General Question about Metabolic Pathways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kryptonxenon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question from TBR Bio. Can someone explain why the answer to this question is D?

Which metabolic pathway begins in one cellular compartment and finishes in a different cellular compartment?
A. Glycolysis
B. Beta Oxidation
C. Citric Acid Cycle
D. Gluconeogenesis

Glycolysis takes place in the cytosol. TCA occurs in the matrix of mitchondria. I though it would be B because fatty acids are first activated in the cytoplasm and then are transported to the matrix. But doesn't gluconeogenesis occur in liver cells?

Members don't see this ad.

Oxaloacetate is a starting material for gluconeogenesis. So mitochondria -> cytosol. I've seen a variation of the rationale in several questions before. It must be a popular topic.

Oxaloacetate is a starting material for gluconeogenesis. So mitochondria -> cytosol. I've seen a variation of the rationale in several questions before. It must be a popular topic.

But aren't three carbon precursors the substrates for gluconeogenesis?

Glycerol can enter gluconeogenesis through some mechanisms I've never learned (quick google search should do). There are more TCA intermediates that can enter gluconeogenesis, and even some amino acids.

I have some notes on this somewhere, but I haven't studied in a few weeks :(. That's all I can say about this, sorry!