Going to the Military as a way towards Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSukhijawitz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking into going into medicine as a career change.

The standard way for non-trads seems to be going to a SMP or a Post Bacc, try to get all A's, then take the MCAT. And in your free time, do as many ECs as possible.

The thing is, debt just seems to get out of control for that alone.

Someone suggested that I could possible do all the Pre-Med/Post-Bac work while in the military. Since I already got my bachelors of science in Electrical Engineering, I know I could enter the military as an officer and not really have to see battle (which is not my plan).

Theoretically, I could try to do something medical related while in the military and (somehow) take the pre-med courses there too.

Has anyone here taken a route of serving in the military while getting your pre-meds done, getting your EC's in, and getting help paying your college bills? Whats it like? The goods, the bads, the uglies?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you're thinking of joining the military for all of the benefits, and none of the burdens, look elsewhere.

As someone in the service, you would have duties to fulfill, and they could preclude getting college courses done. It sounds like you'd be going in with school as priority over military, and if that's the case, you have no business in the military.

Speaking from experience: officers and enlisted alike are expected to give 100%, and you already sound like someone who would flake out.

I don't mean to sound this negative, but this sounds like a bad move, for you, and anyone who would be stuck working with you.

I have considered the military too for MD degree coverage and chose against it. Why?

You are a officer first and a student/doctor second. You need to want to be in the army for more than the money.

They also have complete control over you.

Just take out the loans like everyone else and pay them back. UNLESS you want to be a officer in the military.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recommend joining the military, just because you think you'll have a steady job and will be able to take classes at night. You will need military training in your specialty, so this would further delay med school. As soon as you finish your training, you will most likely be doing what we call in the Navy "sea duty." Unless you are medically disqualified from being deployed, expect to be deployed. We have two wars going on right now, so chances of being deployed are very high.

There are, of course, benifits from being in the military such as Tuition Assistance, where the the military will pay upto $750 per credit hour, and of course, you would get the GI Bill, which is amazing these days. But joining the military, in the long run, would delay you from going to medical school. Plus, you would be miserable being in the Armed Forces for the wrong reasons.

I recommend concentrating on doing your pre-med courses and getting financial aid or working part time, and if you don't feel like taking out a loan while in med school, consider the HPSP (Health Professional Scholarship Program). They will pay for your med school + books, and you would owe the military 4 years. I think this program for you would be much better than joining the military to pay for your pre-med. It could be different in the Air Force or the Reserves... I am writing from my Navy experience, which is of course, the better service :laugh:... Good luck!

The standard way for non-trads seems to be going to a SMP or a Post Bacc, try to get all A's, then take the MCAT. And in your free time, do as many ECs as possible.

Someone suggested that I could possible do all the Pre-Med/Post-Bac work while in the military. Since I already got my bachelors of science in Electrical Engineering, I know I could enter the military as an officer and not really have to see battle (which is not my plan).

Theoretically, I could try to do something medical related while in the military and (somehow) take the pre-med courses there too.

Has anyone here taken a route of serving in the military while getting your pre-meds done, getting your EC's in, and getting help paying your college bills? Whats it like? The goods, the bads, the uglies?

Thanks

Thanks

I applaud your willingness to serve. Please do. I would do so if the military would take geezers. My son is in the National Guard.

But if you are willing to serve in order to work your way through, then try this. Talk to the recruiters at the Army Healthcare portal. http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/hpsp.jsp . They will pay your way through medical school, give you a monthly stipend, and give you a 20,000 signing bonus on top of that.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to serve in the Army after med-school, you could join the National Guard now and go to undergrad school free plus get monthly stipends. Signing bonus again applies.

I applaud your willingness to serve. Please do. I would do so if the military would take geezers. My son is in the National Guard.

But if you are willing to serve in order to work your way through, then try this. Talk to the recruiters at the Army Healthcare portal. http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/hpsp.jsp . They will pay your way through medical school, give you a monthly stipend, and give you a 20,000 signing bonus on top of that.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to serve in the Army after med-school, you could join the National Guard now and go to undergrad school free plus get monthly stipends. Signing bonus again applies.

Read the threads on the milimed forum before considering any of these...joining for money is always a bad idea. There are a lot of cons to be considered before you seriously consider these options and the recruiter will not give you this information or will sugar coat it.

you are a member of the services first.
a person, second.
--- it's quiet stressful and specific training for the military lasts months at least.
it's not worth it for a stable job and money.
no flexibility either.

Thanks

Epic fail, junior officers are not guaranteed anything and foremost not being deployed. Likely with EE you will be a part of support personnel, which is a gigantic portion of the personnel deployed overseas. If you don't mind that, it'd be a great experience and definitely a plus for your app. But as other posters said, you will likely be unable to attend classes while in the military. If you have an opportunity, it will probably be online courses, which are not looked highly upon.

Glad to see folks are on top of the military issue. Now this part:

There is no "standard" and if there was one, it wouldn't be specific to nontrads. Postbacs are (generally) for completing med school prereqs and sometimes for improving undergrad GPA. SMPs are for salvaging a med school app that has everything BUT a good undergrad GPA.

