Good rotations for FM as a 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oo Cipher oO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year DO student planning out my 4th year electives. I already have my audition rotations and my required Sub-Is set. What would be some good electives for a future FM doc? I have been thinking dermatology and urology might be a good idea. What other electives would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Derm and ortho are great ideas. I would also consider rheum, addiction med, psych, or neurology. Really it depends on your school. Its best to challenge yourself and take on notoriously tough electives that are known to be quality at your institution. I would avoid easy, non-quality, or "favorite" electives. You will always become stronger in areas that you are interested in. The time available for training is shorter than you imagine and it is best to take advantage of this time to bone up on areas that you may not get much exposure to later.

Reactions: 1 user
GI, Hepatology, Derm, Neuro, Nephrology, Radiology, Ortho clinic (not OR), Surgery clinic (not OR), Gen surge who does bypass, lap band - take the lap band class so you know how to fill/empty one if you need to. See what they go through so you can explain to patients that it's more than just doing the surgery, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just wrapped up a Derm elective and it was excellent. I also learned a lot in Palliative Medicine, Nephrology, and even Plastic Surgery (clinic).

Critical care /ICU will really help you if you end up at an inpatient -heavy FM residency like mine. I did not have an ICU med school rotation and wish I did. Just to be familiar with vent settings and correcting electrolyte derangements would have really helped. I'm in my 4th medicine month (we have 5 intern year) and finally more comfortable with this stuff but it was a very steep learning curve!

Critical care /ICU will really help you if you end up at an inpatient -heavy FM residency like mine. I did not have an ICU med school rotation and wish I did. Just to be familiar with vent settings and correcting electrolyte derangements would have really helped. I'm in my 4th medicine month (we have 5 intern year) and finally more comfortable with this stuff but it was a very steep learning curve!

Totally agree. Not in residency yet, but I'm very happy I've done two ICU months during med school. Also, I have done a PMR/Spine month that I think will be really useful.

Derm and.ortho were great...i feel it gave me a leg up on aspects of my clinic...and I enjoyed them. Id do whatever interests you...youll figure stuff out in residency so dont stress getting.in heavy rotations...have fun...learn what interests you and.enjoy 4th year. Intern year has a steep leaning curve regardless and its going to be painful so enjoy a few light months 4th year.