MCAT FAP and Registration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

The next time the FAP will be open is in February. Registration for May-June also opens in Febuary. Would the FAP open before the Registration? Can you apply for FAP after registering for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

The next time the FAP will be open is in February. Registration for May-June also opens in Febuary. Would the FAP open before the Registration? Can you apply for FAP after registering for the MCAT?
You can always apply for FAP (whenever applications are open), but my understanding is that they will not refund any fees paid before FAP is approved. So, you not only need to apply, you also need to be approved, and I have no idea how long that takes. You'll either have to hold off on registering for the MCAT until you are approved, or accept that you will have to pay for that registration.

From the AAMC website:

Fee Assistance Program benefits are NOT retroactive. Benefits may only be applied after the Fee Assistance Program benefits have been awarded. For example, if you pay full fees for an MCAT registration and your Fee Assistance Program application is later approved, the MCAT registration fees will not be refunded. Also, you will not be able to use your awarded medical school designations if your AMCAS application was submitted before your Fee Assistance Program application was approved. The AAMC is not responsible for any MCAT registration deadlines or medical school application deadlines you may miss while waiting for the review of your Fee Assistance Program application. No refunds will be issued if you pay full fees for an MSAR subscription, MCAT registration or an AMCAS application, for example, those fees will not be refunded if your Fee Assistance Program application is later approved. All sales are final on AAMC products.

Reactions: 1 user
You can always apply for FAP (whenever applications are open), but my understanding is that they will not refund any fees paid before FAP is approved. So, you not only need to apply, you also need to be approved, and I have no idea how long that takes. You'll either have to hold off on registering for the MCAT until you are approved, or accept that you will have to pay for that registration.

From the AAMC website:

Fee Assistance Program benefits are NOT retroactive. Benefits may only be applied after the Fee Assistance Program benefits have been awarded. For example, if you pay full fees for an MCAT registration and your Fee Assistance Program application is later approved, the MCAT registration fees will not be refunded. Also, you will not be able to use your awarded medical school designations if your AMCAS application was submitted before your Fee Assistance Program application was approved. The AAMC is not responsible for any MCAT registration deadlines or medical school application deadlines you may miss while waiting for the review of your Fee Assistance Program application. No refunds will be issued if you pay full fees for an MSAR subscription, MCAT registration or an AMCAS application, for example, those fees will not be refunded if your Fee Assistance Program application is later approved. All sales are final on AAMC products.
Dang -- that's what I get for procrastinating I guess. I just been so tired and putting it off. I'll still be happy about the other benefits though if I get approved that is.

EDIT: Thank you :)

Dang -- that's what I get for procrastinating I guess. I just been so tired and putting it off. I'll still be happy about the other benefits though if I get approved that is.

EDIT: Thank you :)
You'll be fine! As you know, people on SDN tend to be overly neurotic. While certain dates, times and locations do fill up, you'll always be able to score a place somewhere, no matter when you register.

If you don't NEED, NEED a certain location and date, I'd just wait for the approval before registering. The big value in the FAP is definitely going to be the secondary fee waivers, but every little bit helps and I wouldn't pay the registration fee if I could avoid it, even if I had to travel a little further to take the test, or take it on my second or third choice date! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine! As you know, people on SDN tend to be overly neurotic. While certain dates, times and locations do fill up, you'll always be able to score a place somewhere, no matter when you register.

If you don't NEED, NEED a certain location and date, I'd just wait for the approval before registering. The big value in the FAP is definitely going to be the secondary fee waivers, but every little bit helps and I wouldn't pay the registration fee if I could avoid it, even if I had to travel a little further to take the test, or take it on my second or third choice date! :cool:
Hoping not a lot of June test-takers. Really want to stay local because next testing site is about 40 minutes out.

Love the profile pic. So hyped for this final season so far. But yeah, it's not retroactive. It may also take some time to get approved as soon as you submit around Feb when it opens. But the good thing is that it's valid for 2 years (but not from the date you got approved, it's strictly on yearly calendar so Jan 2021-Dec 2022).
Same! Watch out for spoilers unless you've already read it. Too many people on social media ruining it :(. Thank you for informing me!

EDIT: Next episode is going to be 🔥

Last edited by a moderator: