Good Reads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTorkashvand

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've recently been very interested in finding some good medical/clinical books to read. I think this will help me stay motivated and introduce me to different concepts, but don't really know where to look. If you have any suggestions of books you've heard are good, or personally enjoyed, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Atul Gawande - all three books
Robert Whittaker - ANatomy of an Epidemic
Otis Brawley - How we do harm
Overdiagnosed (or 'Overdiagnosis') forget the name of the author
How Doctors Think
Emperor of Maladies - Mukherjee

all above are good and many have won awards

Reactions: 4 users
Definitely Jerome Groopman's How Doctors Think and Atul Gawande's Complications. Absolutely brilliant books IMHO.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oliver Sacks' books are fun - The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat is what first got me interested in neurology way back when :) I second the Gawande books as well. The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman is a really worthwhile read (and definitely a different perspective).

The House of God by Samuel Shem. Should be required reading for all pre-meds. It won't motivate you though.

Reactions: 4 users
Atul Gawande for sure, great writer.

The Hot Zone is great if you are interested in public health. It's written like a thriller and filled with some great history of infectious diseases. You will also adopt a mortal fear Ebola, rightfully, if you haven't already

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a fascinating story about the ethically dubious origin of HeLa cells. If you've ever worked in a bio lab you're probably familiar with them but the person behind the cell (and her family) are far more interesting, in my opinion. More medical/science history and an interesting look at the then long-standing distrust between Johns Hopkins (and clinical medicine in general) and the African American community in Baltimore.

I know it's not a book but if you haven't checked out the medical blog Agraphia then you are missing out on some great stories about being an ER resident at an urban trauma center and then being s community attending. Also there's some shenanigans about life in medical school from a long, long time ago but it's not as interesting.

I believe there have been several threads like this one, so you may want to find and peruse those for more ideas. Happy reading nerds! :bookworm:

The House of God by Samuel Shem. Should be required reading for all pre-meds. It won't motivate you though.
I've read this far too many times. A terrific read.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a couple of interesting books recommended to me by applicants who were interviewed in 2009:

Death Foretold by Nicholas A. Christakis (about making and communicating prognosis)

Knife Man by Wendy Moore (about John Hunter, eighteenth century British surgeon-scientist-- you can check out the table of contents on Amazon and you may be hooked!])

For a previous thread on books some of us have enjoyed, see: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=293681

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, thank you all for the great responds. I've actually heard of house of god but never looked into what it was about. I'll make a list and try to tackle all of these suggestions in the summer.

The DOs by Norman Gevitz is very good . Especially for dispelling many of the myths surrounding DOs.

Members don't see this ad :)
The DOs by Norman Gevitz is very good . Especially for dispelling many of the myths surrounding DOs.

A really good sequel called DOtryreallyhardnottogotheres by sdn about Carribean Medical Schools

House of God, to me, seems more appropriate to read once you've had some exposure to the daily workflows and attitudes in clinical settings.

Can anyone give me an introduction on what house of god entails?

1. GOMERS DON'T DIE.
  2. GOMERS GO TO GROUND
  3. AT A CARDIAC ARREST, THE FIRST PROCEDURE IS TO TAKE YOUR OWN PULSE.
  4. THE PATIENT IS THE ONE WITH THE DISEASE.
  5. PLACEMENT COMES FIRST.
  6. THERE IS NO BODY CAVITY THAT CANNOT BE REACHED WITH A #14G NEEDLE AND A GOOD STRONG ARM.
  7. AGE + BUN = LASIX DOSE.
  8. THEY CAN ALWAYS HURT YOU MORE.
  9. THE ONLY GOOD ADMISSION IS A DEAD ADMISSION.
  10. IF YOU DON'T TAKE A TEMPERATURE, YOU CAN'T FIND A FEVER.
  11. SHOW ME A BMS (Best Medical Student, a student at the Best Medical School) WHO ONLY TRIPLES MY WORK AND I WILL KISS HIS FEET.
  12. IF THE RADIOLOGY RESIDENT AND THE MEDICAL STUDENT BOTH SEE A LESION ON THE CHEST X-RAY, THERE CAN BE NO LESION THERE.
  13. THE DELIVERY OF GOOD MEDICAL CARE IS TO DO AS MUCH NOTHING AS POSSIBLE.
That about sums it up, right guys?

