give up MD and do podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cs2128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted at Barry for podiatry and got rejected from every MD school. The reason being my GPA (3.0) and my MCAT 19. Should i just attend podiatry school or try to retake the MCAT and increase my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got accepted at Barry for podiatry and got rejected from every MD school. The reason being my GPA (3.0) and my MCAT 19. Should i just attend podiatry school or try to retake the MCAT and increase my GPA?

Take that podiatry acceptance and run with it. Seriously.

Reactions: 8 users
You have a serious and long uphill battle to get to the point where MD schools will consider you. The question is whether you would be happy with pod ... or want to risk multiple years of more coursework and MCAT work for even a CHANCE to get into MD schools. Even DO schools are a distant goal with an MCAT anywhere near 19.

I say take the sure thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Go with podiatry if you think that's something you want to do. Otherwise, you have a lot of additional work to do to become a more competitive MD applicant. Out of curiosity, why did you apply with a 19?

Aye, go for the DPM. Pods have a pretty broad scope of practice.

Go with podiatry if you think that's something you want to do. Otherwise, you have a lot of additional work to do to become a more competitive MD applicant. Out of curiosity, why did you apply with a 19?

I second this question.

Also support the advice.

With that GPA and MCAT, podiatry all the way!

Just curious, which MD schools did you apply to?

Serious question: did you study for the MCAT?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
More serious question: why does your post history say you have a 32 on the MCAT?

Reactions: 16 users
Podiatry is a great gig, I plan to apply if I don't get in to a MD/DO program.

More serious question: why does your post history say you have a 32 on the MCAT?

Maybe they meant a practice exam?? Even then though, you'd have to blank pretty hard to go from 32 to 19 on the real thing...

Take that podiatry acceptance and run with it. Seriously.
I applied before knowing my MCAT score. I was getting in the high 20's and low 30's on the practice tests so i thought i may have a small chance somewhere.

I applied before knowing my MCAT score. I was getting in the high 20's and low 30's on the practice tests so i thought i may have a small chance somewhere.

Ah, that's too bad. The 3.0 GPA would have likely kept you out anyway though. Now you would need to contend with an entirely new MCAT in addition to raising your GPA substantially (SMP?).

To echo the comments of other posters, podiatry is a great gig, and you undoubtedly wouldn't have applied if you didn't want to do it. So congratulations on your acceptance and go get that DPM.

How did podiatry come about as a separate field? Like were orthopedists just not treating foot cases? lol

Ah, that's too bad. The 3.0 GPA would have likely kept you out anyway though. Now you would need to contend with an entirely new MCAT in addition to raising your GPA substantially (SMP?).

To echo the comments of other posters, podiatry is a great gig, and you undoubtedly wouldn't have applied if you didn't want to do it. So congratulations on your acceptance and go get that DPM.
Yep, even with a 35-40 on the MCAT a 3.0 will keep the average applicant out of any MD school.

Your title makes it sound like you are turning down an acceptance in hard to an MD for podiatry.

How did podiatry come about as a separate field? Like were orthopedists just not treating foot cases? lol

From my research pod has always been a separate organization and has never actually assimilated into general medicine. I think orthopedic surgery were already working on foot and ankle but only related to bone pathology. Podiatrists basically work anything foot and ankle (derm, trauma, ortho, vascular).

I'm fairly certain there are two pod schools (DMU, WesternU-COMP) that have a preclinical curriculum that's basically identical to the medicine curriculum.

Also, scope of practice varies across states meaning some states your limited to foot and ankle and some you can work below knee. I think there's one state that allows you to work on hand too which is a big "wat" IMO.

Reactions: 3 users
Do people actually apply with these stats? No offense to op.

I was always under the impression that the applicant pool was self-selected making it so competitive.

Yes, if you look at data posted by AAMC you'll see the distribution of applicants stats and acceptance rates here. Some people apply with a GPA <1.99 and an MCAT <14. Not many, but some people do it.

I thought you needed at least a 22-24 for pod school... Congrats on your acceptance though! I just took a tour of Barry and thought it was beautiful. My uncle is a podiatrist and makes 250k+ a year. He does very well and enjoys it because he gets to do some surgery! Good luck

I thought you needed at least a 22-24 for pod school... Congrats on your acceptance though! I just took a tour of Barry and thought it was beautiful. My uncle is a podiatrist and makes 250k+ a year. He does very well and enjoys it because he gets to do some surgery! Good luck

Nahh the average MCAT score for people accepted to pod school is about 22. Plenty of people with a MCAT score below 20 are accepted to pod school. Heck, even if you have a 17 or 18 on the MCAT and a 3.0 GPA, you have a decent chance of being accepted to pod school as long as you apply early to all 9 schools. The pod schools have a lot of seats to fill. Due to this low entry requirement, a lot of pod applicants start studying for the mcat a day or 2 before the test, hence the low scores.

With pod schools, just like Carib MD schools, the difficult part is not getting into the schools, it's staying in the schools and not dropping out.

Go for podiatry. Don't expect pod school to be a cakewalk though. Admissions is basically a freeroll, but get ready to bust your ass if you want graduate and secure a good residency.

If you want to become a physician and don't mind taking time to improve your grades and mcat then do that. If you don't want to then go podiatry

From my research pod has always been a separate organization and has never actually assimilated into general medicine. I think orthopedic surgery were already working on foot and ankle but only related to bone pathology. Podiatrists basically work anything foot and ankle (derm, trauma, ortho, vascular).

I'm fairly certain there are two pod schools (DMU, WesternU-COMP) that have a preclinical curriculum that's basically identical to the medicine curriculum.

Also, scope of practice varies across states meaning some states your limited to foot and ankle and some you can work below knee. I think there's one state that allows you to work on hand too which is a big "wat" IMO.
I think pods just went to the legislature asking if they could work on "arm feet" and they just confusedly agreed.

Reactions: 2 users