Going Back to Community College after University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altamont850

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My major is biochemistry and I've yet to finish any science courses. I'm considering going back to my local CC for a year so I can transfer to a better university (current university has some deep administrative issues and I'd rather attend my other local university but I cannot get in at present). The courses I would be taking at the CC are mostly prereqs but my major would require me to take some upper level science courses. If I went back to my CC, aced my science prereqs, and transferred to my other local university and continued to excel, would I be looked down upon? At my current university, I withdrew 2 semesters in a row because of personal issues but I don't want to appear as if I'm going back to CC as "an easy way out".

Another reason I want to do this is that the other university has far more opportunities for premedical students. What should I do?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya, no simple answers. I went back to cc after getting my BS and took allied health classes and spanish. In the mean time I took Ochem and Gchem and an UD Bio Lab as an open campus student (pay full price, but worth the experience and the higher pace/challenge). I have interviews/1acceptance with that history, but did not do any of my pre-reqs at CC. So going back does not count you out, pre-reqs are another story. . . .

In my recent interviews/shadowing I have met several CC students who are now med students and doctors. They did the normal LD at CC and then transfer for upper division at 4-year. That suggests that it will not count you out for going to CC. Yay!

Let's say you execute this plan and rock your CC classes, participate in different campus programs or help start up new projects, leaving a legacy at your campus. There are great opportunities at CC and not as many competitive pre-meds to compete with. Plus your efforts at a CC are often very relevant to the local community, developing your perspective and abilities as an individual heading for a profession that needs more sense of community. Then, you move on to that 4-year that you prefer and continue to rock your classes (cuz you are dedicated and focused and passionate), meeting new professors (for letters of rec and research opportunities) and fighting for access to the abundant shadow and volunteer programs that you expect to find here. By the time you apply you have great recommendations and experiences plus you have accomplished your goal of attending your university of choice. I can't imagine that an admissions member would ignore your successes and decide that switching universities was an issue. If your passion and performance is there, than your early years will be overshadowed.

Reality to keep in mind: A friend has discovered that some universities do not accept CC credits (which I think is BS and basically counts out a huge portion of the population, esp the "desirable" low-income minority). Anyways, she learned this be reading through MSAR school by school. I would take this into account and realize that this choice (like every choice) could exclude you from some schools. This makes sense because you are not meant to fit into every school, you should fit into the ones that reflect your goals/interests/attitudes. If your path takes you to CC then F-the schools that turn their noses to that. I believe that pursuing your goals will always take you to the right place.

Good luck!