Georgia Applicants 2009 - MCG, Emory, Morehouse, Mercer, PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MCG has to confirm degrees prior to matriculation, and they do so by final transcripts.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted off the waitlist at MCG on Wednesday afternoon. Very ironic, as I had just been offered a research/contractor position at the CDC that same morning. Oh well, life's a bit funny sometimes. I can't wait to meet you guys in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just accepted off the waitlist at MCG on Wednesday afternoon. Very ironic, as I had just been offered a research/contractor position at the CDC that same morning. Oh well, life's a bit funny sometimes. I can't wait to meet you guys in August!

oh no, another techie. :D Cheers!

so are you guys excited about the first week's festivities? I would recommend going to most of them if you can. They are all fun, and most are cheap- plus it is a great way to meet your new classmates!!!

so are you guys excited about the first week's festivities? I would recommend going to most of them if you can. They are all fun, and most are cheap- plus it is a great way to meet your new classmates!!!

As long as fahimaz7 pays for my lunch I am going....haha...sorry fahimaz7...

I might be able to make it to the casa blanca one (that is what you are referring to right?).

Congrats to all students who got in this round and I look forward to meeting you in August!!

Thunder,

The first week is filled with activities for us to attend (8/10-8/15). The 2nd year students are hosting these parties. The Casa Blanca one is a rogue party, that the 1st year class is holding for it's students (informal and unofficial..hehe..).

I'll pay for your lunch if you buy my drinks :)

Last edited:
Thunder,

The first week is filled with activities for us to attend (8/10-8/15). The 2nd year students are hosting these parties. The Casa Blanca one is a rogue party, that the 1st year class is holding for it's students (informal and unofficial..hehe..).

I'll pay for your lunch if you buy my drinks :)

Oh cool. I should look into it then.

And we will have to fix you up with something light, we need a sober driver you know...hahaha :D

Only June 20th... I wish I could take the last 2 months of the summer and take a couple months off after Step 1. But I think I would be too tempted to use that time to study. Oh well, maybe I will take a spontaneous vacation or something. I have planned a spontaneous vacation in early August... basically I just don't know where I will be going, but then again that isn't really what spontaneous means.

Only June 20th... I wish I could take the last 2 months of the summer and take a couple months off after Step 1. But I think I would be too tempted to use that time to study. Oh well, maybe I will take a spontaneous vacation or something. I have planned a spontaneous vacation in early August... basically I just don't know where I will be going, but then again that isn't really what spontaneous means.

Hey some of us just got out for the summer. Although I agree it stinks that we only get one week off after step I. You should go to Arizona it is amazing out there.

Crap. Is it a big deal if I don't have all my immunizations done yet or I failed to let the Student Health Office know that I wouldn't have them done 30 days prior to registration? I just get an e-mail letting me know that I'm on hold for registration (for MCG). Hopefully I can get a provisional clearance and not get yelled at for this :oops:... and not lose my acceptance either!:eek:

Anybody know/have experience with this?

*phew* Good to know :D. Chest X-ray to clear out the possibility of TB. I had a false positive due to a vaccination I received overseas.

Members don't see this ad :)
how the morehouse waitlist is going. havent seen anything, and nervous family friend is concerned about child's app. Im on summer break and just a student, so i really dont feel i have insider info - they think I do so I'm in an awkward position since its a lady who refers patients to my father. if you've heard anything, please post and update. thanks!:D

don't worry, you aren't going to get kicked out because you didn't get your last dpt on time. It is pretty annoying not to be able to register and whatnot, but just get what you need now, and if you have to wait 2 months for x shot, give them what you already have and get them to give you a temporary hold release whenever you need to register. **This only works if you show that you are attempting to move forward (i.e.- you got the 2nd shot in the series but you have to wait 4 months before the final one, or you got all the shots and must wait before you get a titer). Basically, laziness doesn't count.

Crap. Is it a big deal if I don't have all my immunizations done yet or I failed to let the Student Health Office know that I wouldn't have them done 30 days prior to registration? I just get an e-mail letting me know that I'm on hold for registration (for MCG). Hopefully I can get a provisional clearance and not get yelled at for this :oops:... and not lose my acceptance either!:eek:

Anybody know/have experience with this?