If you've completed an undergrad degree and haven't completed the prereqs for med school, there are lots of ways to get them done. If your undergrad GPA is strong, you can do a structured formal postbac at a school that puts its students into killer med schools - and yes, this would be expensive. You can also go back to school full time anywhere, or take classes one at a time at night, or do a structured postbac for URMs. Tons of schools and strategies to choose from. If your undergrad GPA is weak, you have to also use your postbac to improve your cumulative undergrad GPA.

You have to complete the prereqs before an SMP. If your GPA is strong there's no reason whatsoever to do an SMP. If your GPA isn't strong, you'll need a great MCAT score to get into a good SMP. See the postbac forum (under interdisciplinary) for more info on these programs.

Best of luck to you.

I can only respond based on my own experience. I joined the military(navy) and besides bootcamp and "a" school(Corps School), ~7 months of initial training, I have committed myself 100% to pre-med studies since then. I went straight from corps school to a hospital(shore command) and have plenty of time to devote to school. I even go to school during the day, when my "working hours" are supposed to be from 0700-1600 daily m-f. My chain of command consists of md's and do's and they understand what it is that your going though, not to mention they are there to give me any advice I have. (One of my md's actually helped me with my physics homework once). Would I recommend you joining the military to go to med school? Yes, only if you don't plan on going to med school in the next 3-4 years. The process that I am on right now will take me 6-7 years total active duty to complete what I want to do, and fulfill my requirements. Not to mention, all the clinical experience that can be obtained. You can perform many types of invasive procedures and your doc will be standing over your shoulder just observing you. I have no certification (from a civilian perspective) and am working way outside of my scope of practice(vs what I could do as a civilian). What it boils down to is your own personal choice. The military option was best for me, and it has worked out very well for me, thus far. Others that came in the same time as me, started on the same path, are in many different places, including Iraq and Afghanistan. If I had to do it all over again, I definitely would.

I am considering joining the military because first I love my country and want to serve it, and second the benefits for my daughter and i. I may not get accepted due to age but it was free to apply so why not

this may be a slight tangent but I've got the impression that being in the military is one of the best "EC's" you can have on your app. At least from browsing MDApps, I've seen some people with very low numbers get in after having gone to Iraq/Afghanistan.

That being said, imagine how much you'd get laughed at if you joined the army and went to war only because you thought it would get you into med school. There's got to be another reason for signing up.

Also, I think most people in the army would probably advise you to take the quicker route and just take out loans.

If debt relief is really your issue, try to get a university job with tuition benefits. I worked at a university hospital doing patient care work. I got 10 credits (the equivalent of two lab classes like bio +lab or chem +lab, etc) every quarter.

Plus, there's debt relief options later on if you so choose like HPSP, NHSC, loan repayor programs, FAP, and just plain old prudent financial planning. And don't forget things like the IBR, ICR, and 10-year public service loan forgiveness program. (If these are mysteries --> google, google, google)

It's been said before, but I'll reiterate.
Join the military to serve, to support the men & women in uniform, or because you love military life. Don't join for debt management.

Thanks

A truly terrible idea.

You should be aware that your military obligation will be 8 years, whatever you do active minus 8 will be your reserve obligation where you will be on the IRR or Ready Reserve.

This is anecdotal, but of all my friends who served with me or I went to school with that went into the military, I can think of two that were in the IRR that were not involuntarily mobilized. I got involuntarily mobilized while in the middle of finals in Med School. Did the Army give a damn that I was in Med School? No.

So you could do your active duty time, and enter Medical School while finishing your reserve obligation, and get the FEDEX package of doom and be right back in uniform.

So it's a bad deal on your end.

It will also be a bad deal for your soldiers if you are in it for ulterior motives. Not to be "that guy", but seriously, as an officer you are going to be in charge of soldiers lives.

Finally, this comment:

Since I already got my bachelors of science in Electrical Engineering, I know I could enter the military as an officer and not really have to see battle (which is not my plan).

Indicates that you don't understand the culture or the nature of the modern battlefield.

Not to be hard on you, but BLUF, this is a serious decision that you obviously haven't thought through.

Finally, I disagree with the above poster that said "talk to a recruiter". A recuriter will just tell you what you want to hear.

A recuriter will just tell you what you want to hear.

Agreed. My recruiter forgot to tell me I was signing up for eight years instead of three, which is what he led me to believe. He didn't expect me to read the fine print when it came time to sign the contract. I said, "eight years?" He said, "oh, um,yeah, that's right."

Thanks

Dr. Midlife you knew I would end up chiming in here! Anyhow, I've lived the OP's "dream" so I will give my 2 cents. And I apologize for jumping in so late but being that I've lived this for the past 5 years I will throw my opinion in.

Doing all pre-med/post-bac work is not all that feasible...well to a degree. You may be able to do one or two courses at a time while living the life of a sailor, soldier or marine but what does that really show adcoms? I tried this, even took classes at a top-tier university with a special deal they afforded me because I was active duty Navy and you know what the response on this was? "That's nice but we want to see you continue to handle a full load of classes and if your work schedule does not permit then perhaps you should wait...unless of course you're taking them out of leisure." Now I took classes to sort of help when I took the MCAT on active duty and was able to explain that rationale with my decent score so they actually liked that part. But the MCAT on active duty was a life-ending process (meaning I didn't have one outside of work and MCAT).

