Good letters. Bad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hchang9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with a humanities degree with a 3.0gpa. I'm currently in the Harvard post bac program but it seems like I keep getting Bs on every single exam. I'm afraid my 3.0gpa will stay put as is. Having said that, my experience is great. I was an air force medic for 6 years and I've moved on to the air force reserves since then and had many great experiences. I can get letters from 2 superiors of mine who are current Yale medical school faculty members and my former commander who is a current UC San Francisco medical school faculty member. If the letters are written well, do you think their influence will be powerful enough to get me into a decent medical school? I'm thinking it would help a lot, but maybe I'm getting my hopes up way too high. And let's just say that I get a 30 on my MCAT. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

All medical schools, MD and DO, are decent in my eyes. Explain what the word means to you please.

I guess I would have to say MD programs then.

With a 3.0cGPA/30, past applicants had a ~20% chance of an MD acceptance. Your low BCPM is unlikely to moderate that number upward, though your past military service and experience might. I don't think that powerful letters are likely to make a huge difference when your academic record does not show a recent steep upward trend to demonstrate strong potential. Your numbers give you a better shot at a DO acceptance, so I'm glad to see you plan to include some on your list.