Good D.O schools to apply to.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have to compile a list of D.O schools that I'm thinking of applying to. My #1 school is NYIT COM and Touro NY. I also have PCOM, LECOM, Campbell, Alabama, WV, New England, Kansas City, and LMU. I'm thinking about NJ but don't they heavily favor NJ residents? I want to be in NY or at the very least around it. MCAT aside, I have a 3.74 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, double major in biology and geology (minor in history), multiple ECs and research projects, top state school, NY resident. So what are good schools ?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have to compile a list of D.O schools that I'm thinking of applying to. My #1 school is NYIT COM and Touro NY. I also have PCOM, LECOM, Campbell, Alabama, WV, New England, Kansas City, and LMU. I'm thinking about NJ but don't they heavily favor NJ residents? I want to be in NY or at the very least around it. MCAT aside, I have a 3.74 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, double major in biology and geology (minor in history), multiple ECs and research projects, top state school, NY resident. So what are good schools ?

Your list seems pretty good if you want to stay up in that NY/PA/NJ area.

If you are looking a little further out of state I'd recommend DMU and MSU which are a couple states west.

Despite some hate that Touro-NY gets from its look, the school is a good institution that loves a good MCAT score so shoot for 29+ for that one.

What's your Mcat?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have to compile a list of D.O schools that I'm thinking of applying to. My #1 school is NYIT COM and Touro NY. I also have PCOM, LECOM, Campbell, Alabama, WV, New England, Kansas City, and LMU. I'm thinking about NJ but don't they heavily favor NJ residents? I want to be in NY or at the very least around it. MCAT Baside, I have a 3.74 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, double major in biology and geology (minor in history), multiple ECs and research projects, top state school, NY resident. So what are good schools ?
I would add CCOM and DMU

Anybody know about NJ?

Google is your friend.

Do you give preference to in-state applicants?

RowanSOM does give some preference to NJ residents, but out of state applicants are encouraged to apply. We accept competitive applicants from all over the country.

TCOM (if nothing but to save soooooo much money on tuition!)

Reactions: 1 user
You are going to get mixed reviews on your list as everyone's preference is different and what constitutes as "good" is different to all. For me, you couldn't pay me enough to set foot in NYC or anywhere close so your top choice would be my bottom choice on location alone. Be sure you know what YOU want, not what others want for you.

I feel like the MCAT is going to be the determining factor for everything.

Ding, ding. The difference between a 22 and a 30 is the difference between double digit interviews and one or two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the MCAT is going to be the determining factor for everything.
Medical school is all about multiple choice, standardized tests. You take test every week practically. If you are a poor test taker, aka low MCAT score, that's how you are gauged as to probabilty of success.

I would say apply to DMU. If you dont you will be missing out on a great school!

You're competitive for every school GPA wise. However, like others have mentioned that is only half the battle. To remain competitive or at least a chance at many of the schools above, you'll need a 26+ at the very least. With that said, don't aim for a 26. Aim for as high as possible and then worry about where you're applying. Good luck

Medical school is all about multiple choice, standardized tests. You take test every week practically. If you are a poor test taker, aka low MCAT score, that's how you are gauged as to probabilty of success.

Yea because you know standardize tests wil determine if you'll be a good doctor or not. Maybe that's why so many doctors can't communicate or emote.

Come back with an MCAT score and we'll help you compile a list. Until then you're essentially wasting your time.

Yea because you know standardize tests wil determine if you'll be a good doctor or not. Maybe that's why so many doctors can't communicate or emote.

Not saying I like how it is. I hate standardized tests. Just stating the facts. I have seen that the best test takers are generally the least personable. Of course there are exceptions to this.

Not saying I like how it is. I hate standardized tests. Just stating the facts. I have seen that the best test takers are generally the least personable. Of course there are exceptions to this.

They really are (not all of them though) a bunch of weirdoes who're obsessed with physics and chemistry.

Very one wants an MCAT score like it's the only thing. I HATE IT !!!

Yeah it sucks. God knows if there's anyone who hates the MCAT, it's this girl right here. But truth be told, although the MCAT isn't indicative of how good of a physician you'll be, it's there for a reason and your score either opens or closes doors. Without it, it's really hard to project your chances of getting into various schools. However, if your score winds up proportional to your current gpa (if that even makes sense), then you'll definitely have many options.

In my opinion, there's quite a few good schools out East. I'd look into Rowan-NJ, PCOM and LECOM-Erie. Look into NYCOM (you may get mixed reviews about this one, but I applied there). I haven't heard much about Touro-NY, so I can't offer my opinion but think it's worth checking out.

She didn't say that being a good doctor means being good at tests.

I'm just trying to help. Please don't sell the mcat short because it is going to be the most objective measurement you'll have on your application. There's no way around it ... it's huge. But your gpa is huge, and so are your EC's.

With that said, please get used to it. When you get to med school, Step 1 will literally be the only thing.

