Getting in with a strong upward trend but low voc tech grade.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should this prospective student consider an extra year of school to make up for that gpa?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, I've decided to post this because unfortunately I'm at a large school with no pre-med program so I'm relegated to the internet for help.

So I got out of high school at 16 (G.E.D.) and then went to college, had a 4.0 but of course things went south from there. I had no plans, randomly moved around the country and took a course at this college, that college, etc. Then went and got a AAS in a science heavy field and still had no real plans ended up with a lot of 90%+ B's (that if I cared could've been A's, quite easily. Went to work in said field and enjoyed it. Realized I could do more, wanted to do more. So, I went to my local university (which is truly large, but has no pre-med/med programs or anything similar) and got a C in Bio 211. I realize I can't work FT-nights and make this work so I 'm going PRN from here on out.... Also, with the lack of sleep I got 50% in the middle portion of the class on tests/quizzes. I really had to get near 100% to makeup for that.

If I do well from here on out (2 1/2 years left) what are my chances of Med school, I mean is this a longshot or what?
Would schools even consider separating out all those voc tech grades?

Stats:
3.0 approx. G.P.A. for everything.
-One thing holding this down is that I got 2 D's in AP 2 (retook in the past got A- don't know the effect) and Intro to Gen Chem (will eventually take General Chem)
-Also, I'm an idiot for this, in the AAP I took a 12 credit internship course and would've had a A but I figured at the end I would pass no matter what and got a near zero on the last assignment (by virtue of winging it). Like I said I had very short term goals. I got the highest grade in the class on the class final over the entire 2 year program and I was also the first person done so go figure. Had a A in the other course (more academic less internee course) Ended the program.

Okay so that's reality with around 110 credits (most don't count towards a bachelors because they are very specific to that AAP degree but they are around 50-60 science credits)

What can I expect tor raise my G.P.A. to if I average a 3.5+ from here on out?
Also, I need to explain how it is I do great on fInals and what not but seem to care less on a regular test (in the past anyways).

EDITED: Got better grades than I realized in this semester, but I relearned study habits and created new ones. Good thing my advisor stopped me from jumping back in and taking 21 credits! Just turned 23 so 3 more years to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I just realized I posted this in the current med school student forum.

Would a moderator be kind enough to move this please.

Thanks in advance and I'm so sorry for the mistake I was reading something in here and must've closed the wrong one on accident.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a 3.0 halfway through, you'll have a 3.5 at the end if you ace all of your other classes. 3.5 is competitive for DO school.

If you have a 3.0 halfway through, you'll have a 3.5 at the end if you ace all of your other classes. 3.5 is competitive for DO school.
Ahem, I have a 3.0 with around 110 credits, I have 2 1/2 years of school left as well.
I'm worried if I average a 3.5-3.75 I won't be competitive. I'm getting into as many graduate 600+ level science courses I can..... With only my tech background to rely on. I may not necessarily get all A's.

Also, I could go the traditional route and have a near 3.9 if one minuses everything I did before.... Would any school consider that on account I was a different person then?

I'm 23 (last month) but having left high school 2 years early and the life I've had I'm more of a non traditional student.

EDITED: Decided to not take the 600 level courses... no school will care.

Last edited:
So many things could happen over the next couple years. It's really hard to say. But if you kill it, then sure you still could have a chance at DO or even MD.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm worried if I average a 3.5-3.75 I won't be competitive. I'm getting into as many graduate 600+ level science courses I can..... With only my tech background to rely on. I may not necessarily get all A's.

Also, I could go the traditional route and have a near 3.9 if one minuses everything I did before.... Would any school consider that on account I was a different person then?

I'm 23 (last month) but having left high school 2 years early and the life I've had I'm more of a non traditional student.
All grades earned in classes completed after high school will be included in the AMCAS calculation (as well as any AP grades).
You may be a good candidate if you do very well from now on.
Given your history, you really don't have the luxury of many B's, therefore seek out study skills help before you get in this situation.
The past is not forgotten but the entire application is considered.

Reactions: 1 users
All grades earned in classes completed after high school will be included in the AMCAS calculation (as well as any AP grades).
You may be a good candidate if you do very well from now on.
Given your history, you really don't have the luxury of many B's, therefore seek out study skills help before you get in this situation.
The past is not forgotten but the entire application is considered.
I see,

So you're saying I've dug myself into a bit of a hole but if I do well from here on out, even a MD school might consider me. Of course, with the usual explain what has changed?, what happened here?, etc. type of questions.

I see,

So you're saying I've dug myself into a bit of a hole but if I do well from here on out, even a MD school might consider me. Of course, with the usual explain what has changed?, what happened here?, etc. type of questions.
Yes. What happened is less important than the fact that you changed it (of course, it remains important to you, though).

Reactions: 1 users