Gap year advice/ where do I stand?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KristenD77

Predent
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just received my B.S degree in Biology and I'm currently taking a gap year to improve my chances for getting accepted into medical school. I was hoping someone can tell me how my chances are and what I can do to improve. I know my grades aren't idealistic but I hope that studying long and hardcore for my MCAT will make up for that. I plan to begin studying this February and take the MCATs in September. I'm currently taking A&P 11 right now even though I graduated already partially because I was playing around with the idea of doing PA school and partially because it was a class that I really wanted to take. Here is a list of my academics and experience, please be honest but not harsh!
Academics=
cGPA= 3.46
MD sGPA=something in the lower 3.4s
DO sGPA=3.57
^ I took a 6 calc class that really harmed my GPA. I thought about retaking it but due to my busy schedule and wanting to focus on studying for the MCAT I figured it would just be worse to retake it and not get a great grade.
Ws=2
thinking about getting my associates in American Sign Language- English interpretation because I have already taken most of the classes and would finish before medical school. It is something I'm really passionate about and plan to talk about how I want to sufficiently communicate with my deaf patients. Also I figured it could be a great way to make some cash while I'm in medical school.

Research=
1 year with echolocation/ White Nose Fungus syndrome on bats in my city
1 semester of diabetes research

Clinical experience=
I have a phlebotomy certification
I just started a new job as a PCA at a well known hospital.... (we draw blood, take EKGs and do CNA duties as well)
I have 2 years of experience as a Dental Assistant
I shadowed an NP in OBGYN
By the time I apply I will have 200 hours volunteering in the ER between two different hospitals
In May I will be going to Nicaragua for 10 days as a volunteer for a medical/public health brigade! ( super excited and this includes shadowing doctors)

Community Service=
Hosted a bone marrow drive
volunteered at deaf events
and I'm planning to join a toastmasters organization at my new job

I'm also a Caucasian NY resident and worked through out college

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
September is too late to take the MCAT if you plan to apply in 2015. Ideally you would take the MCAT in May then apply in June when your scores are available and submit your secondaries by July. An early application is important, especially with your relatively low GPA. If your MCAT score is the equivalent of the upper 20's or higher apply to all 4 SUNY schools and consider schools such as Albany, New York Medical College, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State, Commonwealth (PA), Western Michigan and Oakland Beaumont and any new private MD schools that open in 2016 ( there may be 2 or 3 ). Realistically, you should also be applying to DO schools. Apply to at least 10 with the same time frame as MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs look good, but I recommend more substantial/long term community service experiences.

Your GPAs are fine (less than ideal, but still acceptable), and the only piece of the puzzle left is the MCAT. Study hard for the new MCAT and get a great score.

If you can score the equivalent of a 33+, then you should have a good shot at many MD schools. Good luck!

September is too late to take the MCAT if you plan to apply in 2015. Ideally you would take the MCAT in May then apply in June when your scores are available and submit your secondaries by July. An early application is important, especially with your relatively low GPA. If your MCAT score is the equivalent of the upper 20's or higher apply to all 4 SUNY schools and consider schools such as Albany, New York Medical College, Quinnipiac, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Penn State, Commonwealth (PA), Western Michigan and Oakland Beaumont and any new private MD schools that open in 2016 ( there may be 2 or 3 ). Realistically, you should also be applying to DO schools. Apply to at least 10 with the same time frame as MD.
Thank you, I will appreciate your advice and will try to follow it

It is quite rare to have the time or capacity to work in medical school.
We strongly discourage it.
I was thinking about only doing per diem or freelance, this way I will have no real scheduled commitment

Your ECs look good, but I recommend more substantial/long term community service experiences.

Your GPAs are fine (less than ideal, but still acceptable), and the only piece of the puzzle left is the MCAT. Study hard for the new MCAT and get a great score.

If you can score the equivalent of a 33+, then you should have a good shot at many MD schools. Good luck!

Thank you, I really appreciate it and I will definitely try!

Reactions: 1 user