Gap year advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbpinsight

Reaction score
I had a pretty unsuccessful and lackluster cycle this year so I am preparing for a reapp. I think my lack of success can be attributed to my stats and the fact I applied on the later end of the cycle. The story here is that I got my ass kicked my first two years of undergrad but really turned around in the back half with a strong upward trajectory in my GPA. I ended up repeating a few classes so depending how you calculate my GPA I'm between a 3.33-3.55 cumulative. But if you just count my last four semesters I'm sitting at a 3.7. I ended up not doing as well as I would have liked to on my first MCAT (503) and decided to speed run a second MCAT(505) and apply anyway which is why I ended up on the back end of the cycle. While I know this is not the ideal I felt like either way I probably am going to have to take a gap year so I may as well take the risky route and it may pay off. Spoiler alert it did not.

ECs were pretty solid in my opinion which is why I feel like it was probably a combination of my stats and when I applied. I'll list them briefly so you can get the full picture.

3 years of volunteer research with two conference presentations of my senior thesis for the honors program. Also worked on data analytics for several master's student theses.
3 years of employment as a pharmacy technician.
served in a mentorship program for honors students.
worked as a news reporter for the school paper
went on two medical mission trips
participated in several service clubs on campus
shadowing is standard nothing exciting here but present.
took emt and cna courses in high school. participated in the related student orgs.

So I guess this leads me to where I am now. I've been trying to really focus on a plan to use this gap time as productively as I can so I can have a great cycle in 2026. I have been admitted to a traditional master's program. I'm choosing to do this over smp or post bacc because it's allowing me to continue my research from undergrad which feels more valuable to me than the other options. The program is a masters of medical science so it basically follows pre-med curriculum. My school just doesn't have an associated medical school so there's not a direct link to make it fit an smp or post bacc despite having really similar courses from my understanding. I know my GPA needs a bit of help which is why I'm going this route but aside from that what should I be doing? Should I take the MCAT again? Is there a gap in my ECs that I'm overlooking? I'm planning on still working as a pharm tech and TAing A&P through my masters program for context. Obviously I'm planning on applying much earlier in 2026 as well which I hope will help. But even if I can pull a 515 and a 3.8+ while in the program, will it be enough?

I feel like I spend so much time staring at this and talking to my friends and family about it that I have application hypnosis. I really just need an objective fresh set of eyes. Also, if anyone has any advice on things for me to include in the 'what have I done to improve between cycles' question thats on a lot of the secondaries that would also be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Please follow the template.

We don't have your application, but what you don't seem to have is any community service/ service orientation activities. Most schools reject applications without at least 150 hours at submission. Since your don't describe any, I have to assume this was not a priority in your application either.

Reactions: 1 user
How late in the cycle did you apply? What schools did you apply to? What state do you have residence in?

Agreed with Smile...focus on getting some non-clinical service (i.e. food pantry, soup kitchen, tax preparation, or any other type of service where you are directly providing time to underserved communities). Fill out the WAMC though and we may be able to give more helpful advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please follow the template.

We don't have your application, but what you don't seem to have is any community service/ service orientation activities. Most schools reject applications without at least 150 hours at submission. Since your don't describe any, I have to assume this was not a priority in your application either.
I see where you are coming from. I do have some volunteer activities listed in my application but I wouldn't say it's anything to write home about. I have my two medical mission trips listed which were out of a non-religious group and involvement with red cross and circle k in undergrad. So it was more so volunteering through these groups at different organizations than an extended experience with one group if that makes sense. So I think the 150 hours is definitely there but maybe I need to consider how I'm presenting it? Or should I really have more of a prolonged experience with an organization?

Thanks for the WAMC tip. I'm obviously new here after a suggestion from a friend so still finding my way around :)

How late in the cycle did you apply? What schools did you apply to? What state do you have residence in?

Agreed with Smile...focus on getting some non-clinical service (i.e. food pantry, soup kitchen, tax preparation, or any other type of service where you are directly providing time to underserved communities). Fill out the WAMC though and we may be able to give more helpful advice.
I applied end of August. I'm a Michigan resident and want to stay close-ish so I applied to all the MI schools (MD + DO), Indiana, University of Toledo, Cincinnati, Ohio University, and Wright State. I'm willing to expand this next cycle depending on what happens.

I applied end of August. I'm a Michigan resident and want to stay close-ish so I applied to all the MI schools (MD + DO), Indiana, University of Toledo, Cincinnati, Ohio University, and Wright State. I'm willing to expand this next cycle depending on what happens.
Expanding is good.

I see where you are coming from. I do have some volunteer activities listed in my application but I wouldn't say it's anything to write home about. I have my two medical mission trips listed which were out of a non-religious group and involvement with red cross and circle k in undergrad. So it was more so volunteering through these groups at different organizations than an extended experience with one group if that makes sense. So I think the 150 hours is definitely there but maybe I need to consider how I'm presenting it? Or should I really have more of a prolonged experience with an organization?

Thanks for the WAMC tip. I'm obviously new here after a suggestion from a friend so still finding my way around :)
I think what Mr. Smile meant by service is non-medical service — the mission trips would count as medical service. Specifically look into doing one of these: food distribution, shelter work, tax preparation, transport services or housing rehabilitation (specifically for underserved communities). These are the types of non-clinical activities that med schools are looking for.

Reactions: 1 users