Good Large/Food Animal Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rural-jersey-girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an animal science student and my aspiration is to be a large or food animal veterinarian. I'm wondering if you guys have recommendations on which vet schools have strong large/food animal programs. I'm not interested in schools with strong equine programs but have a lacking food animal program. Which schools have high food animal case loads or give students a lot of access to food animals? Which schools would you recommend?
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

From those that I've personally visited, I would suggest Iowa State, Illinois, and Wisconsin.
If New Jersey is the state you're from, based on your username, you could see what schools offer contract seats for New Jersey residents.

If New Jersey is the state you're from, based on your username, you could see what schools offer contract seats for New Jersey residents.

None :(

I think Ohio would be a good fit for you. Lots of FA opportunities here!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking into the same things. I'm going Michigan State in the fall. I'm not sure about their FA case load, but I know they are one of the top dairy states in the country, so there will be lots of opportunities for me there.

Illinois has a couple of teaching farms on campus and seemed to have a good FA program. I would also recommend Iowa - they have a brand new LA hospital and I think they are the biggest swine state in the country. I also know California (so UC Davis and Western), Florida (UF) and NY (Cornell) are big dairy states if dairy is one of your interests!

It kind of depends what specifically in food animal you're interested in...for example, I imagine NC State and Iowa have great swine programs, Wisconsin and Minnesota have good dairy programs, Iowa and KSU have good beef programs, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an animal science student and my aspiration is to be a large or food animal veterinarian. I'm wondering if you guys have recommendations on which vet schools have strong large/food animal programs. I'm not interested in schools with strong equine programs but have a lacking food animal program. Which schools have high food animal case loads or give students a lot of access to food animals? Which schools would you recommend?
Thanks for your help!

Can I just say thank you(!!) for posting about something other than getting accepted/rejected/or waitlisted this cycle. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now, on to your question. Here's a really good list that has a description of the food animal programs at the different vet schools. It's a couple years old, but still good place to start http://www.aavmc.org/foodanimalprograms.aspx

It kind of depends what specifically in food animal you're interested in...for example, I imagine NC State and Iowa have great swine programs, Wisconsin and Minnesota have good dairy programs, Iowa and KSU have good beef programs, etc.

I looovvveeee our poultry faculty at NC state, too - they're all really fun people who know their stuff.

When I've talked to students from other schools, I feel like we get quite a bit of hands-on food animal time, comparatively. Having a small teaching farm behind the school definitely helps!

Last edited:
Thank you guys this has been so helpful! I'd love to hear from more people too!

Illinois has a couple of teaching farms on campus and seemed to have a good FA program. I would also recommend Iowa - they have a brand new LA hospital and I think they are the biggest swine state in the country. I also know California (so UC Davis and Western), Florida (UF) and NY (Cornell) are big dairy states if dairy is one of your interests!
According to our FA faculty, California is THE dairy state. UCD is closer to most of the dairy farms than WesternU, but I don't know much about their program.

According to our FA faculty, California is THE dairy state. UCD is closer to most of the dairy farms than WesternU, but I don't know much about their program.

I'm from the Central Valley of California and about 2 hours south of UCD. California really is THE dairy state. My hometown (claims) to have the largest concentration of jersey cows in the world. And a lot of dairy farmers from my area are leaders in the jersey cow industry (AJCA) and stuff. So I'm a little bit biased when I saw UCD has a leading FA medicine program.

It really does depend on what you're specifically interested in (beef, dairy, etc). Whatever the state's big output is, is likely their strong point in terms of LA.

Although I gotta say, from my interview at Illinois I was deeply unimpressed and don't feel as though they have a significant focus on LA at all. Then again, it was like a 30 minute tour with the other 300+ interviewees so what I saw may not have been representative

Went to OK and right into mixed practice after graduation. I dont know how the caseload numbers compare to other schools, but you can get a ton of good, hands on. experience. Mostly beef/rodeo stock, but pretty good numbers of small rums and camelids, some dairy, some swine. I now do a lot of dairy and small ruminant work, but have a few beef and swine clients- overall, I went into practice feelinf pretty dang confident on the routine FA stuff,

There are a bunch of wetlabs about everything from castrations to dehorning, cosmetic dehorns, casting, digit amputation, therio classes (hands on breeding, palp, collection, plus dystocia management/fetotomy labs), techniques classes (epidurals, locals, c sections, ex laps, DA's, plus basics like catheters, orogastric tubes). The school has its own herd of cows at the therio ranch so a lot gets practiced on those gals. In the advanced food animal elective my friend and I did a c-section with a resident supervising- about as hands on (in?) as it gets! There was a short summer elective that takes you around to a bunch of dairies, swine facilities and processing plants in the area. Therio elective has you palpating a couple afternoons a week. For fourth year, I spent about ten weeks off campus with mixed or large animal vets.

Only thing so far in practice that I wish I had actually gotten to practice in school is prolapses. learned theory but never got to actually do one!

Our poultry guys are fantastic (love them), beef and small ruminant are great, too. All of our FA people are accomplished, but those three groups happen to be my favorites. There's a pretty hefty swine program here at State as well. If you want to do FA, there's a decent caseload at NCSU.