Generic Sevoflurane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobLoblaw78

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have bad experiences with generic sevoflurane? Or with their supplier (or Piramal)? I can't speak to the service and haven't switched yet, but cost savings are substantial and worth investigating. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. I've used several manufacturers of sevo. Never had a problem. Using this one specifically at a hospital right now

0712230916.jpg

Edit: this is the manufacturer you asked about

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Should go take a bunch of huge breaths and find out??

Reminds me of a story I heard in residency of a local custodian who learned to turn the nitrous on the anesthesia machine and was caught huffing that after hours.

Or the weirdo who would place cotton balls of sevo up his nose.

Cannot confirm if either are true

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
can we talk generic propofol next? definitely not the same.

Saw more bronchospasm with generic stuff. I wouldn't say less potent but more variable action than branded stuff.

Could be confounding as the place I worked at 2 pack per day smokers and daily marijuana users was probably every other patient under 65.

how about taste?
I wouldn't use it on fish & chips... wait no... wrong vinegar.

Arrested Development Reaction GIF

Tasting fluids was a tangent in an M&M in residency though. One attending seriously asked another attending what the clear fluid coming out of the back tasted like to determine if it was local anesthetic, the saline flush, or CSF in a difficult OB epidural that took multiple tries.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Tasting fluids was a tangent in an M&M in residency though. One attending seriously asked another attending what the clear fluid coming out of the back tasted like to determine if it was local anesthetic, the saline flush, or CSF in a difficult OB epidural that took multiple tries.
Prolly got the intended laughs too....