Good smartphones for Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some old threads on this, but thought I'd start a new one since a lot of new phones have come out since then. I'm currently thinking of switching my Iphone 4s to a Samsung Note 3 once my contract renews. Any thoughts on this or on any other smartphones you guys have found useful for rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

Basically any phablet/smartphone with a larger screen is ideal (makes it much easier to use the phone for uptodate/medscape/google consulting etc) Any iphone before the iphone 6 is simply too small to be useful for web browsing. I used to have an iphone 4 and barely used it for anything except texting and making phone calls because the screen was too small and clumsy when trying to navigate the web or text based medical apps. I am currently using an LG G3 and absolutely love it. Some people suggest iPads, but honestly these can be pretty inconvient sometimes because they are too large to fit in most pockets. You will inevitably set it down at some point and forget about it and it will disappear. I'd recommend a phone with a 5.5+" screen, still small enough to easily fit in your white coat or pants pocket unlike a tablet, but large enough to make reading and web navigating on the fly a breeze.

If your contract is up, it's also worth checking with MS3s at your school which cell service has the best reception in the hospitals where you rotate-- there can be some big differences and some LARGE dead zones for some services.

iPhone 6. It's been perfect. Remember, medical publishing companies will always make an iOS app. They might not make one for Android. Cerego, an online spaced repetition app that I rely on to input my Uworld facts, is iOS only.