General MCAT FAQs: THREAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Re: taking Genetics: The MCAT doesn't go super in depth on genetics, but it does cover it. So whether you need to take a specific genetics class totally depends on how well genetics was covered in your bio classes. If you spent substantial time (weeks) on it in bio, and you have a solid grasp of the material, you will do fine on that part of the MCAT, and needn't take another class. (Look over Kaplan/TPR prep materials to be sure that what is in there was covered in your basic bio classes - in mine it all was.)

Members don't see this ad.

MoosePilot said:
... Genetics is getting more emphasis, but it's pretty basic genetics... Don't get suckered into wasting all your time.

I agree -- most of the genetics on the MCAT is pretty straightforward. A class may help, but most of the information you need, you can get from study guides or even by reading the relevant chapters in a biology text (I never took genetics, just checked out books from the library).

Status
Not open for further replies.