Good review books for Hospital Staffing job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm1324

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New grad, will start soon in a community hospital staffing position. I am feeling overwhelmed by the amount of drug info needed to know to be able to practice in the hospital. Can anybody recommend a good book or resource that will prepare me to start in a staff RPh role? I used RxPrep for the NAPLEX, and that did not cover hospital pharmacy at all. I am looking for something more in depth, filled with practically useful information for being a hospital pharmacist. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT!!!

Members don't see this ad.

From my two years of experience, I don't have a specific book to recommend you. Many things that you would need to know are hospital and protocol specific. I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with whatever drug information sources your hospital subscribes to. I always had an internet browser up with three windows open: clinical pharmacology (our di source), global rph (has great information on iv dilutions if these are not automatically coded in), and google (to search for randomness that you will encounter). I hope this was of help.

Intravenous Medications by Gahart and Nazareno

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I don't have any good suggestions either. Every hospital has their own protocols & their own formularies (usually fairly limited), and you won't know what those are until you start your job. Then your task will be to learn those.

Usually the hospital will have their own protocol and whatnot. Lexi-Comp, Micro-Medex are your friends.

You can use GlobalRPh and Google and Wikipedia also but watch out for the ****ing ******ed academics who will call you out on this if they see you do it.

Well lucky for me I won a Merck Manual at graduation so I use that from time to time. Just to research things that I may not have known or wasn't very familiar with. Otherwise, UptoDate and Micromedex are the staple drug info sources at my hospital. Also, like the others said, hospital protocols are helpful as well.