Goal of MSTP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicianScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is the goal of MD/PhD and MSTP programs to train physician scientists that run their own basic science research labs and translate their own discoveries into treatments OR is the goal to train physician scientists and translate other labs' discoveries into treatments? For example consider two (very simplified) scenarios:

Scenario 1: A lab discovers that compound X inhibits enzyme Y. The physician scientist's lab uses the first lab's discovery to make a treatment.

OR

Scenario 2: A physician scientists lab discovers that compound X inhibits enzyme Y and they proceed to also develop this discovery into a treatment.

Which of these scenarios do MSTP programs train physician-scientists to do?

Members don't see this ad.

All of the above... In general, scenario 2 is what we see as clinician-scientists because even those guys (scenario 1) discovering compound X inhibiting enzyme Y, most often were not involved in the discovery of X or Y (or their protein conformation) but only with the observation (physiological, signal transduction, etc) that X inhibited the activity of Y. Thus, you can argue that they are using building blocks of others. Nevertheless, I see your point that Scenario 2 is closer to translation to patients. Some of our graduates will still have to do the mechanistic exploration of why X inhibited Y in experimental models of disease (basic research & pre-clinical discovery), but some might actually be taking molecules to clinical trials (phase I - IV). Even few might then work in health care outcomes to assess the impact and barriers to prescribing X. Think for a second that X means "statins".... Here is the irony... the new class of molecules (statins) has improved the QOL of the later years of many NIH funded investigators who are now not retiring as quickly as prior generations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above...also if you are interested there is a book I recommend, titled "Medicine Science and Dreams-The Making of Physician-Scientists" by Scwartz. It's a very good read.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above...also if you are interested there is a book I recommend, titled "Medicine Science and Dreams-The Making of Physician-Scientists" by Scwartz. It's a very good read.

Second that book. Just note that it is pretty expensive, but I thought it was worth it in the end.

Reactions: 1 user
Both. Plus about 137 variations of each of those scenarios.

Basically anything that doesn't involve you going into a 100% non-academic clinical practice. Though nowadays the academic medical centers are opening and buying out so many satellite practices that even if you're 100% clinical you'll end up having some nonsense title at an academic medical center no matter what you do :borg:.

Reactions: 1 user