Got rejected because of reference letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitechapel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got rejected by U of Pitts. I noticed that they required 2 of 3 reference letters from PTs, and I didn't do that. So it's the reason I got rejected?

My stat is not that bad, I wonder they even didn't review my application, and just sent a rejection letter to me.

Members don't see this ad.

Every school I applied to required 2 references from PTs... So I had them regardless.

Schools can have many reasons for rejecting. I know that Pitt loves having a diverse group of people with different backgrounds, but that they also rely heavily on stats....

I suppose there is no way of knowing why you got rejected unless you call them and someone can actually tell you.

Is there any particular reason why you decided to disregard something that they said was a requirement?

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose there is no way of knowing why you got rejected unless you call them and someone can actually tell you.

Is there any particular reason why you decided to disregard something that they said was a requirement?

Do they have a GRE cut-off? I think my AW score is a little bit lower than their minimum requirement.:eek: But the rest is fine.

Do they have a GRE cut-off? I think my AW score is a little bit lower than their minimum requirement.:eek: But the rest is fine.

OP was most likely were rejected because you applied and did not meet their requirements listed directly on PTCAS.

This is the simplest way to be cut, you did not meet the minimum bar set. The decision was made before you even submitted your application.
[Note with pre-req courses this method of reasoning changes, because it is allowed to have 1-2 outstanding requirements since you still may be in school.]

They may have a GRE cut-off as well... You could be put on a wait-list or need other mitigating factors to make-up for the low score (but you didn't get your PT rec letters anyway).

You need to prove to them you can meet the bar or raise it.

You know, I just was thinking... When i submitted my PTCAS app and they got it, I got an email from them saying that it was under review. I got an email shortly following that saying that they needed a 2nd reference from another PT. The one PT who was doing my reference hadn't submitted to PTCAS in time with my first send out date.

Pitt gave me a deadline as to when to have the 2nd letter to them, but I told them that it had been submitted and they would probably get my updated application with the next PTCAS batch send out...

So, you wouldn't have gotten eliminated because of that, because in that case they would've eliminated me and I just got accepted there.

Do you think I can submit the other letter of rec, and ask them to reconsider my application?

OP was most likely were rejected because you applied and did not meet their requirements listed directly on PTCAS.

This is the simplest way to be cut, you did not meet the minimum bar set. The decision was made before you even submitted your application.
[Note with pre-req courses this method of reasoning changes, because it is allowed to have 1-2 outstanding requirements since you still may be in school.]

They may have a GRE cut-off as well... You could be put on a wait-list or need other mitigating factors to make-up for the low score (but you didn't get your PT rec letters anyway).

You need to prove to them you can meet the bar or raise it.

You know, I just was thinking... When i submitted my PTCAS app and they got it, I got an email from them saying that it was under review. I got an email shortly following that saying that they needed a 2nd reference from another PT. The one PT who was doing my reference hadn't submitted to PTCAS in time with my first send out date.

Pitt gave me a deadline as to when to have the 2nd letter to them, but I told them that it had been submitted and they would probably get my updated application with the next PTCAS batch send out...

So, you wouldn't have gotten eliminated because of that, because in that case they would've eliminated me and I just got accepted there.

Do you think that's because they have GRE cut-off?
My AW is only 3.0 (they state on PTCAS that the minimum score for AW is 3.5), however my verbal is 500, and Q is 700.

Do you think I can submit the other letter of rec, and ask them to reconsider my application?

Maybe, but current applicants can't exactly know... Did the email say you were rejected outright, or were you wait-listed?

markelmarcel may be right about the second letter thing with reminders. But I applied later than 'her' (hope I got that right) and never got a 'under review' email. I got no contact from them until I got accepted.

Call admissions and ask to setup a phone time to talk to someone to ask about the PT letter. If they say "Yes" you may be able to add a letter to PTCAS, but you may just be SOL this cycle. Get this sorted out before their December -- admission deadline.