Group of first year trainees (called interns then, now called first year residents or PGY1 (post graduate year 1)) are trained by a senior resident. They learn the lessons you learn from real life experiences; they become jaded and even burnt out. The characters in the book are disrespectful of patients (some attendings I've known will take you apart if you call an elderly patient a GOMER*.) They are cynical about the motivations of some of the attending physicians and their billing practices. The book pretty much takes place over the course of that one year of training.

*GOMER stands for Get Out of My Emergency Room

Last edited:
The Anatomy of Hope by Jerome Groopman. It's a very quick read that beautifully illustrates the emotional aspect of medicine from patients' POV.

Anything by Roy Porter I find interesting. Currently rereading The Greatest Benefit to Mankind: A Medical History of Humanity, its a bit long but retraces humanity's foray into science and medicine from its earliest beginning.... if you're into that kind of stuff

Also, I never put down :
1. Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs - Michael Collins
2. Hot Lights, Cold Steel - Michael Collins

#2 was such an inspiration I actually figured out a way to shadow him in clinic for a day when I was a med student.

1. THE ONLY GOOD ADMISSION IS A DEAD ADMISSION.

Oh, I need to remember that so I can tell my co-workers! That's actually true! All admissions bring some kind of trouble :eek:
That book is on my reading list now :)

Extreme Medicine: How Exploration Transformed Medicine in the Twentieth Century by Kevin Fong MD. Read it over spring break. Very cool stuff.

Also, I never put down :

#2 was such an inspiration I actually figured out a way to shadow him in clinic for a day when I was a med student.

Agreed! I couldn't put down Hot Lights, Cold Steel. Highly recommend it, especially if you are interested in any type of surg.

Also, I never put down :

Hot lights, cold steel was fantastic. I was expecting a lot from blue collar, blue scrubs after his other book and it was a major letdown IMO.

House of God and Atul Gawande's books are the same thing. #1 rule I learned is
  1. THE DELIVERY OF GOOD MEDICAL CARE IS TO DO AS MUCH NOTHING AS POSSIBLE.
"Complications" shockingly supported almost everything from House of God. Defensive medicine, burnout, insecurity, experimentation on patients, lawsuits, "TURFING", ordering unnecessary tests and procedures etc. Of course House of God has to be taken with a grain of salt but the parallels are clear. I quoted two parts from both books that are almost exactly the same. Can barely tell them apart.

"I placed the supplies on a bedside table, untied the patient’s gown behind his neck, and laid him down. S. arrived. “What’s his platelet count?”My stomach knotted. I hadn’t checked. That was bad: too low and he could have a serious bleed from the procedure. She went to check a computer. The count was acceptable.Chastened, I started swabbing his chest with the sponge-sticks. “Got the shoulder roll underneath him?” S. asked. Well, no. I had forgotten this, too. The patient gave me a look. S., saying nothing, got a towel, rolled it up, and slipped it under his back for me. I finished applying the antiseptic and then draped him so only his right upper chest was exposed. He squirmed a bit beneath the drapes. S. now inspected my tray. I girded myself."

"Given the stress of the dementia work-up, every organ system crumpled: in a domino progression the injection of radioactive dye for her brain scan shut down her kidneys, and the dye study of her kidneys overloaded her heart, and the medication for her heart made her vomit, which altered her electrolyte balance in a life-threatening way, which increased her dementia and shut down her bowel,which made her eligible for the bowel run, the clean out for which dehydrated her and really shut down her tormented kidneys, which led to infection, the need for dialysis, and big-time complications of these big-time diseases. She and I both became exhausted, and she became very sick."

*From the American College of Physicians*

http://www.acphospitalist.org/archives/2008/10/book.htm

Laws of The House of God

The original rules of engagement and their meanings, with updated explanations:

#1. GOMERs don’t die.

Original meaning: The patients who seem the most hopeless—who return to the ER again and again—are the ones who are repeatedly admitted to the inpatient service, with little chance for improvement.

Update: On its own, the human body can withstand a broad range of disease and destruction, but with the right cocktail of medications, oxygen and nutrition, life can be sustained beyond all reason. The American population is aging, and the system may not be ready for them. Palliative care can save many from needless suffering.

#2. GOMERs go to ground.

Original meaning: There are two heights from which patients can fall: the orthopedic and the neurosurgical height. Either way, it leads to a “turf.”

Update: Falls in the elderly, both in and out of the hospital, are dangerous and common. The problem is not just the bed set to the “orthopedic height”; it’s the medications and lighting and urine-splattered floors and delirium. Admission for pneumonia is bad; admission for pneumonia complicated by a femur fracture is worse.

