GI fee per slide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPathMD

Reaction score
I am a pathologist recently approached by a GI colleague to consider reading biopsies that they will start taking in an in office endoscopy facility. What is the current fair market fee for this type of arrangement (fee per slide/jar)?. I have heard anywhere from $11 to $30 per slide/jar/88305. This is one of a few places where I have seen this discussed and would greatly appreciate any feedback to decide whether to consider this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask DaveCx. He’s got experience with this.

Get as much as you can but then again if you ask for too much they’d say take a hike and will go look for someone cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The usual rate is per CPT code - there is a huge range dependent on location, payor mix, reimbursement rate, etc. I would ask around in your geographic area. But make sure it's CPT code (so you get paid for special stains, IHC, etc as well). In addition, make sure your contract spells out the arrangement for medical directorship (if any), turn around time expectations (if any), slide cap per day, and malpractice.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many 305's per day and how far do you have to drive?

They expect to do 20 to 40 jars per day (roughly 5000 to 6000 jars/305s per year) based on my calculations.
No additional driving.

$15 per 88305. Hell, ask for more if you can.

I spent $15 on a Chipotle bowl with double steak the other day because these stingy a)$ employees are told to just give one spoonful of meat.

You’ll be like the Chipotle of GI Path, but instead of cranking out bowls and burritos you’ll be cranking out TAs all day.

Instead of asking those gastroenterologists, “it’s extra for guacamole is that ok?” make sure you ask them “it’s extra for additional IHCs and special stains, is that ok?” :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑🥑

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
They expect to do 20 to 40 jars per day (roughly 5000 to 6000 jars/305s per year) based on my calculations.
No additional driving.
I would ask for 20 per code. 17 would be a reasonable negotiation. If it were higher volume then maybe 15 would be ok.

Do you think it would be better to take a flat fee per slide like $20 per code or negotiate a percentage of code collected (maybe 50% or more of PC collected)?

Do you think it would be better to take a flat fee per slide like $20 per code or negotiate a percentage of code collected (maybe 50% or more of PC collected)?
It would be best if you can let the burden of “collections” fall on someone other than yourself. Collections can be crappy. You want to get paid per case/code regardless of collections. This is assuming that someone else is billing insurance/mc/patient primarily. Let them worry about the billing/collection circus. You get paid piece work regardless.

I would not do the percentage. Firstly I don't trust any GI office with doing accurate lab billing. Secondly, it is technically fee splitting which is non-compliant, although its not likely anyone would care. Flat fee is better and have it cover all codes.

How much do you recommend per special stains (88312, 88313) and IHCs (88342, 88341)?

How much do you recommend per special stains (88312, 88313) and IHCs (88342, 88341)?
We have been over this. One fee per code. Ask for 20 settle on 17 at the lowest. You can make money efficiently this way as long as the reporting allows you to build macros. Thats the advantage. Key stroke entry. I only have to type maybe on 5% of cases.

Oh okay, so no matter the code, the same fee per slide. So $20, lowest 17 for each stain and IHCs as well, correct?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I other words any submitted professional code (88305, 88342, 88341, 88312, 88313) $20.

And don't forget, you will need a procedure manual and a clia license.

How about medical director fee? Would you ask for this as well or just stick with the flat fee?

How about medical director fee? Would you ask for this as well or just stick with the flat fee?
I would ask for something for medical director fee. They still need oversight to run the lab. If you do it for free, I am not sure it is very compliant. Also, I would keep detailed records of ALL of your cases and CPT codes that you charged per case. You're giving up your right to bill for these cases, but you're still partly responsible if any shenanigans are going on. Have your contract looked over by an experienced attorney, too.

As re: your CLIA, there aren’t too many inspection requirements. They (in my day) could be satisfied by CAP compliance. Get the check lists and pay attention to anything related to the applicable sections as they apply to the PC aspect of anatomical pathology. As Dave alluded, the procedure manual is a must and you can cover 95% of the requirements with that accomplished. You should get a director fee. There is a license involved with your name on it. You can only hold so many (?5) at one time. Therefore, each one has (potential) value.

This is a great point. Does anyone know the exact number of CLIA licenses a medical director can hold at one time?

I am a pathologist recently approached by a GI colleague to consider reading biopsies that they will start taking in an in office endoscopy facility. What is the current fair market fee for this type of arrangement (fee per slide/jar)?. I have heard anywhere from $11 to $30 per slide/jar/88305. This is one of a few places where I have seen this discussed and would greatly appreciate any feedback to decide whether to consider this. Thanks!
Just curious if you're doing this on the side/weekends as a current member in a larger practice or if you're a solo...

Solo surg path fellowship
Arent you worried you are going to lose your surgpath skills the longer you stay at this GI only gig? If you were to try to get a hospital based position later on, I’m thinking groups would be concerned that you haven’t seen general surgpath for x number of years or however long you plan to stay there?

I’d recommend every junior pathologist out there get a busy hospital based job either in private or academics straight out of fellowship. Gain good signout experience at a busy hospital so you can be marketable later on if you want to switch jobs. If you are lucky to be at a busy place and you like your group then you are golden.

Last edited:
Arent you worried you are going to lose your surgpath skills the longer you stay at this GI only gig? If you were to try to get a hospital based position later on, I’m thinking groups would be concerned that you haven’t seen general surgpath for x number of years or however long you plan to stay there?

I’d recommend every junior pathologist out there get a busy hospital based job either in private or academics straight out of fellowship. Gain good signout experience at a busy hospital so you can be marketable later on if you want to switch jobs. If you are lucky to be at a busy place and you like your group then you are golden.
I completely agree with this. I had assumed that the OP was asking about a side gig, not primary occupation.

Correct this is a side hustle, no intention of giving up my day job.