Good Source on Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SW0LDIER

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I've finally made it into med school (yay!) and I was looking into specialties. I don't want to get TOO ahead of myself but at the same time I was told that I'd have to do a lot of research in especially competitive fields if I wanted a chance to match, so I would like to at least narrow down my interests.

I've seen a few books on Amazon including: "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty, Third Edition" and "How To Choose A Medical Specialty: Fifth Edition" but they both have few reviews.

So..any recommendations?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Once you start med school, I think you can access AAMC's Careers in Medicine (https://www.aamc.org/cim/) website, which has some info. Other than that, google and talking to attendings/residents in fields you're interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Once you start med school, I think you can access AAMC's Careers in Medicine (https://www.aamc.org/cim/) website, which has some info. Other than that, google and talking to attendings/residents in fields you're interested in.
I would second using that website. Other methods involve joining student interest groups in specialities you might be interested in. Additionally, see if your school has a free clinic you can sign up for. Often different specialities will be covered. Try to sign up for different specialities and see what is out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your answers, I really appreciate it!

Where all have you shadowed? Does anything you've done 'speak' to you?

Where all have you shadowed? Does anything you've done 'speak' to you?

I've shadowed ENT, gen surg, cardiology, and an internal med doc (was a PCP in essence). I also work in an ER. Out of all of those I thought ENT was the most fascinating. I used to be really behind ER, but working in one for 2 years really scraped the sexiness away and made me feel like 80% of society is just looking for pain pills. That being said, a personality test consistently puts ER in my top 5 of specialties so I may change my mind. The other specialties I found were OK but cardiology and primary care struck me as particularly mundane. I could only think of interventional cardiology as the real kicker for me to get into cardio.

A true swoldier belongs in Orthopedics--just my two cents

Reactions: 3 users
A true swoldier belongs in Orthopedics--just my two cents

This is correct.

There is Orthopaedics (peeing red white and blue as eagles fly overhead screaming the cry of freedom, bikini models worked in there somewhere)

And there is all other specialties (peeing drab grey while surrounded by hordes of uniform faceless workers who are staring at your schlong, bikini models laughing at you)

Nuff said.

Swoldier Nation baby!

You guys just made my day hahaha

Hey everyone! So I've finally made it into med school (yay!) and I was looking into specialties. I don't want to get TOO ahead of myself but at the same time I was told that I'd have to do a lot of research in especially competitive fields if I wanted a chance to match, so I would like to at least narrow down my interests.

I've seen a few books on Amazon including: "The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty, Third Edition" and "How To Choose A Medical Specialty: Fifth Edition" but they both have few reviews.

So..any recommendations?

Thank you!

I ordered both those books. Figured it couldnt hurt to have some extra information. Not to be an advocate for those specific books but I dont really see a downside to buying them, just something interesting to read over the summer before school starts (again *sigh*).

Reactions: 1 user