Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just had a quick question. I am graduating this May 2015 after 4 years at my college. I will attain my BS. I am applying JUNE 2015, will hopefully interview in fall of 2015 to matriculate into medical school in Fall 2016. Am I taking a "gap year?" I realize i will have a year in between medical school and the completion of undergraduate. My main point is do I have to fill out the extra essays/parts of AMCAS saying "what I did after graduating before APPLYING to medical school?" Because I graduate in Late May and will apply very early in June so I'm just confused about that technicality. Thanks for clearing this up folks, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I just had a quick question. I am graduating this May 2015 after 4 years at my college. I will attain my BS. I am applying JUNE 2015, will hopefully interview in fall of 2015 to matriculate into medical school in Fall 2016. Am I taking a "gap year?" I realize i will have a year in between medical school and the completion of undergraduate. My main point is do I have to fill out the extra essays/parts of AMCAS saying "what I did after graduating before APPLYING to medical school?" Because I graduate in Late May and will apply very early in June so I'm just confused about that technicality. Thanks for clearing this up folks, good luck!

Yes. You'd fill out questions that ask "what do you plan on doing from now until matriculation."

Yes. You'd fill out questions that ask "what do you plan on doing from now until matriculation."

ASDLFKJVLNKASGRNIOPSDV darn I was hoping to avoid that.

My problem is that I geared myself up to apply at the end of junior year, but my MCAT score wasn't good enough, so I postponed up until 1 month ago, pushing me into this new cycle.

Does a gap year look good? Bad? Is it stigmatized in any way? Is it neutral? My pre med advisor told me the "best applicants are those who are in junior year who apply and interview senior year and matriculate directly after graduation. Everyone with a gap year is automatically lowered in application status/ranking upon applying." Is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)

My problem is that I geared myself up to apply at the end of junior year, but my MCAT score wasn't good enough, so I postponed up until 1 month ago, pushing me into this new cycle.

Does a gap year look good? Bad? Is it stigmatized in any way? Is it neutral? My pre med advisor told me the "best applicants are those who are in junior year who apply and interview senior year and matriculate directly after graduation. Everyone with a gap year is automatically lowered in application status/ranking upon applying." Is this true?
Depends on what you do during the gap year, but it is in no way inherently bad.

I'm by no means an expert, but this question interested me too since I'm now in my second gap year.

From what I've read from med students, pre meds and adcoms on SDN, a gap year is on average just neutral, with some schools even preferring non-trads that have had interesting experiences. I guess it just depends on what you spend your gap year doing. "Chillin" would be a negative, researching/taking extra classes and volunteering would be neutral, doing a year abroad to teach/work/research in underserved communities would probably be a positive.

A lot of premeds take a year off, and not just one year.

Just do something meaningful.

Posted using SDN Mobile

lol more collateral damage from idiot "advisors," who, if they had better abilities and job prospects, would not be sitting at any old school giving outdated or just plain wrong information most of the time.

SDN knows what he's saying is bullsh*it. Use the search function and you'll see years of the same opinions being posted. My experience at my top 5 undergrad is that the ones who go straight through or do something meaningful with a gap year perform equally well; most everyone ends up at a really good, research-heavy, top 20 school. Find a job, beef up your app, have something good to write in that box where you explain what you're doing during your gap year, and it's basically a neutral component of your app.

Reactions: 1 user
lol more collateral damage from idiot "advisors," who, if they had better abilities and job prospects, would not be sitting at any old school giving outdated or just plain wrong information most of the time.
+ ∞

This is of concern to me as well as I am going to have a 20 month(!) gap between graduation and hopeful matriculation, b/c I'm graduating in the winter instead of late spring. I'm in the same situation as OP in that I applying the cycle following graduation. My plan is to graduate, take the MCAT in ~mid April and apply that summer, then work as a substitute HS teacher for the remainder of my time whilst shadowing and doing a bit of volunteering.

Gaps are generally seen as good as long as you do something with them.

I'm by no means an expert, but this question interested me too since I'm now in my second gap year.

From what I've read from med students, pre meds and adcoms on SDN, a gap year is on average just neutral, with some schools even preferring non-trads that have had interesting experiences. I guess it just depends on what you spend your gap year doing. "Chillin" would be a negative, researching/taking extra classes and volunteering would be neutral, doing a year abroad to teach/work/research in underserved communities would probably be a positive.

