Going the PA( Psych speciality) route to work in Psychiatry(Child?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Doctor Maybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have long been interested in medicine, but I don't think MD is the right track for me. Specifically, I would LOVE to go into psych, and I've been considering a PA with a psych fellowship.

Does anyone know anything about this track? Would it be difficult to find a job competing against an MD? Could I still open my own practice? It just seems like a quicker way to get to where I want to be. Considering I am already late into undergrad (I'm a business major) I'm looking to make up some time.Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think PA's do solo private practice psychiatry...let alone child psychiatry.

Looks like PA school is 2 years...1 year psych fellowship.

Med school 4 years...psych residency 4 years... CAP fellowship 2 years.

3 years versus 10 years... so to answer your other question -- yes it would be hard to compete for jobs with a psychiatrist (ignoring the whole issue of practicing safely). They are seperate careers besides the common backdrop of psychiatric conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
PAs don't really compete with MDs, and cannot open their own practices. By definition, a PA is a physician assistant and therefore requires the supervision of a physician. That being said, I'm sure you can easily find a job working in psychiatry, just not on your own.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You likely would be doing general psychiatry working with Physician oversight. You'd be an integral member with a lot of routine work.