Getting Letters of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is one area i have been trying to figure out for awhile now. I still have some time left in undergrad work, so i think i am ok time wise (i don't have only a few weeks left or anything like that). The things i have thought of for getting letters of recommendation for grad school are to join the psychology club at my university, which many of the professors regularly participate in, narrowing down my final psychology classes to three professors and just take a bunch of classes with them, and doing independent study and/or honors thesis with a professor. Are there any other things that i could do to help with this aspect of the grad school application?

Also i am maintaining very high psychology course grades (still at that 4.0), so getting good grades isn't too much of an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

This is one area i have been trying to figure out for awhile now. I still have some time left in undergrad work, so i think i am ok time wise (i don't have only a few weeks left or anything like that). The things i have thought of for getting letters of recommendation for grad school are to join the psychology club at my university, which many of the professors regularly participate in, narrowing down my final psychology classes to three professors and just take a bunch of classes with them, and doing independent study and/or honors thesis with a professor. Are there any other things that i could do to help with this aspect of the grad school application?

Also i am maintaining very high psychology course grades (still at that 4.0), so getting good grades isn't too much of an issue.

Well sounds like you are on the right track. Really get to know your psych professors. If you are a top student, stop by to B.S. every once in a while starting with a topic from class or something relevant. They know you are not going to be stopping in for help about a topic you don't quite get. You can even just ask them about their graduate school experiences (believe me this was helpful!)

It's that interaction and them getting to know you as a person that is important. If possible, I took classes with my favorite professors. The two in particular were awesome, both really got to know me well. To the point that they would stop and talk to me in the halls between classes and whatnot. As a result their letters of recommendation were full of detail and salient. They did not seem contrived or mechanical, but caring and honest endorsements - These are the kinds of letters you kill for.

Mark

Well sounds like you are on the right track. Really get to know your psych professors. If you are a top student, stop by to B.S. every once in a while starting with a topic from class or something relevant. They know you are not going to be stopping in for help about a topic you don't quite get. You can even just ask them about their graduate school experiences (believe me this was helpful!)

It's that interaction and them getting to know you as a person that is important. If possible, I took classes with my favorite professors. The two in particular were awesome, both really got to know me well. To the point that they would stop and talk to me in the halls between classes and whatnot. As a result their letters of recommendation were full of detail and salient. They did not seem contrived or mechanical, but caring and honest endorsements - These are the kinds of letters you kill for.

Mark

Would i want letters from all clinical psychologists or a psychologists from different backgrounds? The only professor i know somewhat well so far (i'm transfered to a new university this year) is an I/O psychologist. Would i want a letter from someone like that or should i look for something closer to what i want to pursue?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would i want letters from all clinical psychologists or a psychologists from different backgrounds? The only professor i know somewhat well so far (i'm transfered to a new university this year) is an I/O psychologist. Would i want a letter from someone like that or should i look for something closer to what i want to pursue?

None of my letters were from clinical psychologists. I had letters from my honors dept associate dean , two psych professors, and my honors thesis adviser who was a sociologist (yes, my undergrad was psychology, I had to fire my original thesis adviser.)

You do want at least two psychology faculty and all Ph.D. letter writers.

Mark

PhD or MD (psychiatrist)

I have one MD psychiatrist, 2 clinical psychologists and 1 PhD psychology professor/scientist. Hopefully that will suffice, despite having only ONE professor.

I have one MD psychiatrist, 2 clinical psychologists and 1 PhD psychology professor/scientist. Hopefully that will suffice, despite having only ONE professor.

That should be fine, they are looking for people who have been through the process of gaining a Ph.D. (or an M.D.) I don't see how those will not suffice, while preference is sometimes given to academic references, if these letters are from clinical experience or research efforts they will carry equal weight.

Mark

As T4C clarifies, the MD reference was with regard to clinical/research experience with a Psychiatrist specifically. You do need to attempt to have your LORs tailored to the programs you want to attend.

That should be fine, they are looking for people who have been through the process of gaining a Ph.D. (or an M.D.) I don't see how those will not suffice, while preference is sometimes given to academic references, if these letters are from clinical experience or research efforts they will carry equal weight.

Mark

I'm going to disagree with this. MD training and Ph.D/Psy.D training are two totally different animals, and the purpose of the LOR is to speak to your ability to complete the Ph.D./Psy.D. training. Most programs will discount the M.D. recommendation, some won't even consider it. If you are serious about grad school, you NEED 3 recommendations from doctoral level professors/clinical psychologists. Some people get by with 2 from them, and 1 from a grad researcher/mentor/boss etc....but they better be in the field and/or REALLY know you on a personal level. This process is too competitive to short yourself in an area.

As for the equal weight....not at all. If you are looking at a research school, you better get people to speak to your research efforts. Some schools won't care about your clinical skills (of course, some will). It is important to get LORs that best match up with the type of program you are looking at. If you are looking at balance programs or programs that are more clinical, you definitely should have at least 1 LOR from someone who can speak to clinical abilities or attributes you possess that would make you successful in that arena.

