Gap year plans in secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gothpanic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
So I've noticed that a bunch of secondaries ask about your gap year plans. I plan to continue doing what I'm doing right now (clinical and non-clinical volunteering) and get a clinical job for the first time. My question is, if I don't know what kind of clinical job I'm getting, should I just leave it at that or try to get a bit more detailed? like is it better to say, "I'm looking to work at X hospital because they serve Y population, etc"
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can say whatever you want. They want to know what you'll be doing, not so much what you'd maybe like to possibly be doing. If you talk about something you have not actually lined up, it will be given the weight it deserves.

You can say whatever you want. They want to know what you'll be doing, not so much what you'd maybe like to possibly be doing. If you talk about something you have not actually lined up, it will be given the weight it deserves.
That makes sense. It's just that I'm planning to turn in secondaries pretty early, and I'm still job hunting at the moment. Guess I'll focus more on the extracurriculars I'm doing and just mention that I'm applying for clinical jobs. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
That makes sense. It's just that I'm planning to turn in secondaries pretty early, and I'm still job hunting at the moment. Guess I'll focus more on the extracurriculars I'm doing and just mention that I'm applying for clinical jobs. Thanks!
No problem. People are constantly, obsessively looking for reasons to reach out to schools with updates in an attempt to draw attention to their applications. This will give you a built-in, legitimate reason to do so once you actually line up a job and then have something substantive to say about it. It's all good, and not having specifics to talk about now is not going to hold you back at all. Good luck!!!