She didn't say that being a good doctor means being good at tests.

I'm just trying to help. Please don't sell the mcat short because it is going to be the most objective measurement you'll have on your application. There's no way around it ... it's huge. But your gpa is huge, and so are your EC's.

With that said, please get used to it. When you get to med school, Step 1 will literally be the only thing.
Yep, then there is Step II, Step II PE, Step III, then the Board Certification exam, then the Re-cert after that. The MCAT is only the beginning.

There was a resident at my program who was wicked at tests. She scored a 796 out of 800 on step III. PD totally loved her for that. However, I banned her from ever touching any of my patients during call shifts especially in ICU because she was scary dangerous and came close to killing multiple patients. Of course the PD wouldn't listen because of her near perfect test score. It sucks and there's not a whole lot that you can do about it except protect your patients when the time comes.

Last edited:
Yep, then there is Step II, Step II PE, Step III, then the Board Certification exam, then the Re-cert after that. The MCAT is only the beginning.

There was a resident at my program who was wicked at tests. She scored a 796 out of 800 on step III. PD totally loved her for that. However, I banned her from ever touching any of my patients during call shifts especially in ICU because she was scary dangerous and came close to killing multiple patients. Of course the PD wouldn't listen because of her near perfect test score. It sucks and there's not a whole lot that you can do about it expect protect your patient's when the time comes.

Totally agree in terms of not having to be a genius or good test taker to become an amazing doctor, no matter what specialty. I see more and more that the people who truly try their best and want to succeed no matter what, do and become successful... I wish I was a pure ace at taking exams, but I will take the success of treating patients and being respected in the field over an A+ any day.

There was a resident at my program who was wicked at tests. She scored a 796 out of 800 on step III. PD totally loved her for that. However, I banned her from ever touching any of my patients during call shifts especially in ICU because she was scary dangerous and came close to killing multiple patients. Of course the PD wouldn't listen because of her near perfect test score. It sucks and there's not a whole lot that you can do about it except protect your patients when the time comes.

Wow that's unbelievable

If you can kill the MCAT, you can add some allopathic schools in NY in the mix!

if you score a 23, you should be able to get in somewhere. that is what matters

Why do you advocate bad MCAT scores? If you wanna have the most stressful year of your life, by all means, study enough for a 23. This poster makes low 20s seem like comfortable scores, but they're not. Don't settle for anything less than a 26/27 and you should be fine.

Because getting a 23 versus a 27 versus a 33 makes a HUGE difference. It's a significant component of your application, like it or not.

Btw, if you need an extra reach opportunity to get back to the northeast, KCOM has 3rd/4th year rotation sites in New Jersey and... a couple of other states out that way whose names escape me right now.

From the threadstarter's post, an acceptance at a school that meets their preferences matters more than just any acceptance. Preferences are malleable, but still.

User3: Sees an acceptance on MDapps with a 23, tells people on SDN they are good to go.

Why do you advocate bad MCAT scores? If you wanna have the most stressful year of your life, by all means, study enough for a 23. This poster makes low 20s seem like comfortable scores, but they're not. Don't settle for anything less than a 26/27 and you should be fine.

I have to at least say I am shocked, on a continuous basis, at some of the scores of applicants that get in.

Case in point, over in WAMC I mistakenly replied to a poster that had a 3.46/3.47/24 and was looking for advice on schools to apply to. They only picked 9 schools with only 2-3 low tiers. I suggested they add more newer schools and that with most of their picks, their chances were low.

Guess what? They had already been accepted outright to one of their schools I labeled as "low possible" for them (NSU). The thread was old and I had not noticed a recent post in the thread saying they had gotten in.

If anything, I'm not optimistic enough when I gauge others' chances.

You're just cherry picking anecdotes to serve your point. These are rare instances that serve as an exception, not the rule. Optimism is good, but not when people are investing thousands of dollars on a long reach. The med school application should be an investment, not a gamble, and you're giving people a false hope with their money.

Reactions: 2 users
I think its good to have a positive attitude and spread optimism...but shouldn't we encourage the applicant to do their best...I don't think we should set the bar for them so low..plus I'm pretty sure if every applicant had a choice most of them would rather go to a well-established or reputable school than a newly opened school that has lower acceptance criteria..as future medical students the desire to strive for the best and not just settle for the minimum should be innate

Reactions: 1 users
I think its good to have a positive attitude and spread optimism...but shouldn't we encourage the applicant to do their best...I don't think we should set the bar for them so low..plus I'm pretty sure if every applicant had a choice most of them would rather go to a well-established or reputable school than a newly opened school that has lower acceptance criteria..as future medical students the desire to strive for the best and not just settle for the minimum should be innate
Until someone just convinces them it doesn't matter where they go and that they will be doctors anyway.

Go where you get in. Apply Broadly. Once you get some options, then you can get picky.