Good prep classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpottyGlassware

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be studying for the MCAT next semester and I feel like I'll need to take some kind of class to hold myself accountable. Any recommendations? (What company, online vs in-person, etc.) I'll be taking fewer course hours in the fall to give myself time to prepare well and hopefully take the January 2017 test.

Members don't see this ad.

My $.02 on the Kaplan online course-- They basically map out what they recommend for you to do before each class based on your diagnostic exam which will help you to stay on task; HOWEVER, their expectations can be a little ridiculous if you're involved in anything outside of MCAT studying, so you may find yourself simply trying to get through the material as opposed to actually learning it. The classes are about 3 hours long and twice a week, so I often found myself patting myself on the back for getting everything done but not actively learning. The Kaplan MCAT channel is AWESOME: They go over high yield material in detail and these are either live (on specific dates at specific times) or pre-recorded w/out the ability to interactively participate or have questions answered by the off screen instructors. In hindsight, I wish that I hadn't spent the $2000 for the class. You're eventually recommended to do a FL per week, and I feel the teachers and class don't put enough emphasis on practice questions early on as these tests are brutal and disheartening. If you take the class, be sure to supplement everything with practice questions. PM me if you have any other specific questions. Good luck!

Save yourself the 2000 dollars and self study. With that 2000 dollars you can buy all the AAMC material, one book set to study from, and a few practice tests, and still have ~$1500 dollars extra. If its a motivation problem, just remember to tell yourself every morning that this test basically decides the rest of your life. That should help.

Reactions: 1 user
Wasted money on Kaplan prep course. Got a tutor (med student $60/class), and good practice materials. Doing much better now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IMO and based on what I've read, the general consensus on SDN is to not buy a prep course. Go on the 509+ forum and you'll find few people who used one. If they did, they used it to SUPPLEMENT, not as their main study tool. Although this could be due to the fact that "prep class" is a pretty boring "how you did it" response.

buy the online self-paced Kaplan and spend the rest of the left over money from the traditional 2000 you would have spent on a private tutor. Easy.

If you are weak in CARS, the one class I would recommend is Jack Westin's class. He gives you a brilliant set of tools to work with and stays in touch with you after the class to give you tips on the personal statement, application, etc.