two of the army's hospitals!

Originally posted by Sledge2005
Hey, thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, does that mean that I could theoretically do my OB-gyn rotation after the whole application phase is over? That would be awesome b/c then I could actually rotate at more then one or two of the army's hospitals!

yes. as long as you meet your schools requirements you should be fine.

for ADTs i would recommend finding another HPSPer who is rotating and join them on a non-ADT. you can stay with them (for free) and still get some exposure at a program you're interested in. trade a few ADT's like this and you can get 3 or 4 rotations at army facilities at negligible expense to you.

if you're going to Ft. Sam on a non-ADT, ask for an attic room in the visiting officers quarters. you'll have to share a bathroom with one other room, but it's only like $15 a night-- and you get a separate sleeping area, TV/VCR, fridge, microwave, and daily maid service. not too shabby :)