Good US schools for non-canadian international students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DieHardMedHpefl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know that schools can be a little picky about how many international students they accept, and some (especially state schools) do not take international students at all. Also, there is the financial aspect where loans are restricted and some schools ask for four years payment up front.

Therefore I wanted to started this thread to collect a list of schools that are great options for international students (admissions and tuition in consideration). I excluded canadians because I find that in many instances, they are lumped with the US citizens. Feel free to expatiate on your thoughts.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am definitely loving this thread right now. My advisors are honestly clueless and in a few months I need a have list of where I'm going to apply.

Most, if not all, private schools will consider international students. Only a few that I know of will offer financial aid to international students; off the top of my head: Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Yale.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do have a hard copy list of what I believe are all private medical institutions that accept internationals. More specific information like what @jjesque just provided is what I really need because I know that I can't afford to pay for all four years upfront and neither can my parents.
I need to figure out the policies for all of the schools in regards to their payments.

Most, if not all, private schools will consider international students. Only a few that I know of will offer financial aid to international students; off the top of my head: Dartmouth, Duke, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Yale.

Most private schools do consider international students, but not all of them would accept any. Johns Hopkins does not offer financial aid to international students. From my experiences, the schools that regularly take international students AND offer financial aids regardless of citizenship are Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth(limited), Columbia (limited), Duke, Vanderbilt, Cleveland Clinic of Case Western, Mayo, Brown (limited).

I think Johns Hopkins does provide aid to international students.
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/offices/finaid/international/index.html

Yale also has loans for internationals.
http://medicine.yale.edu/education/finaid/funding/loans/yale_international.aspx

Definitely avoid Tufts U as they don't accept internationals in practice (although the website says otherwise). Source: talked with the adcom myself.

Based on MSAR's stats, Harvard and Yale accept the most number of internationals...

:luck: to the dreamers! We can do this

I think Johns Hopkins does provide aid to international students.
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/offices/finaid/international/index.html

Yale also has loans for internationals.
http://medicine.yale.edu/education/finaid/funding/loans/yale_international.aspx

Definitely avoid Tufts U as they don't accept internationals in practice (although the website says otherwise). Source: talked with the adcom myself.

Based on MSAR's stats, Harvard and Yale accept the most number of internationals...

:luck: to the dreamers! We can do this

I would've applied to JHU if only I knew there's gonna be FA starting from this year...:mad:

@IXZ

OH MY ...... I just looked at your profile and I don't think I can handle that many rejections...you're still very lucky to have been accepted to at least 1 school. That's my hope right now...I would kill to be in your shoes.

@IXZ

OH MY ...... I just looked at your profile and I don't think I can handle that many rejections...you're still very lucky to have been accepted to at least 1 school. That's my hope right now...I would kill to be in your shoes.

You are right! I'm damn lucky to get that acceptance. I applied for MD/PhD for most of the schools on the list, which was a very very long shot. So, that many rejections were expected. My word of advice, don't apply for MD/PhD unless you have great stats and are very determined to pursue this track.