Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dre42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a post bac currently working as a research coordinator at a local med school and I am planning to apply to clinical doctorate programs in psychology next year. I'm currently studying for my GRE's, working on a first author publication with my PI, and volunteering for a 988 crisis line.

Most of the 13 programs I have chosen to apply to have a three rec letter requirement. However, the team I work with is rather small (it's just me, my PI and one other study coordinator) so I've been stumped about where to get the other two letters from.

My department has a few other professors, but I never see them since they all have their own teams and offices, and most of them work from home. I'm considering sending a couple of awkward emails to them explaining my situation to see if maybe some of them would be willing to help me out. I would love to actually work with them and get to know them so when the time comes, they can speak about me on a deeper, personal level.

Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone has any advice, relatable personal experience, or any ideas on how to get the other two letters. Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A few thoughts:
- Did you write an undergraduate thesis? If so, your thesis advisor should write one...
- Your post-bacc mentor should definitely write one...
- Consider asking another professor from undergrad who knows you well?

I forget exactly who wrote mine, but I imagine it was the PI I was working for at the time (similar set up to yours; he would have known me the best), my undergraduate thesis advisor (she knew me well while in college, although I took 3 years off between finishing undergrad and applying), and likely another PI I worked for in college (who would have known me the least) <-- I think this setup is common-ish (e.g., someone who knows you well in the here-and-now, someone who knew you well a couple years ago, someone who knew you a little bit a couple years ago). Interested to see if others disagree with me.

Reactions: 2 users
I am planning to apply to clinical doctorate programs in psychology next year
Are you applying in a couple months for this next cycle or waiting until Fall 2024 to apply?

If you're waiting until Fall 2024, that would be plenty of time to establish at least one new working relationships where that person can meaningfully speak to your qualities.

But if the plan is to apply later this fall, I would follow the above posted advice. Not all letters will be perfect but hopefully each adds to how you present yourself via personal statement in meaningful and congruent ways.

If you didn't get opportunities like doing an undergrad thesis so that your relationships with former profs were not very meaningful, I'd still try to get 1 letter from a former prof and then consider the best 3rd letter that you can find, which could include less traditional writers such as your 988 crisis line supervisor and have them speak to your personal qualities, work ethic, interest in this field, etc.

This would not be ideal since your application is being reviewed by academics, who will naturally be biased toward what their peers are writing. Some may be more dismissive of non PhD letters, unfortunately.

Also, is your med school PI a psychologist or MD/other field? I imagine most successful applicants have at least one really strong rec from a PhD/PsyD. Good luck!

I have been out of college for about 7 years at this point. I did actually spent about 1.5 years as a research assistant as an undergrad working for a professor who was studying Seasonal Affective Disorder. But it was such a long bloody time ago that I'm hesitant to reach out to him, I'm not sure he even remembers me at this point lol. Although, he was a great mentor and we had a great relationship.

I am thinking of applying next year; I definitely do not feel ready to apply this year. The PI I work for at the moment is an accomplished neuropsychologist and an esteemed scholar (PhD, ABPP-CN). We have a great working relationship. His letter will be at the zenith of my application package, however, I fear it alone won’t be enough. Like @summerbabe mentioned, having 3 strong letters from academics would be ideal, and not just 1.

My 988 supervisor is a great lady who will readily vouch for me. However her educational background and line of work is slightly different and I know a letter from her would not have the gravitas needed for a competitive application package.

Thanks for your insights, I'm still thinking about this...

Last edited: