gen med fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadrunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the interview trail I heard about doing a general medicine fellowship for the first time. It sounds like it's a year long and then you get an MPH in the second year. Can anyone tell me more about it? What's the advantage of doing the fellowship rather than just working on an MPH independently?

Members don't see this ad.

Roadrunner said:
On the interview trail I heard about doing a general medicine fellowship for the first time. It sounds like it's a year long and then you get an MPH in the second year. Can anyone tell me more about it? What's the advantage of doing the fellowship rather than just working on an MPH independently?

I would say the main advantage is that you'll get paid for doing the MPH rather than having to pay the tuition yourself. Having said that, if you decide to go off and get an internist/hospitalist/locum tenens gig instead of the GM fellowship and do the MPH part-time in 2 years you'll probably come out ahead in the financial end of things but behind the sleep/quality-of-life end of things. Only you can make that decision.

BE