Geisinger info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my seemingly never-ending quest to find a good program for a rotation (the problem being that there are SO MANY GREAT programs) I stumbled onto Geisinger. Seems like it has been around a good long time. Anyone know much (my search on SDN turned up a few positive remarks) about the program? the area looks beautiful, but not busy. How can 8 residents in each class get enough "exposure" with a pretty low patient number of aroung 30-40,000? Thanks for any feed back!
streetdoc

Members don't see this ad.

streetdoc said:
In my seemingly never-ending quest to find a good program for a rotation (the problem being that there are SO MANY GREAT programs) I stumbled onto Geisinger. Seems like it has been around a good long time. Anyone know much (my search on SDN turned up a few positive remarks) about the program? the area looks beautiful, but not busy. How can 8 residents in each class get enough "exposure" with a pretty low patient number of aroung 30-40,000? Thanks for any feed back!
streetdoc

I interviewed at Geisinger and wound up ranking them 4th. Had it been closer to civilization, they would have been #1 (so the saying goes: if you're single going to Geisinger, you'll be single leaving Geisinger). I'm not much of a detail person, so here's the big picture stuff I remember: awesome flight program (interns are basically flying from day #1 and really getting their hands dirty), ER was huge and well-equipped technilogically, really liked the staff, residents seemed happy, especially impressed with their sim. lab (of those I saw on the interview trail (less than half the programs had one), Geisinger's was the best equipped), excellent reputation on the "street." That's about all I can remember. Definitely consider this place.

streetdoc said:
streetdoc

I talked to a few of their reps at a residency/rotation fair at my school last week. They seemed really nice and I remember thinking highly of them at the time. I cant remember specifics because I talked to so many people that day. I have their pamphlet but havent read it yet. Good luck. I think they have a good website to, so you can check that out. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Back34 said:
I interviewed at Geisinger and wound up ranking them 4th. Had it been closer to civilization, they would have been #1 (so the saying goes: if you're single going to Geisinger, you'll be single leaving Geisinger). I'm not much of a detail person, so here's the big picture stuff I remember: awesome flight program (interns are basically flying from day #1 and really getting their hands dirty), ER was huge and well-equipped technilogically, really liked the staff, residents seemed happy, especially impressed with their sim. lab (of those I saw on the interview trail (less than half the programs had one), Geisinger's was the best equipped), excellent reputation on the "street." That's about all I can remember. Definitely consider this place.

I too interviewed at the program and really liked it. They cover 31 counties in PA (that gives them about 2 million folks that they cover at their various institutions). It is a level 1 trauma ctr with a pediatric hospital. They have a 64 slice CT scanner. There are lots of oppty to EMS. Dr. Kupas is the state EMS medical director.

The residents seem very friendly and happy. The faculty that I met were VERY friendly and knowledgeable.

Wook

It seems like a pretty strong program, with a very large catchment area. One of the docs in my group who trained there loved it. Given its location, however, city slickers need not apply.

I'm an intern here at Geisinger and have nothing but positive things to say about the program. All the above posts are pretty accurate. Other strengths of our program include:

1: no medicine or gen surgery months. In place of this we do 3 ICU months as well as PICU. This translates into only a few call months (ICU is shift work) and the only floor call month is Cardiology. In Trauma PA's handle the floor call and you do consults.

2: Lifeflight: You do 1 month as an R1 as orientation, then as a 2nd year you are the lifeflight doc for scene calls during your ER shifts. You are not just a ride-a-long but lead the team including you, a medic, and a nurse. I already have great stories of scene calls! Flying is mandatory and is seen here as one thing that sets us apart from a lot of other programs.

3: Staff: All the Attendings are great to work with and socialize with. Our program director routinely has poker night with plenty of beer and cigars. There's nobody I dread to see in the department

4. computerized records: on about 90% of your patients you can see an old ekg or pmh and meds which is very helpful.

5: Location: this is a plus or minus I guess. If you like outdoors type of stuff (golf, fishing, hiking, mountainbiking) this is a great spot. Plus it seems to me, compared to other places, the patients really appreciate what we do for them. They come from miles to go to "The Geisinger." On the negative, there is a limited amount of the "knife and gun club" type of stuff. If your single, well the 2 single guys in our class aren't having the best of luck.

