Most productive gap year option

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigAL69

Reaction score
The upcoming 2024 cycle will be my third application cycle, I did not submit any secondaries the first round. So from now till July and then after, I am trying to game plan what options will be most beneficial for my application and life.

Options:
  1. DIY Post Bac- science GPA on the lower side and minimal upper science courses
  2. SMP- prove can handle material despite lower GPA, access to faculty
  3. Accelerated MPH- miss classroom, solidify my narrative about community health and public policy and aligns with my background interests/activities, currently I have no undergrad debt
  4. Medical Assistant- clinical hours, loved my job but would probably switch to a different specialty, LOW SALARY
  5. Research Coordinator- sounds cool, more clinical and research hours, decent pay, SO FAR NO LUCK BEING HIRED
  6. Other Job- make $$$ and just bolster app with volunteering

My background from last ap:
  • State/Country of Residence: FL
  • Major: Political Science
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.57
    • upward trend except Junior Spring during COVID and got a C+ in Orgo2
  • Science GPA: 3.39
  • MCAT Score(s): 503 -> 512
  • Research Experience: nothing crazy just a RA in Psychology lab (110 hours)
  • Clinical Experience: MA (1103 hours) was full time job last year for 8 months, Hospice Volunteer (40 hours)- stopped taking volunteers during covid
  • Physician Shadowing: Plastic, Derm, Virtual (90 hours)
  • Non-Clinical Volunteering: Cancer Action Network Ambassador (50 hours- still active), Habitat for Humanity (135- ongoing), Wildlife Sanctuary (58), Animal fostering
  • Other Employment History: Food industry (290), Child Care (440-ongoing), Resident Assistant (1 semester/110)
  • Other: State government internship (640), TA microbiology (1 semester), Caretaker for family member (336)- was a shared responsibility, Student Government leadership positions (100)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1 or 2 addresses the most likely deficiency if you need to make sure you are establishing the upward trend. 3 will not help.

Did you get any interviews from previous cycles? I don't understand exactly what you did in your other two cycles (no secondaries for both cycles??).

Pick door #2. Options 3-6 will not get you into medical school.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Where did you apply? Any interviews?

If those MA hours came after you submitted, that is one major reason you are a reapplicant. The MPH will not help your app. It is expected that students will get a 4.0 in these kinds of programs, and if your government internship was focused on health policy, that would show your interest on its own.

Get some in-person shadowing with primary care and other specialities. Virtual hours don’t count and you want to have 50 or more total in-person. Continue doing Habitat for Humanity and pursue other volunteering that helps the underserved such as at your local homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank etc.

Your sGPA is probably at the 10th percentile or lower for most MD schools. Chances would be best at your state schools and schools that are service-oriented (which you had little of, especially if the hours you posted are updated to present day). You will need DO schools as well, and these often require a physician LOR. The MA job gives you the best chance of obtaining this, so leave on good terms if you do decide to pursue a different clinic/job.