Got MCAT score back recently, not applying this cycle, how's it looking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patman9116

Reaction score
I'm nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Year in school: Graduated Spring of 2018 from top 25 State School with degree in Neuroscience, applying next cycle

• Country/state of residence: MN

• Schools to which you are applying: TBD, shooting for MD

• Cumulative GPA: 3.55

• Science GPA: 3.5

• MCAT Scores: 508 (127/127/127/127)

• Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): No official research experience besides that garnered from basic school curriculum - plan to enroll in ED Research Program

• Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
    • EMS Unit as EMT-B, 200 hours

• Children's Hospital volunteer: 200 hours
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: Scribing - 2000 hours

• Non-clinical volunteering:
    • AmeriCorps Position - College Possible: 1800 hours (currently doing this)

• Tutor for those Learning English/Studying for GED: 250 hours

• Homeless Shelter - staff aid: 100 hours
  • Extracurricular activities: Rock climbing, running, but mostly rock climbing

• Employment history:
    • ED technician - 2000 hours

• ED scribe - 2000 hours
  • Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars.:

• Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): yes

• Specialty of interest: Lots and lots!

• Interest in rural health (y/n): Yes, but no significant history of devoting time to such.

Thanks for any help or advice or observations or commiserating!

Members don't see this ad.

Your EC's are awesome! (lack of research could hurt you at some schools but not all) I would say 3.5/508 combined with your EC's might yield an MD acceptance if you apply really broadly, but a higher MCAT could save you.
Do you have access to the MSAR?

Also, is that a reddit template I see.

Reactions: 1 user
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your Minnesota state schools
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your EC's are awesome! (lack of research could hurt you at some schools but not all) I would say 3.5/508 combined with your EC's might yield an MD acceptance if you apply really broadly, but a higher MCAT could save you.
Do you have access to the MSAR?

Also, is that a reddit template I see.

Ahh, good eye, that is a Reddit template!! Thanks for the feedback! I do have access to the MSAR, and I've been looking into a bunch of different schools. I've been trying to compile a list where I'm at or above the 25th percentile for GPA and MCAT and they take a good amount of OOS. Should I shoot for anything above the 10th percentile instead?

The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a ~50% chance for a MD acceptance. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your Minnesota state schools
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools and you are competitive for all DO schools.

Hey, thanks for the list!! I really appreciate all that you do - I've seen so many of your replies already, and I don't come here too often.

Ahh, good eye, that is a Reddit template!! Thanks for the feedback! I do have access to the MSAR, and I've been looking into a bunch of different schools. I've been trying to compile a list where I'm at or above the 25th percentile for GPA and MCAT and they take a good amount of OOS. Should I shoot for anything above the 10th percentile instead?

Awesome! That sounds like a solid plan. I think 10th percentile is a little low. Unless you really really like the school I wouldn't add those.

I'm nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Year in school: Graduated Spring of 2018 from top 25 State School with degree in Neuroscience, applying next cycle

• Country/state of residence: MN

• Schools to which you are applying: TBD, shooting for MD

• Cumulative GPA: 3.55

• Science GPA: 3.5

• MCAT Scores: 508 (127/127/127/127)

• Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): No official research experience besides that garnered from basic school curriculum - plan to enroll in ED Research Program

• Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
    • EMS Unit as EMT-B, 200 hours

• Children's Hospital volunteer: 200 hours
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: Scribing - 2000 hours

• Non-clinical volunteering:
    • AmeriCorps Position - College Possible: 1800 hours (currently doing this)

• Tutor for those Learning English/Studying for GED: 250 hours

• Homeless Shelter - staff aid: 100 hours
  • Extracurricular activities: Rock climbing, running, but mostly rock climbing

• Employment history:
    • ED technician - 2000 hours

• ED scribe - 2000 hours
  • Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars.:

• Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): yes

• Specialty of interest: Lots and lots!

• Interest in rural health (y/n): Yes, but no significant history of devoting time to such.

Thanks for any help or advice or observations or commiserating!
I suggest:

Dartmouth
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
U MN
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.