Gettin Licensed in 3 states? Am I crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaq786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Georgia market is not the best for pharmacy right now. And now I think were at a point where compromises have to be made. And I'd like to make myself more marketable. South Carolina and Texas are also other states I want to get licensed for. Am I going into information overload in trying to learn the laws for all 3 states!?! Am I crazy for trying 3 states?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm licensed in three states...I studied for two at once and it was easy...then picked up the third 2 years later...and it was also easy.

I'm licensed in 3 states. It's just hella expensive more than anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have intentions to work in all three states at some point in your career? Its crazy to pay all that money to have a license you will never use. It is not uncommon to be licensed in two states. You can only transfer an original license. So it is a good idea to keep your license current in the state you were originally licensed by examination.

Licensed in 2 states - California and Texas. Only licensed in the states I've actually lived in though. California was difficult. I will NEVER let that puppy expire..........I'd never be able to pass it again. Ha.

whats wrong with GA? im from NE and plan to get license in GA.

whats wrong with GA? im from NE and plan to get license in GA.

There are absolutely NO jobs in GA. The saturation is very bad here. They just opened a new pharmacy school too so that just makes the problem even worst.

Licensed in 2 states - California and Texas. Only licensed in the states I've actually lived in though. California was difficult. I will NEVER let that puppy expire..........I'd never be able to pass it again. Ha.

I heard it was impossible to get a job in CA unless you graduated from a pharmacy school in CA. Good luck!

are u serious? i understand theres no job in big cities
like Atlanta. but everywhere else in GA is rural, so i figure
that huge state still has jobs opening.

There are absolutely NO jobs in GA. The saturation is very bad here. They just opened a new pharmacy school too so that just makes the problem even worst.

I don't think you're crazy - I plan to get licensed in 3 as well. But, I live down in the corner of a state, so I'm ridiculously close to the other 2 states (about 25 miles west for one and about 20 miles south for the other) so I think it would be crazy not to get licensed in all 3 - at least for now.

What would you guys think about the Federal government taking over the practice of pharmacy? That way, all you need to do is pass the NAPLEX, pass the federal law exam and that's it. No more having to learn different laws for different states and you can practice anywhere in the country that you want, whenever you want.

In before Republican and Libertarian people come in here hollering about how big federal government is bad and states rights vs federal rights.

i dont kno what cave u crawl out of (joking = D), but the fed has
been taking over the practice of pharmacy along with every other
profession for ages. centuries. u probabli meant to say it differently.
like uniting the laws of the land with state laws so there is only
one law to go by. uniting is preferable to saying the fed has not
taken over the practice of pharmacy.

now im guessing the reason this union does not exist b/c each
state has their own issue. ie there are more california ppl wanting
to legalize marijuana then ppl in other states. the number of ppl
wanting to legalize marijuana in Wyoming is much less. that is where
the stringent law of the state is preferred. Wyoming does not want
to follow the footsteps of Cali when Cali legalize it! which they will
with the support of facebook co-founders. = ) hence, if there exists
only one law to go by, then Cali and Wyoming will have a fit.

What would you guys think about the Federal government taking over the practice of pharmacy? That way, all you need to do is pass the NAPLEX, pass the federal law exam and that's it. No more having to learn different laws for different states and you can practice anywhere in the country that you want, whenever you want.

In before Republican and Libertarian people come in here hollering about how big federal government is bad and states rights vs federal rights.

Unconstitutional.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unconstitutional.

Interesting. What about mail order facilities? Commerce conducted across state lines already falls under federal jurisdiction I believe, so I would guess they already are regulated federally.

I find matters of law to be dreadfully boring, but what about trying to nationalize the oversight of pharmacy is unconstitutional?

Mail order pharmacies are still regulated by the state they are located in. Their day to day operations depend on the state. If they are mailing to another state, they have to get an out of state pharmacy license from them.

are u serious? i understand theres no job in big cities
like Atlanta. but everywhere else in GA is rural, so i figure
that huge state still has jobs opening.

I live in Atlanta and I was only talking about Atlanta. I have never been outside of Atlanta, so I don't know if there are jobs outside the city. I just know for the class of 2010 there was only ONE position available!!! Doesn't sound too good.

I just got a job in CA and I definitely did not go to pharmacy school here. I would be careful about saying there is absolutely NO jobs in a given state. Everyone is familiar with the current economic situation but I am sure that everyone knows about the current baby boomer population entering retirement. Things are bound to open up sometime.

I would echo previous sentiments on multiple licenses being expensive (try around 150-200 each for 2 years + the cost of the law exam). I would recommend score transferring your NAPLEX to the three states you are interested in, then spending the next year contemplating if you really want licensure in all of those states (or can afford it) before taking the MPJE and paying licensure fees.

I am only licensed in 2 states and it is enough of a pain in the butt. It gets very expensive and there is a good chance I will never use of of those licenses again. I'll keep it up for now, but I am sure once I feel "settled" I will let it expire.

At this point , there is a good chance you will have a job before you even apply for licensure.

Not really, it's like buying options for your new car. It might cost you a little bit more but it gives you more choices :D
I'm currently licensed in CA and MA. Recently, I took the TX MPJE but my ultimate goal is get to work in Hawaii 5 yrs from now:p

Interesting. What about mail order facilities? Commerce conducted across state lines already falls under federal jurisdiction I believe, so I would guess they already are regulated federally.

I find matters of law to be dreadfully boring, but what about trying to nationalize the oversight of pharmacy is unconstitutional?

Someone else already addressed the mail order pharmacy issue, but they are regulated by the states.

The licensure and regulation of the professions is a state power. That comes from the 10th Amendment to the Constitution. My undergraduate degree is in political science so I could explain a lot more, but I'm feeling lazy so I'll just post up Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution