Getting nervous...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sportsmeddoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently only have one interview and have yet to hear back from 6 schools. Although I didn't send in my applications to 2 until October and the rest in September. I have a 29Q, 3.75 overall and 3.88 sGPA. What are the chances that I will get another interview. I applied to SUNY Albany, u buffalo, u Toledo, Cincinnati, Michigan state and northeastern Ohio.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently only have one interview and have yet to hear back from 6 schools. Although I didn't send in my applications to 2 until October and the rest in September. I have a 29Q, 3.75 overall and 3.88 sGPA. What are the chances that I will get another interview. I applied to SUNY Albany, u buffalo, u Toledo, Cincinnati, Michigan state and northeastern Ohio.

How are your ECs, PS, and LOR?

What is your home state?

Shadowing orthopedic surgery 8 hours
Shadowing Neurosurgery 60 hrs
Chem tutor 10 hrs/wk for 2 years
Research in hospital 90 hrs
Health Leads volunteer 150 hrs
DI Athlete 20-30 hrs per week for 3 years

There are some other things but I don't want to get too specific. These have been my general time investments.

I am an Ohio resident. As for my LORs I think my committee letter is fairly strong. I also started working in a biochemistry lab doing research last semester and plan to continue this spring. So if I need to reapply I will have that to show.

Members don't see this ad :)

Chances are extremely low. You applied very late, especially considering your low stats (particularly that 29MCAT).

If you don't get in this cycle, make sure your next application is in on June 1 and that your secondaries are in shortly after you receive them.

That's a good point. I wish I hadn't applied so late. I'll be sure to apply early this year. I'm also planning on retaking the mcat in may. Any other advice to improve my application?

If you aren't opposed to DO throw an app to OUCOM.

Consider adding Wright State? How important is it to you to stay local? If you added some other schools a little farther away you'd have a better chance. Good luck upping that MCAT! It's not horrible for the schools you applied to probably but the higher the better of course.

I would like to stay in Ohio because it's so much cheaper than going out of state.

Your statistics are very competetive at OUHCOM. They might be starting to get more selective but you are still good stats wise. Be sure you can display an understanding of osteopathic medicine and OMM in your interviews. Have you shadowed any primary care by chance? Shadowed DOs? Have a DO letter of rec? All of these things could be helpful but the ship has sailed on them if you don't have them already since your interview is coming up so soon. They want to interview you for a reason, rock it and you have a good shot. Good luck!

Apologies my interview is at wright state. The school seems to be a good fit so I'm hoping the interview goes well. Next time I apply I will include do but I think I'm just going to focus on retaking the mcat now. My season for athletics starts in a few weeks and I won't have much free time.

I will definitely keep those things in mind this semester though. I really need to get some shadowing in with a PCP and a DO doctor.

Oh nice! Good luck man, rock that interview and maybe there wont be a next time!

You have pretty good numbers but there's always a chance that schools wil llook down their noses at your 29 MCAT. Typically, MD programs like 30's (10/10/10)+'s.

If you're from OH, I can't see the luck for the SUNYs. You cetainly should be good for UC.

IF perchance, you're shut out his year, widen your net; you should be comeptetive for UK, for example. You're fine for most mid-tier schools and all DO programs.

So I thought I would provide an update, I ultimately received 3 interviews. I've been accepted, wait listed and an still waiting to hear back from the third. As for the other three schools I mentioned, they've been silent so far.

What 3 schools did you receive interviews from? The reason I'm asking is because I'm in the same boat as you (studying for the MCAT now) and my cGPA and sGPA are basically parallel and a lot of my EC's are the same. I'm going to try to be complete in June after I take my MCAT (and of April) but this post is encouraging. Please let me know!

So I thought I would provide an update, I ultimately received 3 interviews. I've been accepted, wait listed and an still waiting to hear back from the third. As for the other three schools I mentioned, they've been silent so far.

A happy ending, and beginning!