#3. At a cardiac arrest, the first procedure is to take your own pulse.

Original meaning: Don’t panic!

Update: Don’t panic!

#4. The patient is the one with the disease.

Original meaning: Yes, you’re going to die someday. Get over it, and go treat your patients.

Update: Don’t go too far in distancing yourself from the patient that you forget the patient is a person. One should try to keep a healthy perspective. When I’m a patient, I’d rather not be “the hip fracture with the UTI in 219a;” I’d prefer to maintain my own identity.

#5. Placement comes first.

Original meaning: The absolute first question should be: “How am I going to turf this patient?”

Update: When a patient gets admitted and it looks like he or she may need nursing home placement or another supportive environment, don’t wait until Friday afternoon to start the process. Don’t forget you need a three-day admit for the Medicare benefits to kick in.

#6. There is no body cavity that cannot be reached with a #14 needle and a good strong arm.

Original meaning: Don’t be afraid to go for a biopsy.

Update: The interventional radiologist is your friend. From diagnostic tap to therapeutic decompression, imaged needle placement beats the blind poke.

#7. Age + BUN= Lasix dose.

Original meaning: Simple memory tricks make decision-making easy.

Update: There is no shortage of peerreviewed, evidence-based, medical society-sponsored, comprehensive algorithms, some of which are actually quite good. Others lead us into a Kafka-esque labyrinth of arrows, text boxes and cross references from which we may never escape.

#8. They can always hurt you more.

Original meaning: They—that is, the patients—can always cause you more grief than they already have, so count your blessings.

Update: “They” can also include administrators, The Joint Commission, your insurance carrier, your patients’ family and students. They will only hurt you if you let them, so keep your chin up and your head on straight.

#9. The only good admission is a dead admission.

Original meaning: A very cynical statement about being overworked.

Update: I have had a few dead admissions. They were alive when they left the emergency room, but something happened along the way. Other times, they arrived in their rooms and took a fast trip to the ICU. On the other hand, some arrived ready to leave—same-day admit and discharge. The ideal admit is probably somewhere between these poles.

#10. If you don’t take a temperature, you can’t find a fever.

Original meaning: Don’t go looking for problems.

Update: If the consulting service comes by and tells you to get a “ceruloquat 1103a dimer level,” don’t forget to order the mixing assay. And if you don’t know what a test means, you probably should not order it.

#11. Show me a student from the “best medical school” (BMS) who only triples my work and I will kiss his feet.

Original meaning: Hard-working, eager medical students are a blessing and a curse.

Update: Foot-kissing is out, since it is definitely not politically correct to perform pedal osculation on your sub-I. In his speech entitled “The Hospital as College,” Osler said that students keep us sharp and up-to-date. With modern electronic record systems, there is only so much scut you can get them to do, and certainly not enough to bring them up to the level of “monkey.”

#12. If the radiology resident and the BMS both see a lesion on the chest X-ray, there can be no lesion there.

Original meaning: Beware the zealotry of newly minted residents and BMS’s.

Update: Students hear too many S4s and not enough consultants. If a heart murmurs in a forest and nobody hears it, did you order an echo? Wait for the final report and review the film yourself.

#13. The delivery of medical care is to do as much nothing as possible.

Original meaning: Primum non nocere. Do no harm.

Update: Primum non nocere sans documentum. Do no harm without proper documentation.

Do keep in mind that it was published more than 30 years ago... the health care and reimbursement system has changed quite a bit. It is very black satire but some of it still rings true:
http://blog.mdlindquist.com/wordpress-3.0.1/wordpress/?p=222
"Given that I don’t know for sure who is reading this, I’ll say “false.”

Actually laughed out loud at this one.

Additionally: How to Win Friends and Influence People. A very interesting read.

Five Patients by Michael Crichton. A bit dated (from 1970) but still relevant today. A good insight into healthcare trends and hospital culture.

House of God and Atul Gawande's books are the same thing. #1 rule I learned is
  1. THE DELIVERY OF GOOD MEDICAL CARE IS TO DO AS MUCH NOTHING AS POSSIBLE.
"Complications" shockingly supported almost everything from House of God. Defensive medicine, burnout, insecurity, experimentation on patients, lawsuits, "TURFING", ordering unnecessary tests and procedures etc. Of course House of God has to be taken with a grain of salt but the parallels are clear. I quoted two parts from both books that are almost exactly the same. Can barely tell them apart.