Hey,

I am in a similar situation (need to get final hepB shot with titer)...you just need to call the health services and let them know and contact Dianne Norris to have her send you a provisional clearance form.

After you fax the info to her you contact the the registrar office or the health service dept. (can't remember which one) to have the hold temporarily removed so they can register you for classes.

By the way, they will register you for classes the first year (and I think second year as well) so you don't have to worry about registering for classes this fall.

I have included her contact info below, I hope I have helped a classmate out!!!

Sincerely,

-Walid

Diane H. Norris, RN, BSN
Administrative Services Director
Student Health Services
Pavilion II AF-1040
Augusta, GA 30912
Office: (706) 721-3448

Fax: (706) 721-7468

Hey,

I am in a similar situation (need to get final hepB shot with titer)...you just need to call the health services and let them know and contact Dianne Norris to have her send you a provisional clearance form.

After you fax the info to her you contact the the registrar office or the health service dept. (can't remember which one) to have the hold temporarily removed so they can register you for classes.

By the way, they will register you for classes the first year (and I think second year as well) so you don't have to worry about registering for classes this fall.

I have included her contact info below, I hope I have helped a classmate out!!!

Sincerely,

-Walid

Diane H. Norris, RN, BSN
Administrative Services Director
Student Health Services
Pavilion II AF-1040
Augusta, GA 30912
Office: (706) 721-3448

Fax: (706) 721-7468

Thank you thunder86 and bodonid! :thumbup:

Yeah, all I'm waiting for is the radiologist to read it... sadly my FP has to mail it out and wait at least a week for it to come back. I'll give them a call tomorrow!

The MCG FinAid says that the funds ( subs & unsubs ) are there and accepted for the year divided into two semesters. But it doesn't show the lender. Do they ( lenders ) contact the student or the student picks and chooses a lender. How does it work ?

Wow... 42 hours :eek::scared:.

And we have class everyday from 8-5 at MCG?! ECM everyday?

The MCG FinAid says that the funds ( subs & unsubs ) are there and accepted for the year divided into two semesters. But it doesn't show the lender. Do they ( lenders ) contact the student or the student picks and chooses a lender. How does it work ?

I thought that we selected a lender with our initial MCG FinAid Application...

Wow... 42 hours :eek::scared:.

And we have class everyday from 8-5 at MCG?! ECM everyday?

I don't think that we have ECM every day.. I think it's every other week (M 1-5) and every week (one day) from 1-3. Does this sound right?

I know that they are making a few changes to the curriculum....

I thought that we selected a lender with our initial MCG FinAid Application...
The selected lenders name doesn't seem to appear in PULSE. I was told elsewhere all lenders compete for your business irrespective of what you selected when applying.

Either way it doesn't really matter... The federal government restricts what lenders can do with Stafford loans. It's one of the things that Obama is trying to get rid of. Why is the government paying a private company to make these loans? Why not loan all of the money through the Direct Loan system?

The rates and such will be the same, regardless of who your lender is (Stafford & Grad Plus loans).

Either way it doesn't really matter... The federal government restricts what lenders can do with Stafford loans. It's one of the things that Obama is trying to get rid of. Why is the government paying a private company to make these loans? Why not loan all of the money through the Direct Loan system?

The rates and such will be the same, regardless of who your lender is (Stafford & Grad Plus loans).

Thanks. I am told that the lenders can package the loan differently to look attractive under different circumstances. Like fees, re-payment structure etc. I am told the rate for Stafford sub is 0% and unsubs is 6.8% . Obama has a long way to go to do everything he wanted do. If it happens it is good.

I don't think that we have ECM every day.. I think it's every other week (M 1-5) and every week (one day) from 1-3. Does this sound right?

I know that they are making a few changes to the curriculum....

There won't be many changes to ECM, I dont' think. As follows:

Monday, every week, from 1-3.

ECM weeks (every other week)
- Tutorial (ethics & stuff) 2-4PM on ONE day. Mine was Thursday, but they have it on tues. and wed. too.
- Physical Diagnosis- 1-5PM (most people get out at 3 or so) ONE day. Could be tues, wed, thurs, or friday. But it will be on a different day than your Tutorial.

Last edited:
Any movement in the waitlist at MCG??? Is it time to give up???:(:(

Hey folks, I don't know if our financial aid stuff has been posted for first or second year students. I called the other day and someone said that they were getting the 3rd and 4th year students info out and they have not begun our stuff yet. You are referring to the Pulse stuff under Award, right?

Well, when I called I was inquiring about that and they said it is not until August 8th that we learn of the total Award amount. If the amount posted is what we get then I am definitely going to need additional funding.

Anyone hear otherwise?

Also, it is funny how we "MCG students" basically hijacked this thread, I mean the past three or so pages have been MCG related, LOL.

I have already lowered my award amount and the updated figure is now in Pulse....

"Your financial aid package has been revised to accommodate the changes in the tuition structure initiated by the School of Medicine. Your revised award can be reviewed on PULSE." -Email on Tuesday of last week.

I have already lowered my award amount and the updated figure is now in Pulse....

"Your financial aid package has been revised to accommodate the changes in the tuition structure initiated by the School of Medicine. Your revised award can be reviewed on PULSE." -Email on Tuesday of last week.

Hey fahimza,

Did you get an email indicating that you should check online to see your award letter? I never got an email pertaining to the financial aid stuff, not until I emailed Mrs. Payne about it. I am a little confused...This was her reply when I wanted to follow up on the financial award letter.

"Hello,

I am not sure of what you are seeing in PULSE as we don't have access to PULSE. However, we had not made an award for you yet. We have been working on 3rd and 4th year students as their bills are due tomorrow. It looks like we have everything we need to process aid for you so your aid will be process by your tuition due date of August 7th. At time that your award is complete you will be sent an email notification and it will also appear on PULSE.

Hope this helps with your questions.

Bridget Payne, M.A.
Associate Director
Office of Student Financial Aid
Medical College of Georgia"

Don't they finish everyone's application at the same time or am I mistaken?

I am going to call tomorrow to follow up on the matter but your input is appreciated.

I had a few emails from them. Maybe they process them in the order of acceptance? I was EDP...

I had a few emails from them. Maybe they process them in the order of acceptance? I was EDP...

That would make sense...I guess they do the 3rd and 4th year med students together because they know they are already enrolled so they do them all at once. But MS-1s are accepted at varying dates. I know one guy at MCG who got accepted on the first day of classes.

If I do not hear anything back by the end of the week I will give them a call.

Phase 3&4 start the first week of July. Phase 1 and 2 start in August...

Thank you. I know that but what I meant is that their FA package is completed at the same time because they are already enrolled. In other words, they completed phase 1& 2 at MCG (most likely) so they do their FA before us and they do them at the same time.

Last edited:
Hi all! I recently received my secondary from Morehouse, and I have three quick questions about their recommendation letters that I hope someone might know the answers to. 1. Is there a specific form that Morehouse has for reference writers to fill? 2. Is there a waiver form for us to sign waiving our rights to read the letters or is such a form not required? 3. Should we send our letters to their admissions office or directly to AMCAS?

Thanks everyone!

Is anyone still looking for a roommate for MCG? I was looking at signing at Stevens Creek but wanted to check and make sure no one else needed a roommate.

Ga applicant, 3.6 gpa all the EC's an applicant can ask for, research, awesome letters of rec. from 3 highly respected surgeons in the ATL area.....only problem is the MCAT. Just took it for the 2nd time today, we'll see what happens. But I personally know the dean of MCG. If I get the dean to write me a letter for MCG what are the chances of getting in????? Love MCG and would be honored to go.

Ga applicant, 3.6 gpa all the EC's an applicant can ask for, research, awesome letters of rec. from 3 highly respected surgeons in the ATL area.....only problem is the MCAT. Just took it for the 2nd time today, we'll see what happens. But I personally know the dean of MCG. If I get the dean to write me a letter for MCG what are the chances of getting in????? Love MCG and would be honored to go.

No one person can get you an acceptance. With that said, it's always nice to know people on the inside. Good luck and keep us posted.

PS. You really should post this on the 2010 class thread and not the 2009 thread.