Random thoughts:
Did you get the 100 hours if you only had 1 PT reference?
You're verbal and quant GRE are plenty high to be competitive but unsure about AW... Did you rock your personal statement if your GRE writing score was low?
Did you apply to backup schools, since Pitt is competitive?

Last edited:
Maybe, but current applicants can't exactly know...

markelmarcel may be right about the second letter thing with reminders. But at this pi

If they say "Yes" you may be able to add a letter to PTCAS, but you may just be SOL. Get this sorted out before their December -- admission deadline.

Random thoughts:
Did you get the 100 hours if you only had 1 PT reference?
You're verbal and quant GRE are plenty high to be competitive but unsure about AW... Did you rock your personal statement if your GRE writing score was low?
Did you apply to backup schools, since Pitt is competitive?

:)Thank you very much for your reply.

1. I will try to figure out why they declined my application.

2. I've volunteered in 3 settings actually, and the total hours are 150 so far. I just got 1 reference from these settings, and 2 references from my professions. If pitt says "yes", I can get a new reference next Monday.

3. I'm not sure if they have GRE cut-off, since I know someone just got accepted, while their vebal is less than 500. (pitt states in PTCAS that the minimum score for verbal is 500)...So confused!

:)Thank you very much for your reply.

1. I will try to figure out why they declined my application.

2. I've volunteered in 3 settings actually, and the total hours are 150 so far. I just got 1 reference from these settings, and 2 references from my professions. If pitt says "yes", I can get a new reference next Monday.

3. I'm not sure if they have GRE cut-off, since I know someone just got accepted, while their vebal is less than 500. (pitt states in PTCAS that the minimum score for verbal is 500)...So confused!

Call admissions, try to talk to someone who can help with PT admissions advising. Be courteous, and interested without sounding desperate. I'm not sure what more you can do.

The whole thing's a bit of a crap shoot. Even though theoretically can be plenty competitive on paper for all the school I've applied, I just try to give my best, be patient and humble until all the cards are placed the table.
Sorry to hear about your initial troubles...

markelmarcel may be right about the second letter thing with reminders. But I applied later than 'her' (hope I got that right) and never got a 'under review' email. I got no contact from them until I got accepted.

Yes, her is correct ;) Yeah! Someone else on here said they got no contact from Pitt until their acceptance letter, but I got 2 emails from them. One saying they received all my stuff and then another asking about the second PT reference.

Interesting... And technically I didn't meet the GRE minimum... The highest verbal score I got was 490. But, on my last try I got a 5.0 for AW. It's hard to say what exactly goes through the admissions process!

I've been told that Pitt likes to have a really diverse background of students from different areas, so I think that having my education degree instead of a biology/exercise phys/something typical may have really helped with getting an acceptance.

@whitechapel. I know that we all want to know why we don't get accepted to all our schools, but really, it's just a matter of numbers, and how much space they have relative to how many applicants they get and the quality of those applicants. We can't give you an answer as to why you didn't get accepted, because no one knows except the admissions committee. I understand your frustration (hell, I'm still waiting for all the schools to tell me they received my application, thanks to the slow PTCAS process) but really, you are just going to make it worse for yourself by trying to analyze everything. Sometimes there is no clear reason.

So if you really need to get an answer to come to terms with it, then sure, give the admissions office a call. But don't expect a sufficient reply. Instead, I would recommend making sure you are ready for the interviews you WILL get, and prepare yourself for the school that you end up going to. I know, it sucks if you had your heart set on Pitt, but for all you know, it's a good thing you aren't going there.

I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your schools, and I hope you find the right program!

I know, it sucks if you had your heart set on Pitt, but for all you know, it's a good thing you aren't going there.

I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your schools, and I hope you find the right program!

+ infinity

Just might be a blessing in disguise. "Don't stress, keeps you down too much" - Kid Cudi.