Next...I cannot speak much for Army but Navy and Marine Officers generally tend to work pretty long hours (meaning 12-14 hour days) so again getting classes in is next to impossible unless you are able to get a desk job, but even then you won't be allowed to do full-time class work. On top of the fact that if you join the military you will do some sort of deployment unless you join the Coast Guard (and I can't speak on that for lack of knowledge...maybe they do?)...who do you think leads the troops/sailors?

My big point being...if you do decide to join and I'm not saying don't (I do think it's an honorable thing to do), you will in essence put your medical dreams on hold for X years...and from what I'm reading the IRR Army is pulling people left and right so that's another thought to add in there when you're done with active duty (Navy IRR isn't taking people like that, officer-wise, so that could be a bright side). My dreams since I graduated with my bachelors have been in limbo waiting to be revitalized.

Now for the good (since I gave the bad and ugly). You have a ridiculous amount of opportunities for EC's. It is on you to seek them out but military volunteering opportunities aren't hard to come by, shadowing is easy to find, leadership looks great and your resume can grow 4 pages long. So yes, the EC part of AMCAS will be full if you choose to but just like in undergrad it's on you to stand up take charge.

Debt...there are a lot of different programs, a few in the military and numerous by state if you're military to help reduce debt, education loans, etc. The military is a good way to reduce this but remember it comes with a big cost. The GI Bill is now open to officers, BUT you must serve 3 years past your commitment which for most is 4-5 years active. This isn't the case for enlisted (3 years total). Tuition Assistance (they pay for classes) is also great but Navy won't let you use it once you're within 2 years of the end of your obligation. Rules change for enlisted (again). If this is your primary concern it is easy to find out the rules for all of the branches and do a comparison of all the programs and find out if this is a deal maker. Also HPSP exists (but is not much easier to apply to if you're on active duty) along with USUHS as military sources of med school relief and education.

So I used ROTC to pay for UG degree. Served 4 years active officer in Navy. Took MCAT on active duty...good score. But wasn't able to maintain much of a course load when I was in the middle of the ocean. I approached 3 different adcom's and was told the same thing....use my time in to work on the EC's I can fit in my schedule in my off time. I was told by one that the Navy took care of my EC's (I'm not following that so much...but you get the idea) and to focus on school when I could handle a full load to take care of pre-req's/upper-level science courses. And here I am doing just that...hopefully only 1 year removed from the path Dr. Midlife has taken. Would I do it all over again...absolutely. I might tweak a few things but my path through the Navy has given me experiences that will make me a better physician and I can say with confidence that medicine is what I want to absolutely do with my life after being in a career-field that I loathed every day. I have several friends that did the straight shot route and they don't like being doctors...it happens.

Whatever you choose use your friends, family and even SDN as your sounding board and hopefully you will make the decision that is right for you.

Best wishes...

Hello everyone,

I have a question for those members in service pursuing medical school. I read your comments but I would like some clarification.

What is the biggest challenge? Is it not having time to take courses? Or living a military life? I'm saying that because my situation is unique. I'm a foreign trained dentist so I have knowledge of medical/dental material but I always wanted to be a MD. I also served two years in Iraq as civilian contractor (Arabic linguist) so military life doesn't really scare me. I'm 27 single with green card.

My question is for those in service, would it be time consuming for me to be in the military and do pre-med? Or it is doable? I wanna join the military because someday I want to be a medical officer so it's not only for debt relief or something like that.

Thanks guys!

Agreed. My recruiter forgot to tell me I was signing up for eight years instead of three, which is what he led me to believe. He didn't expect me to read the fine print when it came time to sign the contract. I said, "eight years?" He said, "oh, um,yeah, that's right."

Yeah, the always omit the IRR time. When I signed up, it wasn't an issue. No one on the IRR was recalled. That all changed after 9-11 when the DOD starting relying heavily on the IRR to meet mission (since they didn't have the numbers). I can think of only a few of my friends on the IRR that weren't recalled. It's a safe bet that, if you sign on for a 3-4 year active duty obligation as an officer, you are going to do more than that. To make matters worse, they will yank you out of medical school. The Army simply doesn't care about that (don't believe for a second that this is the Viet Nam era where you could get a deferment simply for being in college or graduate school).

As someone pointed out, it changes from branch to branch, you most likely won't be bothered in the Navy or Air Force. You most likely will in the Army or Marines.

Good for you for reading the fine print.

On a side note, the IRR policies have become more reasonable under SECDEF Gates as opposed to that ***** Rumsfeld.

I have considered the military too for MD degree coverage and chose against it. Why?

You are a officer first and a student/doctor second. You need to want to be in the army for more than the money.

They also have complete control over you.

Just take out the loans like everyone else and pay them back. UNLESS you want to be a officer in the military.

You can join after med school / during residency. Then they will still pay for your school.