Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parsimony1428

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How important is a gap year considered for students that might already be fit to apply this cycle but want to maximize their chances of getting into a top program? Or is admissions so unpredictable in those top programs that it's not quantifiable at the end of the day?
No easy answer to this question. Many factors at play here. GPA, MCAT, experiences, background... the list goes on. Gap years in general can benefit you if you do something that adds value to your application. However, if you never had a shot (stat-wise) for a top program, a gap year would probably not help you too much.

If the stats are there with a good GPA and MCAT, but I really want to go for a top 10 school, is it worth doing that gap year for the possibility of maximizing my chances? Up until now I was in the mindset of applying this cycle, but just recently I've considered the merit in taking a gap year to do full time research (I'm pre-MD/PhD) and want to know how much that could be a bonus for schools that seem to be having higher and higher avg matriculant age.
If your gap year yields a pub or two, I could see that as a benefit. I would go ask the Physician Scientists forum for a better opinion though!
Physician Scientists