In response to your original question as to how this program can support 8 residents, I'm not sure I have an exact answer for you. I was wondering the same thing when I first started looking at this program. I can tell you that there never seems to be a shortage of patients. The pace is usually steady to hectic. The only quiet time seems to be from about 5am to 9am. If this is a major concern for you, I'd recommend visiting for a shift, or even part of a shift, just to see the flow for yourself.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me. I troll these forums pretty regularly

I absolutely loved Geisinger! I would certainly have ranked it high enough to match there had my wife allowed me to do it! My wife was from a town 20 minutes up the Susquehana River and she decided after we interviewed there that she did not want to go back. It was for personal reasons and not because she did not like the area. And having 2 small kids, we wanted a place with great public schools. But I liked EVERY intern and resident whom I met there on my interview day and their faculty were incredible. Kupas is awesome!!!

WOW! In 24 hours (on call) I've done a bit of research into the area and program, and I am very excited. It sounds like just what I was looking for (and short bus basically confirmed that). I called the student rotation coordinator and she was GREAT! Very helpful and gave me a lot of info about my chances of getting a rotation in sept/oct. I could not have asked for a better interaction (another school, actually 2, completely blew me off last week). I hope it works out for me to spend a month working with what seems like a great group of people. Short bus, if you could clear a spot for me in sept/oct i'd be forever indebted! Thanks for the great info, everyone.
streetdoc

I interviewed there, but, the location is what killed it for me. The residents seemed super nice, as did teh faculty I interviewed with. Those that were there seemed to like it, but they seemed a little less "Gen X" than I am used to.... But then again that's just my opinion and this was more than 3 years ago. I think your training there will be adequate.

But, wow, the town was so small and I just couldnt' bear bringining my then fiance' there.

My PD is from there, he had great things to say about it, though.

Q

DrQuinn said:
I interviewed there, but, the location is what killed it for me. The residents seemed super nice, as did teh faculty I interviewed with. Those that were there seemed to like it, but they seemed a little less "Gen X" than I am used to.... But then again that's just my opinion and this was more than 3 years ago. I think your training there will be adequate.

But, wow, the town was so small and I just couldnt' bear bringining my then fiance' there.

My PD is from there, he had great things to say about it, though.

Q

Less gen X? meaning old(er) people? I think I saw the pop. of Danville was around 10,000. :) seems quaint. but they apparently draw patients from about 1/2 the state (2 million).
thanks
streetdoc

I interviewed there for prelim, and loved it. The cachement area is huge, the education is great, and the area is like out of a Currier and Ives print.

The IM program director was also the president of the medical staff, and he said that they had to turn people away that wanted to join. As many have alluded to, if you're single, it's difficult. With a family, though, you can buy a REAL house, and it's just a lovely, calm place to be.

About 99% white, blue-collar, factory/retired factory worker patient base.

streetdoc said:
Less gen X? meaning old(er) people? I think I saw the pop. of Danville was around 10,000. :) seems quaint. but they apparently draw patients from about 1/2 the state (2 million).
thanks
streetdoc

Streetdoc - I'll be starting as an intern in a Transitional year in July. The town is nice - very small, but nice. The area, however, is breathtaking. I drove up to Danville from Philly today to try and find a place to live for next year. It was snowing on april 5th, believe it or not.

Still very beautiful. And the entire region seems built around that hospital. If you ever wanted prestige as a physician, you will be very close to a deity in the eyes of anyone in the susquehanna valley when they meet you and find out you are working at "The Geisinger." GMC is held in VERY HIGH regard in the area.

I was just there today visiting, and I was reminded of how nice the hospital is. Even though it is something like 90 years old in some parts, it is well kept and does not have that "old hospital" look (or, more importantly, smell).

I'm very pleased to be going to GMC for next year. Of course, I don't know what I might be saying in a few months when I'm getting my butt whipped.. I may be singing a different tune!

good luck!

jd

I'll be starting med school in August, but this thread caught my eye. 30 years ago I was a peds pt at Geisinger - sent there from a town near Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for several surgeries: a few years of plastics to correct a defect from an accident, and another uncommon unrelated surgery that was a medical mystery until they sliced me open. My brother got JRA at the age of 5, and back then Geisinger was the place to go for cutting-edge treatments (including gold injections) and the open-heart surgery team (the JRA was systemic and also attacked his heart). Both of us owe our survival to Geisinger's staff, and even back then we were sent there over Philadelphia hospitals. And I distinctly remember having new residents practice sutures and removal of sutures on several of my surgeries.

I'm pleased to see it's still well-regarded. But please tell me the walls of the corridor leading to the surgical suites aren't institution green anymore.