Generous Dental Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cys19

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are some undergraduate universities, such as Harvard, that give out very generous need-based grants to students. My family is broke. My extended family is broke. I go to a state school, and my federal grants are still maxed out. I practically get paid a lot to go to college. But that's undergrad. Do dental schools recognize my brokeness or would I have to take out super-colossal loans anyway? And if they do recognize it, which schools are most generous to broke non-residents? How generous are the ivy's?

Members don't see this ad.

cys19 said:
I know there are some undergraduate universities, such as Harvard, that give out very generous need-based grants to students. My family is broke. My extended family is broke. I go to a state school, and my federal grants are still maxed out. I practically get paid a lot to go to college. But that's undergrad. Do dental schools recognize my brokeness or would I have to take out super-colossal loans anyway? And if they do recognize it, which schools are most generous to broke non-residents? How generous are the ivy's?

yes they recognize your broke ass....

as long as you're a permanent resident or citizen of the USofA you're going to be fine. In fact brokeness will work in your favor in terms of getting loans. I'm sure that if you're as poor as you say you are, you will have tuition, fees, room,board, transportation, and other costs covered. don't worry about that.

concentrate on school itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
mlle said:
as long as you're a permanent resident or citizen of the USofA you're going to be fine. In fact brokeness will work in your favor in terms of getting loans. I'm sure that if you're as poor as you say you are, you will have tuition, fees, room,board, transportation, and other costs covered. don't worry about that.

concentrate on school itself.

Thanks for the elaborate response. How great would it feel to tell your kids that brokeness was dominated by their daddy.

cys19 said:
How great would it feel to tell your kids that brokeness was dominated by their daddy.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. But if its a plea for sympathy, please take the money and be on your way...

Schools will definitely give you plently of loans but don't think that you will get any grants. Those pretty much stop after undergrad unless you dominate at life and get an academic scholarship from dental school which are insanely competitive. Don't get your hopes up for grants just because you are broke because a fair majority of us are on the same boat. Its the troof.

virginiabeach said:
Schools will definitely give you plently of loans but don't think that you will get any grants. Those pretty much stop after undergrad unless you dominate at life and get an academic scholarship from dental school which are insanely competitive. Don't get your hopes up for grants just because you are broke because a fair majority of us are on the same boat. Its the troof.
Mmm. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. It's always the less fortunate ones that tend to have higher aspirations. :)

cys19 said:

I personally don't think it's right for dental schools to throw money at people who are poor. I 100% agree with undergrad funding because not all ugrad degrees lead to high paying jobs. It's awesome when a child grows up inner city and then becomes a teacher back in that same neighborhood they grew up in. Harvard SHOULD be throwing money at them, they're making a true impact and there is no way for them to make it through college and then pay back the bills without the free money.

D-school on the other hand...a majority of us are headed into private practice where we will command earnings most likely in the high 90th percentile of all America. Just hopefully we'll all contribute time each month to low cost/no cost clinics. But the truth is, we'll have the money to pay back whatever loan amount we choose to take.

Just my thoughts. I'm not sure if you're trying to post a serious question or trying to get sympathy. I hate it when kids in my courses play the "im poor and disadvantaged" when the truth is they are ahead of most of the world because they have been given a chance to prove themselves at a University. There will always be someone out there who gets what they want easier, and who cares...