Good sources to learn about fluids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent7860

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any sources to learn about fluid management on the floor/in the ICU? My school never really taught us well about this, and I can't seem to find any good source to learn about them. I get so confused by all of the random fluids out there (D5W, D5300, D5200, etc.)...I want to know what all of these mean/when they are used.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that the Fluid, Electrolyte and Acid-Base Companion is a good book for that stuff. I flipped through it, and it's structured very similarly to Dubin's EKG book.

Does anyone know of any sources to learn about fluid management on the floor/in the ICU? My school never really taught us well about this, and I can't seem to find any good source to learn about them. I get so confused by all of the random fluids out there (D5W, D5300, D5200, etc.)...I want to know what all of these mean/when they are used.

A rotation in nephrology. Seriously... they know and will teach you A LOT about that ****.