Georgia Welcomes AMCs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Consigliere

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151216006167/en/AmSurg’s-Physician-Services-Division-Sheridan-Acquires-Northside

The trend continues...current residents - start schmoozing with AMC leaders for they will be your future employers.

Mednax aka American has been in Georgia for years. I know some people working for them there and they actually don't mind the gig. Pay is good, hours are reasonable. Benefits not that great, but all in all a reasonably good pay for what you do and where you live.

This is Atlanta, though. Is Mednax in Atlanta?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mednax is in lawrenceville ga and macon ga..

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151216006167/en/AmSurg’s-Physician-Services-Division-Sheridan-Acquires-Northside

The trend continues...current residents - start schmoozing with AMC leaders for they will be your future employers.
Old news. Sorry. Happened like a couple of months ago.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/future-anesthesia-job-market.1062141/page-12

Blade discussed it. I responded. It's just buried within threads cause buyouts are a dime and dozen.

hmm. Hard to tell how serious you are. How do you propose to best prepare for a life of misery?

And once you're in it, how do you plan an exit strategy?

This specialty sucks and so does medicine. If you choose to go into anesthesia be prepared to live a life of misery. Thank you very much

I love my job and my life could not be better.

Reactions: 5 users
There is another way to look at this.

Young grads won't get screwed into partnership tracks that never happened (like my sister had 5 year partnership track essentially giving up 1.2-1.5 million) and making under market money.

I . New grads will start are higher income but obviously cap out at much lower incomes.

2. New grads are free to move about more often. Don't like job 1. Switch to job 2 easier. No sense of loyalty. And that's a good thing.

3. Work hours should be better than in the past with the old partnership track where young docs get abused. More equality in terms of taking calls.

Of course I've seen some "newer AMC take overs/buy outs". Like Mednax/Lawrencevile GA group who's partners sold out. They tried to take advantage of the market and they will trying to advertise for full
Time work Friday-Sunday Both days and nights on those days so they can try to work less...gotta love those guys trying to have their cake and take less weekend calls after the buyout. Ha ha.

Let's just say that ad was out a long time so they obviously didn't find many takers for weekend only job.

Same stuff happen in orlando where the 3 principal owners tried to get some poor souls to take weekend only jobs. But the kicker was they tried to make them work some week days also.

Frenetic consolidation: The anesthesia market today & where ASCs fit in
Written by Anuja Vaidya |February 05, 2016

http://www.beckersasc.com/anesthesi...nesthesia-market-today-where-ascs-fit-in.html

"According to Mr. Swearingen, the emergency medicine market is a comparable hospital-based specialty that is years ahead of anesthesia in terms of consolidation. Looking to the EM market today, around 25 percent of practicing EM physicians work for a large national consolidator. Whereas, the same can be said for about 8 percent of anesthesia physicians. But this figure has jumped from under 4 percent around five years ago, showing that the anesthesia market will see similar levels of consolidation to the EM market."

Mednax is in lawrenceville ga and macon ga..
The Macon group has been in serious legal litigation for over 10 years. Extremely shady billing practices in the past. Unfortunately it's a good ole boys networks with hospital backing up the good ole boys. Most of the hospital administration has left over the past 10 years.

Suprised mednax didn't do more due dillegence prior to the buyout.

Cause they still got legal case going back and forth (all they did was change their name to Nexxus at the beginning of the litigation )

http://law.justia.com/cases/georgia/supreme-court/2014/s13g1274.html

Frenetic consolidation: The anesthesia market today & where ASCs fit in
Written by Anuja Vaidya |February 05, 2016

http://www.beckersasc.com/anesthesi...nesthesia-market-today-where-ascs-fit-in.html

"According to Mr. Swearingen, the emergency medicine market is a comparable hospital-based specialty that is years ahead of anesthesia in terms of consolidation. Looking to the EM market today, around 25 percent of practicing EM physicians work for a large national consolidator. Whereas, the same can be said for about 8 percent of anesthesia physicians. But this figure has jumped from under 4 percent around five years ago, showing that the anesthesia market will see similar levels of consolidation to the EM market."

Am I reading this right? So only 8 % of anesthesiologists work for AMCs?

Reading this forum, you would think its at least 50%.

I don't believe that for a second. The actual number is MUCH higher.

It's still basically 0% in Southern California. Unless you count Palm Springs or Bakersfield.

My guess is the number is around 10-15% right now. Another 10-15% are academic or hospital employed. This means 70% of the market is still open for business. But, I don't think it will stay that way. AMCs should grow their market share to around 30% but then run into some headwinds. It is quite possible that the "employee model" will only end up being 50% of the market over the next 5 years (Employee= AMC or Academic or hospital employed).

It is difficult to estimate the total numbers of MD’s and CRNA’s in Anesthesia Management companies. Speaking with leaders of several large companies, the estimates range from 10-25% nationally. The estimates vary by the definition of “management”. For the smaller number, the company is likely a large company in which all providers are employed. Staffing, billing and management may be separate subsidiaries of the primary company. The bigger number probably refers to larger anesthesia groups which may still be managed by physician partners. Billing may be outsourced but management is usually in-house. Of course, there are many flavors in between.