"I placed the supplies on a bedside table, untied the patient’s gown behind his neck, and laid him down. S. arrived. “What’s his platelet count?”My stomach knotted. I hadn’t checked. That was bad: too low and he could have a serious bleed from the procedure. She went to check a computer. The count was acceptable.Chastened, I started swabbing his chest with the sponge-sticks. “Got the shoulder roll underneath him?” S. asked. Well, no. I had forgotten this, too. The patient gave me a look. S., saying nothing, got a towel, rolled it up, and slipped it under his back for me. I finished applying the antiseptic and then draped him so only his right upper chest was exposed. He squirmed a bit beneath the drapes. S. now inspected my tray. I girded myself."

"Given the stress of the dementia work-up, every organ system crumpled: in a domino progression the injection of radioactive dye for her brain scan shut down her kidneys, and the dye study of her kidneys overloaded her heart, and the medication for her heart made her vomit, which altered her electrolyte balance in a life-threatening way, which increased her dementia and shut down her bowel,which made her eligible for the bowel run, the clean out for which dehydrated her and really shut down her tormented kidneys, which led to infection, the need for dialysis, and big-time complications of these big-time diseases. She and I both became exhausted, and she became very sick."

One thing I didn't like about these books is that they came off as pretentious, as if everyone was heavily invested in the healthcare system and written purely by academics for academics. There's no trace of humility or humanity in them, and it seems as though are more geared towards practicing physicians.

From a literary standpoint they're very bland.

Also, I never put down :

Was he awesome?

P.S. thats a whole lot of kids

I liked "Genius on the edge" the biography about the father of modern surgery

"Trauma: My life as an Emergency Surgeon" was awesome too, the guy is B@d@$$, and its fun to hear his breakdown for certain trauma procedures

One thing I didn't like about these books is that they came off as pretentious, as if everyone was heavily invested in the healthcare system and written purely by academics for academics. There's no trace of humility or humanity in them, and it seems as though are more geared towards practicing physicians.

From a literary standpoint they're very bland.

What were you reading man?

Dr. Sanders had been dying a long time. Bald and infected, quiet and cachectic, he was getting his life inorder. We were friends. He was dying with a calm strength, as if his dying were part of his life. I was beginning to love him. I began to avoid going into his room."I understand," he said, "it's the hardest thing we ever do, to be a doctor for the dying."Talking about medicine, I told him with bitterness about my growing cynicism about what I could do, and he said, "No, we don't cure. I never bought that either. I went through the same cynicism - all that training, and then this helplessness. And yet, in spite of all our doubt, we can give something. Not cure,no. What sustains us is when we find a way to be compassionate, to love. And the most loving thing wedo is to be with a patient, like you are being with me."

What were you reading man?

Dr. Sanders had been dying a long time. Bald and infected, quiet and cachectic, he was getting his life inorder. We were friends. He was dying with a calm strength, as if his dying were part of his life. I was beginning to love him. I began to avoid going into his room."I understand," he said, "it's the hardest thing we ever do, to be a doctor for the dying."Talking about medicine, I told him with bitterness about my growing cynicism about what I could do, and he said, "No, we don't cure. I never bought that either. I went through the same cynicism - all that training, and then this helplessness. And yet, in spite of all our doubt, we can give something. Not cure,no. What sustains us is when we find a way to be compassionate, to love. And the most loving thing wedo is to be with a patient, like you are being with me."
That reads like a daytime soap.

But I digress. You know what they say; different strokes for different size pokes.

If you want a human insight into medicine check out Melvin Konner's Becoming a Doctor. You can tell it's real because a lot of people are offended by it.

Complications by gawande bored me to tears. I'm told better is good though.

In stitches Anthony youn
This won't hurt a bit
Everything I learned in med school
When the air hits your brain.
On call
Emperor of all maladies.
Blue collar blue scrubs
Hot lights cold steel

Currently reading "something for the pain" about EM and it's awesome. I've read all the aforementioned, with hot lights cold steel being the best one by far. I wish there were more medical memoirs out there.

If you want a human insight into medicine check out Melvin Konner's Becoming a Doctor. You can tell it's real because a lot of people are offended by it.
Alright will do

Anything Paul Farmer, or the Tracy Kidder book Mountain Beyond Mountains.

These have been mentioned but are also good if not great:

How We Die by Sherwin Nuland
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
Final Exam: A Surgeon's Reflections on Mortality by Pauline Chen
Better by Atul Gawande

Gawande is a bit of a boring writer but he has great ideas.

Last edited: