Going to an overseas 6-year medical school right out of High School?

docpro123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to these forums and need insight on studying medicine abroad.
The pros seem to revolve around less time and less money, however, I would be wrong to assume there isn't a downside. I am currently interested in studying at Near East University in Cyprus which offers a 6 year MD program, however, I've heard near and far that my chances for residency back in the States are slim to none.
Is it truly worth the time and money? Or should I grind it out in the US all four years and perform well on the MCAT? Can someone provide some insight about going to medical school right out of high school overseas and the future implications it might bring? Anything is appreciated. Thank you all

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it. It's very hard to get a residency coming from overseas

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless you never want to practice in the US don't go

Reactions: 1 users
Are you a junior in high school? If so, look into 6 or 7 year BS/MD programs in the United States if you're really gung-ho with an accelerated plan.

Very difficult to get into a residency program equal to the caliber of your application when you are a international medical graduate.

This has been discussed recently in the pre-med forum. This is not the easy route, despite it seeming shorter. You will waste an inordinate amount of time jumping through regulations to be able to do residency in the US. After that, you will waste even more time fighting with the rest of the world for a US residency spot. This all surmises that you would want to return to this country someday.

Hello, I am new to these forums and need insight on studying medicine abroad.
The pros seem to revolve around less time and less money, however, I would be wrong to assume there isn't a downside. I am currently interested in studying at Near East University in Cyprus which offers a 6 year MD program, however, I've heard near and far that my chances for residency back in the States are slim to none.
Is it truly worth the time and money? Or should I grind it out in the US all four years and perform well on the MCAT? Can someone provide some insight about going to medical school right out of high school overseas and the future implications it might bring? Anything is appreciated. Thank you all

In short, this is a horrible idea. Horrible. For a more detailed explanation, I'm going to just link to my old posts, because this has been thoroughly discussed here before:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...n-us-research-practice.1121306/#post-16190568
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-in-india-or-in-the-us.1121839/#post-16206844

Search next time. Those threads are fairly recent.

This has been discussed recently in the pre-med forum. This is not the easy route, despite it seeming shorter. You will waste an inordinate amount of time jumping through regulations to be able to do residency in the US. After that, you will waste even more time fighting with the rest of the world for a US residency spot. This all surmises that you would want to return to this country someday.

As suggested, this usually ends up a much longer route because you'll end up losing time getting the necessary US externships/ clinical experience, and then, if you are lucky, probably match into 1-2 dead end prelims before you prove yourself and land something categorical -- and that's the best case scenario. More likely, like most US high school students who do med school in Cyprus you'll probably end up with the fulfilling career options of pizza delivery guy, waiter or uber car driver. maybe more than one of these.

The US residency system is very hard to break into coming from a Non-US school. So all non-US paths can be summed up into two categories, (1) bad idea, and (2) worse idea.

As suggested, this usually ends up a much longer route because you'll end up losing time getting the necessary US externships/ clinical experience, and then, if you are lucky, probably match into 1-2 dead end prelims before you prove yourself and land something categorical -- and that's the best case scenario. More likely, like most US high school students who do med school in Cyprus you'll probably end up with the fulfilling career options of pizza delivery guy, waiter or uber car driver. maybe more than one of these.

The US residency system is very hard to break into coming from a Non-US school. So all non-US paths can be summed up into two categories, (1) bad idea, and (2) worse idea.

Fo serious, I love this downright protectionism in our industry. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. :)