Good schools to apply to out of state for NY resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconclaw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most medical schools in NY are extremely competitive (well, before some wise ass tells me that getting into med schools is competitive in general, I know, I'm just saying it's even more so in NY) and I was wondering what good schools are there that don't discriminate too much about out of state students. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The schools in Philly and Boston are probably good since they are moderately close to NYC. Temple, Jefferson, Drexel, Tufts, BU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Roughly speaking, less OOS discrimination ~ higher mean GPA and MCAT... and/or high number of applicants.
For example, schools in DC look good in terms of OOS-friendliness, but they rank the highest in the number of applications received.

After all, getting into med school is competitive in general :whistle:

Reactions: 1 user
If you are willing to travel farther, many schools in PA and VA are known to be OOS-friendly.
Drexel, VCU, Temple, EVMS.... and maybe U of Vermont?

If you are willing to travel farther, many schools in PA and VA are known to be OOS-friendly.
Drexel, VCU, Temple, EVMS.... and maybe U of Vermont?
Yeah, I don't care how far I have to travel. I have no particular attachment to the Northeast.

You have no idea until you go through as a Californian applicant...

Reactions: 2 users
I second everything said here. All of these schools are OOS friendly.

University of Vermont accepts 70% of their incoming class from OOS.

MSAR is your friend

Most medical schools in NY are extremely competitive (well, before some wise ass tells me that getting into med schools is competitive in general, I know, I'm just saying it's even more so in NY) and I was wondering what good schools are there that don't discriminate too much about out of state students. Thanks!

All Pennsylvania schools are very OOS-friendly (none are "state" schools)
Not Drexel, it would seem:
We encourage applications from women, ethnic and racial minorities, first generation college attendees, Pennsylvania and New Jersey residents, LGBT individuals, veterans, rural, educationally disadvantaged, economically disadvantaged, and individuals who have prior careers outside of medicine.