Getting into residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenPRunkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do some schools give you better chances at getting into certain residencies? For instance, I have heard very good things about Inova and Dekalb and was wondering if some schools have better connections with these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Do some schools give you better chances at getting into certain residencies? For instance, I have heard very good things about Inova and Dekalb and was wondering if some schools have better connections with these programs.

Perhaps going to Inova's website..

http://www.inova.org/clinical-educa...owship-programs/podiatrics/administration.jsp

Program Director
Stephen F. Stern, DPM

http://www.affiliatedfootcenters.com/1_our_doctor.php

School: New York College of Podiatric Medicine

So even with some of the bad mouthing on SDN regarding NYCPM... look at where Inova's residency director graduated from... you get the point.

So nycpm has a connection to Inova. What about temple? I noticed most of the admin at dekalb went to temple so are they more inclined to take temple students?

Members don't see this ad :)

The school giving you greater marks, board scores, research experience, connections, superior proffesors and preparation will be your link to your dream residency :)

There are some residencies that are more intimately linked to schools due to funding reasons. Which residents are linked to which schools I don't know since I've been out of the game for too long in that regard.

Does anyone know what residencies Scholl, Barry, and temple have connections with?

I get what you're saying AnkleBreaker. But say you have 3-4 externships during the course of your 4th year. Does that mean you end up applying to 3-4 residencies? Because I know allopathic MS4's who apply to 50+ residencies (most of which they haven't done externships at). If this is the case are students who have done more externships at an advantage in terms of potential interviews

TL;DR = do you have a chance of matching at residencies you haven't externed at or is it pretty much a long shot (unlike the MD/DO match).