Genetically modified bacteria may prevent cavities -Put us out of Business

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
discussed in another thread before. please do search first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have spoken to Dr. Hillman several times about this bug. Believe me, it's still a while away. You won't see me running for a med school application. His company doesn't even have the money to begin clinical trials for the FDA.

Despite this, the animal testing is there, and the technology works well. For rats at least.

Dr. Jeffrey D. Hillman said:
The dentist would simply squirt a suspension of our bacteria, our modified bacteria, onto your tooth surfaces for about 5 minutes, then more than likely the dentist would pat you on the head and tell you to go home and eat sugar.
Wow, it's that simple!
According to Dr. Hillman, the treatment will probably cost less than $100 and may last a lifetime, an obviously smart investment. Hillman described his research on BCS3-L1 Saturday at the American Academy for the Advancement of Science's annual meeting in Boston. He has been working on developing bacterial replacement therapy for cavity prevention for 25 years.
Last a lifetime? smart investment? I highly doubt it. Good luck with the next 25yrs! I'll probably be retired by then!
r. Hillman cautions that we will still need to brush and floss to prevent bad breath and gum disease, even if we use the new treatment.
This statement is the only thing which makes sense and scientifically correct! Surprise!

I think Dr. Hillman is Hillman, PhD not Hillman, DDS/DMD. It sounds like one of those late night TV infomercials or more like a hype to me, like those England scientists growing a tooth out of the back of a mouse!

Ohh yah, well costco bought a bunch of cerec units. I'm more worried about that.

Actually, he is DMD/PhD.

Since his strain is a modified S. mutans, all you do need to do is squirt it on the teeth. Going home afterwards and eating sugar will enable them to adhere better because they produce a sticky dextran from sucrose. The S. mutans we have in our mouths lasts a lifetime, why wouldn't his?

Good luck getting the Europeans to go this. They won't even eat any genetically engineered crops. You think they're going to let somebody shoot uberbacteria in their mouths? And they are the ones that need it the most :laugh:

:laugh:
GoGatorsDMD said:
Actually, he is DMD/PhD.

Since his strain is a modified S. mutans, all you do need to do is squirt it on the teeth. Going home afterwards and eating sugar will enable them to adhere better because they produce a sticky dextran from sucrose. The S. mutans we have in our mouths lasts a lifetime, why wouldn't his?

Great for a diabetic--- go home and eat sugar :eek: :laugh:

Some of you are too young but others will remember when sealants and fluoridated water were going to put us out of business :laugh: . Or perhaps the Crest white strips, or the water pics, or the well you get the point

PEOPLE we already have things today and have for the past 50 years to put ourselves out of business. They are the: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, and fluoridated city water :laugh: People still don't use them and it takes less than 3mins to brush! There are millions of people who won't vaccinate their children cuz they think there is a link to autism. Imagine convincing a parent to put a genetically engineered bacteria :eek: in their kids body to prevent something a toothbrush, floss, and a twice a year visit to a dentist could. Yep-----nobody. There are folks who oppose fluoridation of city water; moreover, there are cities without fluoridated water :eek: .This is nothing to be concerned about at all. We will never see anything like this in our life time, the FDA, the lobbyist, the endless scrutiny over an engineered organism introduced in the body to correct a preventable disease will receive little attention. There is no magic pill and dentists will always be needed for the next couple of centuries, if not to just to repair the 100s of millions with old broken down restorations and accidents or problems that occur from normal wear and tear. This is how much anyone with a little bit of knowledge should feel about the subject:sleep: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.