Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmwannab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is genetics a big part of the bio section? If so how in depth does it go? I won't be able to take a genetics course before I take the MCAT so I'm wondering if I should start teaching myself. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmwannab said:
Is genetics a big part of the bio section? If so how in depth does it go? I won't be able to take a genetics course before I take the MCAT so I'm wondering if I should start teaching myself. Thanks!
it depends on the particular version of the bio section you happen to get on test day. your individual test might only have 1 passage on genetics for example but the person next to you might have much more. if you cant take a genetics course beforehand dont worry, just buy an mcat review book to help you. you might also want to check out the official MCAT topics list provided by the AAMC, its pretty detailed as to whats fair game on the mcat science sections.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/topics.pdf

Arsenic810 said:
it depends on the particular version of the bio section you happen to get on test day. your individual test might only have 1 passage on genetics for example but the person next to you might have much more. if you cant take a genetics course beforehand dont worry, just buy an mcat review book to help you. you might also want to check out the official MCAT topics list provided by the AAMC, its pretty detailed as to whats fair game on the mcat science sections.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/topics.pdf

the test varies. I am hoping that I dont get that much physics!!! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate fluids so much.

As for genetics, I took a gamble on how much there would be - I had a choice between Genetics or Biochem before the MCAT and I went with Genetics.
I think it really does depend on test form anyway; the genetics tested on the MCAT is pretty basic too.

Arsenic810 said:
for me it was optics and fluids :laugh:
Lucky! I had collisions and momentum and sound intensity and waves. Damn you to hell, Doppler!
And there is ALWAYS a question about specific gravity and buoyancy!