-t

I'm going to disagree with this. MD training and Ph.D/Psy.D training are two totally different animals, and the purpose of the LOR is to speak to your ability to complete the Ph.D./Psy.D. training. Most programs will discount the M.D. recommendation, some won't even consider it. If you are serious about grad school, you NEED 3 recommendations from doctoral level professors/clinical psychologists.

Hey T- In all fairness, I'm going to have to disagree with your disagreement.

Having an MD, especially a psychiatrist, provide an LOR (depending on what they write) may show that the applicant has an understanding of the specialization (PhD in clinical psych or whatever degree & specialization). One of my LOR came from an MD (as well as PhDs -prof & nonprof, and a PsyD). This MD (who was a surgeon-curse him!) wrote about how I was instrumental in everything from basic research to clinical work, especially my positive & professional interactions with patients. Also, it may show you are better-rounded in your networking.

My advice is to get your courage up and ask someone you respect who will write you a gleaming letter. She/he can always say no...but the more letters, the merrier (just in case one doesn't reach in time for the deadline and your application is held back).

Just my opinion...take or leave it...no wave making intended....;)

This MD (who was a surgeon-curse him!) wrote about how I was instrumental in everything from basic research to clinical work, especially my positive & professional interactions with patients. Also, it may show you are better-rounded in your networking.

Letters like that are worth their weight in gold.

Mark

I'm going to disagree with this. MD training and Ph.D/Psy.D training are two totally different animals, and the purpose of the LOR is to speak to your ability to complete the Ph.D./Psy.D. training. Most programs will discount the M.D. recommendation, some won't even consider it. If you are serious about grad school, you NEED 3 recommendations from doctoral level professors/clinical psychologists. Some people get by with 2 from them, and 1 from a grad researcher/mentor/boss etc....but they better be in the field and/or REALLY know you on a personal level. This process is too competitive to short yourself in an area.

As for the equal weight....not at all. If you are looking at a research school, you better get people to speak to your research efforts. Some schools won't care about your clinical skills (of course, some will). It is important to get LORs that best match up with the type of program you are looking at. If you are looking at balance programs or programs that are more clinical, you definitely should have at least 1 LOR from someone who can speak to clinical abilities or attributes you possess that would make you successful in that arena.

-t

What if the M.D. is involved in research? My boss is a professor in the psychiatry department, does it still count against me that he has an M.D.?

Also, if the LOR writers are professors who specialize in a field I want to go into, but are not psychologists, does that also count against the applicant?

I too respectfully disagree with TherapistForChnge regarding a LOR from an MD -- if by MD we mean a psychiatrist. By no means would a letter from a psychiatrist be discounted by a clinical program. Such a statement by TFC also implies that it would be bad judgment for an applicant to submit such a LOR. Frankly, this is just not true. It is extremely common for applicants to clinical programs to have a background as a research assistant (paid or unpaid) on studies whose PI is a psychiatrist. Though yes, as TFC noted, the model of MD training different than that of a psychologist, a good psychiatrist MD is psychologically-minded. Therefore, they can provide solid judgment in the LOR as to whether you too are psychologically minded, and to what degree. Also, if you are doing research for the PI and you are applying to PhD programs, you most definitely would benefit with a LOR from the psychiatrist to speak to your research accomplishments, and clinical skills if your research involved clinical aspects. Even if you plan on psyD programs that are really only clinical in nature, and your RA position involves no clinical aspects, the LOR from the psychiatrist PI can speak to your professionalism, social skills dealing with your colleagues and advisers, and attest to your hard work. And perhaps the clinical qualities you bring to your research experiences. These are important applicant characteristics that admissions committees seek. But, as TFC also importantly noted, different programs have specific requirements regarding who they want your letters written by. Some programs may require that all 3 LOR be written by professors of your classes. So, as is the case in any endeavor, read the admissions requirements carefully, and plan accordingly. It may be preferred to have clinical psychologists rather than an IO psychologist write your LOR. But again, if you have a close relationship with that IO psych, and they know how to craft an appropriate letter, and without that letter you're short of a LOR, don't freak out. I happen to have done research in the past with a PI psychiatrist. However, almost all the RAs there planned to apply to clinical doctoral programs, not psychiatry. The psychiatrist PI wrote a LOR for those determined worthy of a LOR. They now attend extremely competitive clinical programs. From your posting it appears you have sufficient time to place yourself in the best situations to get the most useful LOR. And take MarkP's advise to task too in terms of going out of your way to develop close relations with your professors. Glowing LOR with a poverty of specifics to back up what's written are the types of letters that, while not discounted, will not weight as heavily as those letters that speak to specifics. Good luck.

I also agree that a LOR from a psychiatrist will not hold you back. I had a letter from a psychiatrist that I completed research with and I was accepted to a number of competitive clinical psych programs.