WAMC 3.13 gpa strong upward trend 506 mcat ORM non trad, school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LongShotLouie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
29 yo, non-trad, ORM

I was really sick waiting for a liver transplant when I started community college at 20.
first semester when sick- 3 fs, 1 d
second semester- 1 d, 1 c

-got my transplants, went back to school to pursue medicine at 21 and got my associates with a 2.78 gpa (72 credits including first two semesters)

last 70 credits of my biology bachelor were 3.9

Clinical experience- 2500 hours as a surgery floor tech (not a scrub)
Research- none unfortunately I applied for some but covid hit right as I started university and I graduated December 2021
Volunteering- 200 hours for donate life
EC's- was an officer in the premed club, and worked all throughout college
MCAT- 506 (126/127/126/127)

Going to apply mostly to DO so any school recommendations would be great. I don't see many 3.1 gpa's around here. Also shout out to GORO you're the best

im looking to apply to all the DO schools in AZ, AL, most in Ca
MD schools, no idea, will depend on my mcat if I want to risk the money

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state residency? Good luck on the MCAT. Fill out a template when you can.

What is your cGPA and sGPA ? Where is your state of residence ?
They're both 3.1, Alabama. 2 of my Fs and the D were in math/science courses during my first two semesters

Thanks for the luck, I will fill one out when I can

They're both 3.1, Alabama. 2 of my Fs and the D were in math/science courses during my first two semesters

Thanks for the luck, I will fill one out when I can
You could receive interviews at some DO schools depending on your MCAT score. post your score here when available.

Reactions: 1 user
Hat tip to what you have had to overcome. What were/are your responsibilities for Donate Life?

Shadowing?
Hey thanks. For donate life they would tell me where they wanted to set up a booth (usually at college campuses, business events, some sporting events), I would go pick up the booth supplies at HQ, set it up and talk to people about organ donation and sign people up using these cards. Had to stop when I moved across the country.

For shadowing I followed an ophthalmologist surgeon around for a day watching surgeries, had a few doctors let me watch them do surgeries and talk me through. I’m hoping I can count the retracting I’ve done on surgeries as shadowing but if I can’t then I’m at about 40 hours of shadowing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey thanks. For donate life they would tell me where they wanted to set up a booth (usually at college campuses, business events, some sporting events), I would go pick up the booth supplies at HQ, set it up and talk to people about organ donation and sign people up using these cards. Had to stop when I moved across the country.

For shadowing I followed an ophthalmologist surgeon around for a day watching surgeries, had a few doctors let me watch them do surgeries and talk me through. I’m hoping I can count the retracting I’ve done on surgeries as shadowing but if I can’t then I’m at about 40 hours of shadowing.
Okay. You do need a service orientation-focused community service activity where you are alleviating others' distress that does not involve being a subject matter expert (education or healthcare). Examples include food distribution, shelter work, job or tax planning services, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Your work with Donate Life is important as an administrative volunteer raising awareness of the importance of organ donation, but it doesn't meet the AAMC service orientation definition. That said, if you are applying DO programs, you may have a little flexibility, but it has been our experience that schools screen out applicants with fewer than 150 hours of service orientation activity at the time they submitted their application (future hours do not count).

Reactions: 1 users
Okay. You do need a service orientation-focused community service activity where you are alleviating others' distress that does not involve being a subject matter expert (education or healthcare). Examples include food distribution, shelter work, job or tax planning services, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Your work with Donate Life is important as an administrative volunteer raising awareness of the importance of organ donation, but it doesn't meet the AAMC service orientation definition. That said, if you are applying DO programs, you may have a little flexibility, but it has been our experience that schools screen out applicants with fewer than 150 hours of service orientation activity at the time they submitted their application (future hours do not count).
Wow good to know, I didn’t realize there was a service oriented volunteer screening. Thanks! I’ll check out what options are available near me. My hospital has a service where employees can go sit with high risk patients who are staying at the hospital to keep an eye on them, do you think that would count?

Wow good to know, I didn’t realize there was a service oriented volunteer screening. Thanks! I’ll check out what options are available near me. My hospital has a service where employees can go sit with high risk patients who are staying at the hospital to keep an eye on them, do you think that would count?
The more independent from healthcare, the better. Short answer: noble, but no.

Reactions: 2 users