getting rejected after acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I got into an opt school but i have to send in my grades after fall, so I'm not sure if there is a possibly to get rejected after acceptnace if you fail a class?

Members don't see this ad.

I got into an opt school but i have to send in my grades after fall, so I'm not sure if there is a possibly to get rejected after acceptnace if you fail a class?

You will either get rejected or they will hold your seat for the following year. Depends on the school. Which school?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive me for being blunt here, but i think you need to be worried if you are failing classes in undergrad that aren't major classes and you have yet to set foot into the professional program. You're going to need some SERIOUS discipline in OD school to cut it.

Forgive me for being blunt here, but i think you need to be worried if you are failing classes in undergrad that aren't major classes and you have yet to set foot into the professional program. You're going to need some SERIOUS discipline in OD school to cut it.

Anyone struggling in non-science courses in undergrad will likely get a military-style beat down in an OD program. When the proficiencies start rolling in, get ready.

what class is it? my thoughts are that it wont matter much at IAUPR, as long as it not a prereq course, and as long as it doesnt destroy your GPA. some schools occasionally accept candidates without a BS/BA. IAUPR is one of them that will occasionally accept candidates without a BS/BA. Failing courses..depend on the course

At best this is a lap in judgement. This person will likely do fine in optometry school -- if you can get in, then there's a 90 percent chance you'll graduate. Discipline shmiscipline.

Sorry, dude, the 90% figure is not accurate. It might be for some programs, but upwards of 20% of students in some programs are either booted out or held back one or more times. The more important thing to consider is the percentage of students who have failed a non-science course that end up not finishing the program. I don't have exact numbers, but for the programs I've worked with, that number is more than 10%, particularly when the academic performance has been suspect or borderline all along.

IAUPR may have lax standards, but they do blast students out the back door, although I don't know the exact numbers. Personally, I wish they'd shut their doors since their graduates are typically some of the most clueless ODs out there, at least initially. I had a group of 6 IAUPR students sit near me at a boards review course and the questions they were asking were terrifying. During the optics review, one of them actually asked: "Soooo, what exactly is refraction....I just don't get it. I mean, I know what it is, but I guess I don't." Lots of awkward silence and bird chirps followed. Wow, come to think of it, if that chick could graduate from their program, pretty much anyone could.

what if its not even for my major?

I have to agree with everyone on here, I understand getting a bad grade in physics or ochem...but a course not for your major?? lol at least I aced all my psych/english classes. Did you not get into Western or Rosenberg? That seems like the only reason someone would go to PR... Also I've heard even though they SAY you don't need Spanish, apparently you do. So if you're failing classes in English, good luck taking them in Spanish lolol.

As everyone else said, you're going to have to bust your ass once you're in. I really hope you just go lazy and that you wont let it happen again.

Take the class over the summer. If you pray, you can start doing that as well.

At best this is a lap in judgement. This person will likely do fine in optometry school -- if you can get in, then there's a 90 percent chance you'll graduate. Discipline shmiscipline.
Is that statistic supported by fact?

Is that statistic supported by fact?

Read the very next post after it. And I'm sure that person just threw out the 90% as a generalization, because optometry schools want their students to do well (because drop-out rates reflect poorly on the school). Most people who drop out do so because they realize optometry wasn't for them or family situations arise. Same thing applies to med school - once you are in, they really want to keep you there (not that they don't work you to death, but they aren't trying to weed you out through failing you at that point).

While they don't weed you out, most will stop you from graduating until you're competent as it reflects poorly on the school if you fail boards as well.. Here at OSU, there are minimums required to continue and failure to meet those means you repeat the year again.. All of the classes, not just the class you 'failed'.

While they don't weed you out, most will stop you from graduating until you're competent as it reflects poorly on the school if you fail boards as well.. Here at OSU, there are minimums required to continue and failure to meet those means you repeat the year again.. All of the classes, not just the class you 'failed'.

At OSU, do they not kick out students for having a bad GPA?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk