Girlfriend claiming me as dependent - impacts on my FAP application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Levi2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK my situation is like this: I'm a fulltime student planning to take MCAT and apply for medical schools soon, and I'm preparing my FAP applications ASAP. I live with my girlfriend who has a fulltime job and makes good money. She claimed me as tax dependent for the past two years and it worked out fine. Of course she won't pay my MCAT and school application fees.

Problem: If she claims me as a dependent on 2014 tax form, will this affect my FAP application? I do some school work so I have couple thousand $ income on my W2 to file 1040. Since I will need to include my 1040 form in FAP application, they will see on it I'm claimed as dependent by her. Will this affect my application at all?

If this will affect my FAP application result negatively, then maybe she will not claim me. My parents live overseas so their financials don't impact me much.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions/insight!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you are claimed as anyone's dependent, they look at 300% of both of your income (2 person household) together. In addition to that, unlike other federal funded programs, these are privately funded, so they will also look at whether your parents' income meets the qualification as well (so 300% of theirs). If, you are claimed as dependent on your parents tax form, they look at all yours+your parents (3 person household). Since you said your parents are overseas, I am not sure how that plays into this. Do you see any benefits of being dependent for your gf's tax? If not, you should file separately since FAP will help out a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the AAMC site:

"The Fee Assistance Program, unlike some federally funded programs, does not draw distinctions based on your dependent or independent status for tax purposes, therefore, parental financial information and supporting tax documentation are required. Parental information is viewed independently from applicant data, but must also fall within eligibility guidelines. This requirement cannot be waived on the basis of your marital status, age, or tax filing status."

Reactions: 1 user
I think if you are claimed as anyone's dependent, they look at 300% of both of your income (2 person household) together. In addition to that, unlike other federal funded programs, these are privately funded, so they will also look at whether your parents' income meets the qualification as well (so 300% of theirs). If, you are claimed as dependent on your parents tax form, they look at all yours+your parents (3 person household). Since you said your parents are overseas, I am not sure how that plays into this. Do you see any benefits of being dependent for your gf's tax? If not, you should file separately since FAP will help out a lot.

Thanks! Well the benefits would be lowering her taxable income for about $4,000, thus saving us about $1,000. Maybe we should choose FAP over this tax benefit.

Thanks! Well the benefits would be lowering her taxable income for about $4,000, thus saving us about $1,000. Maybe we should choose FAP over this tax benefit.
Maybe it doesn't hurt reading the post above. The best thing to do is to email FAP directly, they usually respond promptly.