Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all of the comments everyone, I'm at home this weekend discussing things with my family and trying to come to terms with a decision. All of you have made some great points on both sides, and I really appreciate all of your input.

As of right now I'm really not even close to a decision, but since I chose to miss the deposit refund deadline, I plan on taking a little bit of time to really think things over and reflect on what will be best for me.

Keep the opinions coming if you have them, and CONGRATS to those coming off waitlists this week! :thumbup:

I thought you had to narrow it down to one acceptance by the 15th? did you ask for an extension?

Members don't see this ad.

After the the 15th, schools are alerted to anyone holding multiple acceptances, and they will "pressure" them to make a decision soon. MCG makes threats about pulling an acceptance, sometime after June 1st, if you refuse to make up your mind...

Would writing a letter of intent to mcg make much of a difference since the waiting list is ranked? I have already been accepted to one med school, however, mcg is still my top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the major waitlist movement over? I know the deadline was May 15 but are schools still notifying many people? Or are only a few individuals getting off of it know?

There will be slight movement until 6/10. After that, pray for a miracle (more like reapply)...

Well, i know how stressful this process can be, so FYI I recently dropped my acceptance at MCG. I hope whoever gets it loved the school as much as I did.

Well, i know how stressful this process can be, so FYI I recently dropped my acceptance at MCG. I hope whoever gets it loved the school as much as I did.

where you going?

good luck!

MCG doesn't really make a sales pitch... I guess because their tuition is so much lower they don't think they need to. But I just wanted to comment that if there was one thing MCG has to be proud of, it is the atmosphere within the SOM student body. The dental school is pretty cutthroat/intense and the allied health people are in general not here (they graduate every year, but I have met only a handful, mostly dental hygenists. Where are you?), but the med students are all very chill. Sure, a few are pretty cliquey, but that is the only bad thing I can say...

MCG doesn't really make a sales pitch... I guess because their tuition is so much lower they don't think they need to. But I just wanted to comment that if there was one thing MCG has to be proud of, it is the atmosphere within the SOM student body. The dental school is pretty cutthroat/intense and the allied health people are in general not here (they graduate every year, but I have met only a handful, mostly dental hygenists. Where are you?), but the med students are all very chill. Sure, a few are pretty cliquey, but that is the only bad thing I can say...

Good to hear! :D But how many gunners? And I guess every year is different, or does it seem like the upperclassmen are also very chill?

Good to hear! :D But how many gunners? And I guess every year is different, or does it seem like the upperclassmen are also very chill?

third year is hard, of course, and I never see the third years. but I have been to cookouts at fourth years' houses, and they are so laissez faire that I'm pretty sure they put something in the hamburgers. Valium?

third year is hard, of course, and I never see the third years. but I have been to cookouts at fourth years' houses, and they are so laissez faire that I'm pretty sure they put something in the hamburgers. Valium?

I second that one of the strengths of MCG is the people. Hands down some of the most down to earthers that I have come into contact with.

I am proud to be a Class of 2013 MCG student - fresh off the waitlist as of 5/19/2009.

where you going?

good luck!

I'm going out of state. It was a tough decision, but I think it's a decision for the best ... for many reasons specific to my career goals (unique research interests).

i still think that they need a second look. i organized my own with a buddy currently at MCG, but it wasn't as detailed as it could be.

I do concur that MCG students are amazing. I guess it's that good 'ol southern hospitality ;)

I second that one of the strengths of MCG is the people. Hands down some of the most down to earthers that I have come into contact with.

I am proud to be a Class of 2013 MCG student - fresh off the waitlist as of 5/19/2009.
Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I will be withdrawing from MCG this week with some regret because of all of the great people I have already began to meet that will make this year's class so awesome :(. But I know someone who really deserves a spot will get in and make the class just as great if not better. :)

Good luck to everybody! I've enjoyed "hanging around" with everyone on this forum throughout this crazy process. Thanks for all the great advice, information and support,

cheers :thumbup:

Scean

Hey all,

I will be withdrawing from MCG this week with some regret because of all of the great people I have already began to meet that will make this year's class so awesome :(. But I know someone who really deserves a spot will get in and make the class just as great if not better. :)

Good luck to everybody! I've enjoyed "hanging around" with everyone on this forum throughout this crazy process. Thanks for all the great advice, information and support,

cheers :thumbup:

Scean

Good luck man! NYU bound?

Thanks Fahimaz, you are definitely someone I was planning on enjoying as a classmate in the coming years.

Yep NYU bound for me, got a scholarship from them this morning that puts a nice dent in the cost, not quite MCG cost, but getting much closer. I also got into Wake Forest on monday so I've really been struggling with this decision over the past few days. But in the end I was leaning towards NYU and the aid just makes the decision much easier.

BUT! I wanna paddle before the summer is over! With your future physician-like desire to help others I'm sure you'd love to help me learn how to manuver through some flowing waters, ha :)

I'm off after July 10th (although it looks like I'll be out west from the 11th-24th) :)

Last edited:
Bump because summer is awesome and I have time to waste. What are you guys doing for your last free summer?

Hey everyone! I just withdrew from MCG today.....I really liked the program also (very affordable) and I know the next student will enjoy my seat just as much :) Good luck to those still waiting !:)

To anyone who's still on the waitlist, there's still hope. I received a call from MCG today. :)

New to SDN. Been reading the thread for a very long time tho.

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone who just got in!! Please join our facebook group!

I withdrew from MCG on Tuesday...it looks like some people might have already gotten my spot, which is awesome! Just thought I'd let everyone know- good luck!!

I withdrew from MCG on Tuesday...it looks like some people might have already gotten my spot, which is awesome! Just thought I'd let everyone know- good luck!!

Out of curiosity, where are you going, Sunny?

I'm curious to see what people are turning down MCG for..... is there anyone else on here that turned down MCG and would like to share their school choice? (if you want more anonymity, share the state where you'll be going.)

Most of the people that post on this thread, also post on threads where they have been waitlisted. If you click on their name, you can select to view "more posts by XYZ user," and you will quickly identify which school they are headed to :)

Nifty stalker tips Fahimaz. :p

Acridknight, I'm pretty sure Sunny is headed to Emory, I'm going to NYU, and I think someone else on here decided on UAB? Those are the only three that come to mind.

Congrats to everyone with fresh acceptances this week!

Haha yes I'll be at Emory. Hard choice because MCG is such an amazing deal and some of my best friends will be there, but I have some personal ties to Emory. Hopefully the wait lists will continue to keep moving like they have been.

I got Mrs. DeVaughn's call this afternoon. I am in.

To those still waiting, be patient and do not give up!!!

Does anyone have suggestions about locations for renting in Augusta?

Any help is very much appreciated.

I live in the summersville area and love it. I would live above heard and between Washington and Central. Anyplace between Heard and Walton Way Extension would be nice.

Lots of people also do Century Glenn and Brigham Woods appartments. Check the MCG 2013 facebook group for more information.

Great! thanks for the helpful info fahimaz7, I appreciate it.

One more question...do you know if it takes a while to get the welcome packet with all the information (login etc...). I got the acceptance on Monday and will be going out of town for a little bit. And I actually live in Walton Way Roswell area.

I live in the summersville area and love it. I would live above heard and between Washington and Central. Anyplace between Heard and Walton Way Extension would be nice.

Lots of people also do Century Glenn and Brigham Woods appartments. Check the MCG 2013 facebook group for more information.

Last edited:
A few weeks is my guess. But, I don't know about waitlisted applicants. I'm sure that someone else on here could point you in the right direction

A few weeks is my guess. But, I don't know about waitlisted applicants. I'm sure that someone else on here could point you in the right direction

Thank you again kind sir.

To those accepted off the waitlist, do you know how long it took to get the packet? Thanks in advance.

Oh yeh, make sure you fill out fasfa and the MCG student loan application. Also, round up your vaccine history and make sure you have hepB. If not, get on that asap...

Welcome to the class!

Oh yeh, make sure you fill out fasfa and the MCG student loan application. Also, round up your vaccine history and make sure you have hepB. If not, get on that asap...

Welcome to the class!

Great. I will get to it!

I had MCG on my fafsa when I filled it out, but I am not aware of the MCG loan application. Is it somehow accessible without the packet?

Also, I will be getting my vaccinations up to date some time this week.

Thank you for the welcome!!! I was a 2nd rounder so I feel very blessed for the acceptance.

The Fin aid stuff is through "My MCG" log-in on the "pluse" screen. I think your login is your first initial and then full last name (ie JSMITH) and then the password is then the 4 digit year of your birth followed by the last 4 of your social (ie 1986####).

Groupwise first.. then go to MYMCG.

Don't freak out!

I just read this on the Augusta Chronicle website and after making a call to the Admission's office, I was informed that the story is innaccurate MCG will not be admitting students, into the SOM-Athens, until 2010.

"UGA moves ahead on med school
Morris News Service
Friday, June 5, 2009 5:46 a.m.2 commentsPRINTShareEmail

ATHENS, Ga. -- The Navy's transfer of its Prince Avenue supply corps school to the University of Georgia is going well, even though the federal government has not signed off on it, Athens officials said Thursday.

The university will admit the first class to its new medical school, temporarily housed at the former O'Malley's building, this fall.

State lawmakers have committed $7 million in 2010 to help UGA turn the Navy school into a health sciences campus. The base is scheduled to close and the supply corps school move to Rhode Island by March 2011.

From the Friday, June 5, 2009 online edition of The Augusta Chronicle"

Thank you again kind sir.

To those accepted off the waitlist, do you know how long it took to get the packet? Thanks in advance.

im pretty sure you can get the stuff you need for now from here: http://www.mcg.edu/students/enrollment/welcome.html

this is all the information off the flash drive they send you. im sure what you get in the mail will be more detailed, but this is a good start!

PS. This thread (I made :p) is going to be over 20 pages by the end of this ordeal.. Maybe 30 pages (50/page=1500 posts).

Hehe.. I just found this prediction that was made in August, 2008. It looks like the GA people are really into SDN...

Hehe.. I just found this prediction that was made in August, 2008. It looks like the GA people are really into SDN...

and yet this year seemed so much quieter than last. maybe its just me.

bored out of my mind right now, but I guess that's better than the alternative....

I just started watching season 1 of 30ROCK, and I think Tracy Morgan is hilarious. Anyone else seen it? Arsenio Billingham?

what chu doing?

edit- fahimaz, how long ago did you switch over to "Medical Student"?? not cool, dude... :smuggrin:

Last edited:
I switched to mess with a guy on the allo boards a while back and forgot.

Bored! Shouldn't you be doing research?

Is that better?

:smuggrin:

Last edited:
I switched to mess with a guy on the allo boards a while back and forgot.

Bored! Shouldn't you be doing research?

Is that better?

:smuggrin:

I AM doing research. My research involves lots of downtime and "waiting". Not allowed to leave the room, tho. Have to monitor the mousey.

You missed it.. For a while there I was an attending, that lived on the moon, and had a DPT, MD, PharmD, JD, etc.

I am quite sure that we met in the elevator, at the CC, a few weeks ago...

You missed it.. For a while there I was an attending, that lived on the moon, and had a DPT, MD, PharmD, JD, etc.

I am quite sure that we met in the elevator, at the CC, a few weeks ago...

how did I look? :cool:

edit- I remember that day... if I seemed a little overwhelmed, I was. 1st full time week, if I recall.

Last edited:
Does MCG ask you for final transcripts if you come off the waitlist or get accepted?

Yes. You should send those in as soon as you are placed on the WL or accepted.

although they probably won't be looked at, unless you failed or were on WL.

I have been on the wailist since March or whenever.. Out of the blue yesterday, got an email asking for my final transcripts.. I was hoping it could signal good news..