glancing at the Medscape report, high satisfaction for psychiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl2dp2

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/public

While the salary continues to be low, as expected, the overall job satisfaction for psychiatry is #2, right behind dermatology! Just thought I'd share. :p

Those cannot be accurate. 168K is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Why are they always so low in these stupid things? Its gotta be more like 200-250K. Right? RIGHT.

Salaries. Must. Increase... Salaries...must...increase...

Those cannot be accurate. 168K is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Why are they always so low in these stupid things? Its gotta be more like 200-250K. Right? RIGHT.

I think 180K is more the "national average", but as has been discussed many times salary varies wildly with location (high in Midwest, low in Northeast), and setting (community, vs. inpatient vs. academic vs. private practice).

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some pretty terrible numbers overall. Only 54% would chose medicine again and 41% would chose the same specialty.

Looks like only 25% of Internal Medicine docs would choose that specialty again. :scared: That doesn't surprise me much based on how overworked and unhappy the IM people were at the program that I rotated with in med school.
As jobs go, I think Psych is a pretty good job. There are times that it is tedious or stressful, but it can be pretty interesting at times. I can't think of any realistic job option that I would prefer doing.

Sounds a little low to me for an average, but 200-250 sounds a little high.