A lot of premeds take a year off, and not just one year.

Just do something meaningful.

Posted using SDN Mobile
Haha I was just planning on research and volunteering, how come thats just a neutral vs. A positive?

Most applicants in my interview trail are taking gap years. it seems to be more and more common nowadays. As long as you do something productive, it should generally be looked upon as a positive for your application and gives you something extra to talk about.

Haha I was just planning on research and volunteering, how come thats just a neutral vs. A positive?
omg premeds..

No aspect of the admissions process is an isolated, two-outcome game. None of us are going to know whether your gap year is going to be neutral or positive based on what you do. No one is going to be able to tell you this, and anyone who says they know can go eat sh*it. We just know a plan like that will not be looked down upon.

Well, it really depends on a whole lot. It's just my pov that research and volunteering would be a baseline minimum to not hurt your application during a gap year. Some schools may see it that way, other may not, it's really a subjective topic. Top tier schools would probably want to see some grand story behind everything you do, something really meaningful, others may just want you to do something that will allow you to practice some skills or develop your desire to help people. It's really subjective, very little is cut and dry in this process, that's why you'll keep hearing that it's "such a random process."

In any case, you're in for a gap year, so start hunting for the most meaningful thing now!

Posted using SDN Mobile

So, would you like yours with ketchup or mustard with your order?
You're not reading properly.

None of us are going to know whether your gap year is going to be neutral or positive based on what you do.
v.
We just know a plan like that will not be looked down upon.

Get it?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not reading properly.

None of us are going to know whether your gap year is going to be neutral or positive based on what you do.
v.
We just know a plan like that will not be looked down upon.

Get it?

Put either way, still seems like a two-outcome game

Posted using SDN Mobile

Put either way, still seems like a two-outcome game
Are you challenged?

Can you seriously not understand what I'm saying to OP, are you just that desperate look dumb over the Internet?

QUESTION:

What is a stronger letter of rec? Personal from a state school, or one I get from a year at a top-tier institution (hopefully the researcher will get to know me by that point)?

MY SITUATION:
My undergrad is a public college (state school). I have done a lot of great work here in the hospital we are affiliated with for the past 2 years. My research adviser offered me a technician spot (paid) for the next year (gap year). I've done a lot of good stuff in the lab, but I feel like I've maxed out.

My question is should I stick around here or move on to a bigger/better hospital and institution? I live 20 minutes away from one of the nations top hospitals (top 3). Would research/networking there and a letter of rec be stronger than my letter of rec if I continue to hang around at my current state school next year?

Are you challenged?

Can you seriously not understand what I'm saying to OP, are you just that desperate look dumb over the Internet?

Don't think I'm challenged, definitely not desperate to look anything over the Internet.

I know what you're trying to say, but you still kind of contradict yourself, since a gap year can still be looked down upon. Relax there bud, a simple internet misunderstanding over literal nonsense is not worth the nerve nor breaking your keyboard over. Seriously, you need a chill pill, or a turd sandwich.

Anyway, I'm not replying to anything else you say. My time is valuable to me. God bless

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
QUESTION:

What is a stronger letter of rec? Personal from a state school, or one I get from a year at a top-tier institution (hopefully the researcher will get to know me by that point)?

MY SITUATION:
My undergrad is a public college (state school). I have done a lot of great work here in the hospital we are affiliated with for the past 2 years. My research adviser offered me a technician spot (paid) for the next year (gap year). I've done a lot of good stuff in the lab, but I feel like I've maxed out.

My question is should I stick around here or move on to a bigger/better hospital and institution? I live 20 minutes away from one of the nations top hospitals (top 3). Would research/networking there and a letter of rec be stronger than my letter of rec if I continue to hang around at my current state school next year?

Sorry about the above.

Again, there are very few cut and dry answers in this process, and take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. I think the answer to the question you ask really depends on what you think will let you present yourself better. It's common wisdom around here that fewer ec's for longer time periods are better than many things for short time periods. But you already have 2 years of experience at your institutions lab, I'm sure that's more than enough to prove your devotion and interest to that work, and shouldn't be looked down upon if you moved on. It really comes down to: what are you more interested in doing? What do you think you'll gain more from (not just monetary gain)?

They have several adcoms on this forum (goro, hushcom, and should be a few more). Why not shoot them a message? I did, got some insight, and made my choice.

In any case, you look to be in great shape already. Keep it up!

Posted using SDN Mobile

The average age of matriculants at medical school is 24. Since most people graduate college at 21 or 22 that means that the vast majority of people are NOT going straight from college to med school. I can't imagine where your advisor got the idea that anything other than applying during your senior year is looked upon adversely. My undergrad school (top 20) actually encourage students to consider a gap year. I am taking a gap year, doing research, volunteering (in a non medical setting), taking art classes in the evening and in early March will be going overseas to volunteer with an NGO. I am currently interviewing and have been on 8 interviews. At each interview the majority of students have taken a gap year or two or are non trads. My gap year has given me lots of interesting conversational tidbits and experiences to discuss at my interviews. I don't think anyone knows what makes a gap year neutral or positive. Just make your gap year count to enhance your application(consider retaking you MCAT if you are only applying allopathic) and be prepared to answer this question on most of your secondaries: "if you have taken any time off after college please describe what you have done and your reasons for doing so".

Didn't read the other posts too closely, but gap years definitely aren't a bad thing provided that you're doing something productive with that time. The "classic" things I see in many applicants are a job in a research lab (e.g., tech position), volunteering work, ED scribing, etc. etc.. But you are by no means limited to those activities. The key point is to ensure that you're doing SOMETHING. You WILL be asked what you're doing in your time. If I interview an applicant that has graduated, it's one of the first questions I'm going to ask them. The last response you want to give is "nothing much, just hanging out." Even if you're "just working," that's fine.

Reactions: 2 users
UPDATE: Mcat score came in...29. 9-9-11, PS-VR-BS. since the MCAT is sub 30 and I'm already taking a gap year, what is the best stuff I can do to really maximize my application? My GPA is on the high end, LizzyM is around 66. I'm only applying to MD programs in North East united states. New York state resident. What should I do from now until applications open (June 2015)? What can I do to maximize my position...a sub 30 really sucks :(.

UPDATE: Mcat score came in...29. 9-9-11, PS-VR-BS. since the MCAT is sub 30 and I'm already taking a gap year, what is the best stuff I can do to really maximize my application? My GPA is on the high end, LizzyM is around 66. I'm only applying to MD programs in North East united states. New York state resident. What should I do from now until applications open (June 2015)? What can I do to maximize my position...a sub 30 really sucks :(.

First time taking MCAT? If yes, then have you considered retaking it? Not saying a 29 won't get you in, but it will be be hard. A LizzyM score of 66 and a 29 MCAT makes your GPA a 3.7, which is right about average for most MD schools.

Getting into a school in NE US with a 29 will be hard, some PA schools such as Drexel may call you, but you need to apply broadly. If you wanna stick around in the NE region you might wanna retake the MCAT or consider NE DO schools such as PCOM, NYCOM, LECOM etc..

If you do not want to retake. Apply broadly and early!!! Build your ECs this year. Scribe jobs are always great!!

1. Since you have a year, consider retaking mcat in 2015 (new format) with a goal to get 32+.
2. Apply to both MD and DO schools.
3. Find a job or volunteer or do research AND shadow. If you apply to DO schools make sure you shadow a DO physician.

As far as re-taking goes, I don't want to because I'd start preparing now for a January mcat (one of the old exams) and I can't guarantee a 32+ on it so it might not show enough improvement. I'm really looking at MD programs only. Certain NY, PA, and MA schools I'm not gonna bother applying to (like all the ivys and top tier privates). but according to MSAR most PA schools took a 28+ from the 10th percentile.

What gap year activity would have the biggest impact on my application ot make me look really good?

any activity that shows your interest in healthcare or a certain quality emphasized in healthcare. I currently work at a biotech company as n associate scientist doing neuroscience research. I had 2 years off and applying now for schools to matriculate in 2015. I also shadow a DO once a week in addition to my full-time job. Other possibilities are: academic research, industry research, EMT, volunteer, shadow, teaching